1.    #1  
    Dual Core Snapdragon GPU Performance Explored - 1.5 GHz MSM8660 and Adreno 220 Benchmarks - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Wow, I am really surprised. I would have not thought this to be true. I wonder how it stacks up against the ipad2..

I just wish the Pre3 had the 220 as well
    The 220 has always been a good gpu. In fact in my opinion, its qualcomm's only good gpu. Below that one, they are all trash. I was very dissapointed to find out that the pre 3 would only have the 205. I mean, phones are now coming with things like tegra 2 and hummingbird gpu, and hp decides to put a little wimpy 205 on the pre??? I don't understand that.

Anyway, I am very glad the touchpad at least has a good gpu. I do a lot of gaming on my devices so I neeed a strong gpu to be able to handle it. I am planning on purchasing both the touchpad and the pre 3. I have a xoom now and an iphone. Love the xoom. Hate the iphone. But I now there have been several hundred time that i have said to myself, man i wish i had that touch to share thingy. Or "I wish I coukd text from my xoom" so i am very very very glad that HP put that in there. It will differentiate a lot. Lets just hope battery life is good. The xoom lasts a long time and so does I pad. With a strong gpu like that, Lets see how long it lasts while gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    I was very dissapointed to find out that the pre 3 would only have the 205. I mean, phones are now coming with things like tegra 2 and hummingbird gpu, and hp decides to put a little wimpy 205 on the pre??? I don't understand that.
    I think you might be misunderstanding who the Pre 3 is targeted at. It's made for professionals who mainly use their smartphones as productivity and connectivity tools. It's NOT made for people who use their smartphone mainly for gaming and entertainment.

I'm part of the former group and frankly couldn't care less about GPUs or gyroscopes. As long as I can play Angry Birds in five minute bursts on the bus or between meetings, my personal mobile gaming needs are met. A lot of people here fall into the latter category and should probably wait for the entertainment-centric slab phone to be released this fall (if they want to wait) instead of jumping on the Pre 3, which is gonna be a workhorse for working people as opposed to a prancing pony for playing people.
    Isnt the 205 the same processor used in the playstation phone? Admittedly I dont do too much gaming on my phone at the moment but i do a bit but i fail to see the need of a tablet grade gpu for a phone, and if it saves battery life and gets me through the day im all for it
    It IS the GPU in the Xperia Play. The need to have a CAD Workstation level GPU in a telephone arises when your phone is your sole means of self-identification and you need the absolute top spec possible in every area because it raises your self-respect, even if the inferior option gets used in Sony's PlayStation Phone (a phone that may be used for gaming by some, crushing the idea that the GPU may not be good enough for taxing games).

There's also people who don't see the use of buying a phone that isn't extreme. Why buy a phone that doesn't have *the* biggest screen? *The* highest clockspeed? *The* highest number on your GPU? *The* most well-known? Fair enough to have those beliefs, but I wonder if they buy cars the same way. Gotta be the fastest (lamborghini) or the biggest (humvee) or the most energy-efficient (tesla model S); buying any other car obviously makes no sense whatsoever. Just look at the specs. Need the latest and greatest.

Also, let's face it, some of it is the "EPIC FAIL HP!!" reflex some people on here have cultivated. HP news? FAIL! Pre3 with quickest single-core processor available in the near future?FAIL why not dual-core?? Pre3 with the PlayStation Phone's GPU? FAIL why not the TouchPad's GPU?? Ugh.

For everyone else (and especially the Pre3's explicitly stated target market of professionals), the Pre3's graphics will be enough in theory and practice. Only when you don't care about how a phone handles and just care about big numbers will the Adreno 205 not be enough... Because if HP is such a big company they could've fit a GForce GTX 590 in there somewhere!
    it is what HP can offer, in terms of softwares and functions, with these good hardware that counts.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    There's also people who don't see the use of buying a phone that isn't extreme. Why buy a phone that doesn't have *the* biggest screen? *The* highest clockspeed? *The* highest number on your GPU? *The* most well-known? Fair enough to have those beliefs, but I wonder if they buy cars the same way. Gotta be the fastest (lamborghini) or the biggest (humvee) or the most energy-efficient (tesla model S); buying any other car obviously makes no sense whatsoever. Just look at the specs. Need the latest and greatest.
    With the subsidized prices of cellphones being essentially the same, people will tend to go with the perceived best value. Bigger screen, faster processor, more apps are things that signal the brain to think "I'm getting more for my money" for alot of users. More elegant and efficient UI, while some users can't live without them, others just adapt and accept the inefficiencies of whatever OS. If Lambos cost the same as a Mustang,(and they could keep up with the demand) you would see a lot more Lambos on the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I do completely agree with you in most aspects, but I have to say I want the most powerful and best phone out there because I am tired of wanting a new phone in one or two months after buying one. However, the Pre 3 does have a 1.4 GHZ processor and a decent GPU (if Sony picked it for their PSP Phone, then it has to be decent enough). Anyone who puts it down must be crazy or nit picking. At least show some numbers to back up your claims please.

At any rate. the Pre 3 is going to be a powerful little bugger. Maybe not EVO3D powerful, but decent enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I want the most powerful and best phone out there because I am tired of wanting a new phone in one or two months after buying one.
    Understood - I feel the same way - but when you think about it, that won't ever happen, will it? You usually don't want a new phone because the old phone suddenly starts to suck but because new phones are released that make your old one look, well, old. Short of a global catastrophe knocking out all innovators in the mobile space, new and better phones will continue to be released every month for the foreseeable future. That 1,4 GHz CPU in the Pre3 or the dual-1,2 GHz CPU in the Evo 3D may look awesome now but will be eclipsed by the dual 1,5 GHz CPUs we'll see as early as this fall/winter season, and be made totally obsolete pieces of wood by the one-year mark when dual 2 GHz becomes par for the course. So it goes.

At that point, the only thing that helps against the sneaking feeling of pocket content obsolescence (well... the only thing other than buying a new phone every time something better is released, which would be very often indeed) is if your phone handles itself well despite having components that seem increasingly archaic every day. Truth be told, the original Pre is pretty bad in that respect since it never handled webOS astonishingly well - mostly due to its limited RAM considering that the Pre Plus was already a big step up. We can only assume (or hope if you're a pessimist) that the Pre 3's pretty quick components will pass the test of time a bit better. The Pre 3 is aimed at business types and comes with a GPU that Sony used in their PlayStation phone - so I reckon that you should probably still be able to play most of the newest games in a year or maybe even two.
    Man this is kind of news that should be on the front page of P/C
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    This is great news for the TouchPad. As for the Pre3 I don't really care it doesn't have the 220. I will still get it cause I love the webOS platform. Also from what I see the 205 still runs really great.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ------------------------------------------------------
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    @godshpaeHole of course! Whén it comes to tech, I always buy the best I can at the time and hope it will past the test of time. My mac has, and other devices, just not my cell phones hopefully that doesn't happen again!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    If Lambos cost the same as a Mustang,(and they could keep up with the demand) you would see a lot more Lambos on the road.
    If anything, you'd see a lot more Lambos parked at the roadside because even if people could afford your hypothetical budget Lamborghini, they'd have to take out a mortgage to fill the bugger up.

Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    @godshpaeHole of course! Whén it comes to tech, I always buy the best I can at the time and hope it will past the test of time. My mac has, and other devices, just not my cell phones hopefully that doesn't happen again!!
    My desktop computer is five years old and will be six later this year. Still works like a champ and gives me no reason to think about a replacement... but I always buy a new phone every two years and might jump early this year.
    I think phones are generally more quickly replaced than most other gadgets / electronic devices, possibly because their evolution over the last, say, 15 years has been extreme, and much more marked than that of regular computers in any case. Most people that aren't gamers only buy a new desktop/laptop when the old one breaks... but this is starting to become seriously off-topic
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 04/12/2011 at 04:10 AM.