Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I'm interested in getting the touchpad for obvious reasons - Webos. But what's made me a bit reluctant is the announcement of windows 7/8 slates supporting both Intel and ARM processors. The reason for this is not because it's windows 7, it's because of certain key ingredients the w7/8 os holds. Support of almost everything out there. Examples - being able to connect through my home network and transfer files, remote desktop, making phone calls through gmail, the ability to play movies of almost any format, photoshop (yes, my little 1.6ghz atom cpu can handle cs3) are just some of the examples that come to mind. My question to the community and dev's, do you think it's possible the HP's touchpad is able to do any of the above? Or does it look like the touchpad isn't for me?
    - I don't think you will be able to transfer files through your home network.
    - You can manage your desktop remotely through Citrix.
    - You will be able to use Google Voice through 3rd party apps.
    - I don't know how many video formats the TouchPad will be able to handle, but you can count on that it will handle the basic ones (MP4, AVI, etc.)
    - Photoshop for Tablets was announced for iPad, Android and Playbook, maybe in a near future the TouchPad will be added to that list.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    that sounds pretty sweet. though i would it would be nice to have some kind of network integration.

i'm not specifically speaking about google voice, rather gmail's call and video chat funtion. i can receive and make free phone calls using gmail with my google voice number. gmail requires the browser to install a plugin, which i'm wondering, most likely not, Webos will allow.

have they mentioned if it will play HD videos?

photoshop for tablets would be amazing.
    You could do cloud computing to your home network...or check out the Simple FTP app.

I don't even know if Android tablets can do Gmail call and video. I know you can do Skype and stuff. You can answer a phone call through the Touchpad, so a Google Voice type number might work???

I don't know if it can play HD... but in regards to format, check out MPlayer app.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    First, I think that apps for all these needs will come.

Second, I want to say, that Windows 8 on ARM will most likely not hit the shelves before another 18-24 months.

Third, I imagine, that - especially business-bound HP - will then come up with a dual-boot solution with Windows AND webOS.

Conclusion: buy a webOS tablet NOW, think about a windows tablet when it has arrived in ~2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    Conclusion: buy a webOS tablet NOW, think about a windows tablet when it has arrived in ~2 years.
    Right.