Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HP CEO Leo Apotheker talks to Fortune, about HP webOS TouchPad.

How HP plans to beat the iPad.
    HP CEO Leo Apotheker says the webOS TouchPad has different features than the iPad.

Earlier this week, HP CEO Leo Apotheker sat down with Fortune's Adam Lashinsky of Fortune to talk tech. Topics included:

- HP's differentiated approach to tablets

- How the strength of HP's sales channel will impact the webOS developer ecosystem

- Competing with Cisco (In the server market, Leo says, "We don't see them...they see us much more in the networking side of the house")

- How business success affects employee morale

I love how he says that "this is not a sprint" I think that comment is a great way to look at how hp is doing things with webos. In my opinion it just makes since.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    The most important thing in the interview is "WebOS" is built on connected devices. And they want to use it everywhere from phones to .....printers. To the question about smartphones, he cleverly said its a marathon. I am sure they have more phones in the works using more form factors with many future "Touch to Share" surprises.

How about touch the printer with your phone for printing a powerpoint document ?
    That would make the business customers to run and buy three products. The phone, The printer and of course the Touchpad.
    Last edited by gbp; 04/14/2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: wording change
  4.    #4  
    Great ideas gbp.

I think Jon Rubistein said at the Engadget show something about Touch to share IM?

Sure they have more in the pipeline.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    The most important thing in the interview is "WebOS" is built on connected devices. And they want to use it everywhere from phones to .....printers. To the question about smartphones, he cleverly said its a marathon. I am sure they have more phones in the works using more form factors with many future "Touch to Share" surprises.

How about touch the printer with your phone for printing a powerpoint document ?
    That would make the business customers to run and buy three products. The phone, The printer and of course the Touchpad.
    Sounds great except you're not going to be creating powerpoint presentations on any webOS devices. How about pressing the button to print in powerpoint instead? And why would i want to touch something to share? Make it wireless (tapless too..lol). Printers are already connected anyways.

What i drew out of this interview was more about the 100 million devices platform that is their trump card to get devs. That's a heck of a gamble. I hope it pays off but right now i consider them windows devices, not HP, not webOS.

I don't want to sound too negative. I'm in for a Pre 3. I'm hoping there's a lot we still don't know or that i'm just not getting about this 100 million largest device platform they keep boasting.
    Or his reference to "vista", for that matter.
    AHH.. From 3:38 till the end.. i must have replayed it a dozen times. I love the way he says "Look.. With all due respect to my friends at Apple...." I hope the market really shifts the way he says. I have nothing against apple. I own an iPhone 3gs now. But I'm looking forward to the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Sounds great except you're not going to be creating powerpoint presentations on any webOS devices. How about pressing the button to print in powerpoint instead? And why would i want to touch something to share? Make it wireless (tapless too..lol). Printers are already connected anyways.

What i drew out of this interview was more about the 100 million devices platform that is their trump card to get devs. That's a heck of a gamble. I hope it pays off but right now i consider them windows devices, not HP, not webOS.

I don't want to sound too negative. I'm in for a Pre 3. I'm hoping there's a lot we still don't know or that i'm just not getting about this 100 million largest device platform they keep boasting.
    Oh but you are going to be creating Powerpoint content on the TouchPad, with Citrix integration you'll be able to run any office app and create content, print it, mail it, share it on the enterprise network. Something no other tablet can do today or in the near future.
    First thanks alot for telling us about this interview akitayo.

I am really looking forward to what they are always hinting about in every interview about the future. Wether it be forwarding Touch to Share or even more advanced and complex syncing technologies to connect your everyday computers and devices with each other. I do believe that the desktop computer is going to start to faze out in the coming years and be replaced with future tablets. Apple created the personal computer revolution and it seems that they may have started another. WebOS has the capability to expand so much more than anyother OS out there. iOS on the other hand is simple and powerful but restricted. Just like Apotheker said, its a marathon.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I thought Citrix is already there for iPhone and android and RIM
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    First thanks alot for telling us about this interview akitayo.

I am really looking forward to what they are always hinting about in every interview about the future. Wether it be forwarding Touch to Share or even more advanced and complex syncing technologies to connect your everyday computers and devices with each other. I do believe that the desktop computer is going to start to faze out in the coming years and be replaced with future tablets. Apple created the personal computer revolution and it seems that they may have started another. WebOS has the capability to expand so much more than anyother OS out there. iOS on the other hand is simple and powerful but restricted. Just like Apotheker said, its a marathon.
    You are welcome Rennat.

What you said is true. But HP have to rush with new apps for touch to share.

and also get the screen gestures accurate, or incorporate bezel gesture area on the next touchpad version as wellas the rear camera.

I know this thread is about the Touchpad but I am worried about the latest Apple patent concerning the bezels for the next iphone5 maybe for 2012:

Apple Patent Reveals Touch-Sensitive Buttons Underneath iPhone Bezel

Will Apple bring the bezels to the next iPad with a gesture area, as well?
    Yes they will. And it will be greatest thing ever, revolutionary even. Remember very few people have seen webos in action.
  13.    #13  
    HP should make some advertising about the gesture area something like we are the worlds first.
    RIM's and Apple's implementation of webOS features is frustrating. But for me, Palm's persistent rejecting to implement some of competition's features is even more frustrating.
    And I don't like that Idevice killer approach. Fixating Apple is pointless. They should be concentrated to deliver feature rich devices and fluently integrated OS.
    For Leo it would be good to read feature request threads here and at Palm's forums, and than to push engineers to implement some of that requests. Maybe that way we could see small thing like EQ settings at last in webOS.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    For the question, What about all the Palm products be better than Apple and Android , the answer could be "Better UI", "Real Multitasking".
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    You are welcome Rennat.

What you said is true. But HP have to rush with new apps for touch to share.

and also get the screen gestures accurate, or incorporate bezel gesture area on the next touchpad version as wellas the rear camera.

I know this thread is about the Touchpad but I am worried about the latest Apple patent concerning the bezels for the next iphone5 maybe for 2012:

Apple Patent Reveals Touch-Sensitive Buttons Underneath iPhone Bezel

Will Apple bring the bezels to the next iPad with a gesture area, as well?
    Yes, I saw that on Engadget and the first thing I thought was.... "2011, a year of the copycats?". Steve Jobs is such a hypocrite if the iPhone 5 has a 'gesture area'.

Just proves that Ruby is completely right in not fumbling around with other devices to much. Lets them create new ways of doing things and truly innovate their devices. Its a good thing and a bad thing that Blackberry is copying cards and now Apple may now copy the gesture area. Good because it seems that HPalm is now leading the market. Bad that ideas are being stolen.
    - John Wayne
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Yes, I saw that on Engadget and the first thing I thought was.... "2011, a year of the copycats?". Steve Jobs is such a hypocrite if the iPhone 5 has a 'gesture area'.

Just proves that Ruby is completely right in not fumbling around with other devices to much. Lets them create new ways of doing things and truly innovate their devices. Its a good thing and a bad thing that Blackberry is copying cards and now Apple may now copy the gesture area. Good because it seems that HPalm is now leading the market. Bad that ideas are being stolen.
    At least SJ will say as always we are not the first for the gesture area but we did it just simple.

RIM did not accept they are copycats for the webOS cards and gestures
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    RIM did not accept they are copycats for the webOS cards and gestures
    I guess RIM call it tiles and we call it cards, so it's completely different
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I guess RIM call it tiles and we call it cards, so it's completely different
    Oh.... Now I understand *wink*
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by ksht View Post
    AHH.. From 3:38 till the end.. i must have replayed it a dozen times. I love the way he says "Look.. With all due respect to my friends at Apple....Invented the PC look where they are now "
    Just fixed that for you :-) I had never really thought about apple that way, ie: invented the PC
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast