1.    #1  
    In the event the Touchpad launches with no new devices on Sprint, I'm planning to get the wifi version and continue to use my Pre-. I've already got FreeTether, so I know I can use that for 'net access when I'm away from a wifi network.

However, there are various new features on the Touchpad that are tightly integrated with the Veer/Pre3, like receiving calls on the pad, notifications & texting.

I'm curious if anyone has some thoughts (or can point to announcements I've missed) on whether the Pre- could be used with the TP for those features? Perhaps the communication with the Veer/Pre3 will be via Bluetooth, so why not allow the same features with a BT-Pre-? If nothing else, I'd hope someone in our awesome homebrew community could hack something together.

I just hope that if Sprint passes, there'll still be enough replacement Pres in their inventory to allow me to use that solution for a while longer. My first Pre lasted about 9 months before the power switch stopped working, and since then I've had a run of bad replacements (bad radio, usb crack, screen faults).
  2.    #2  
    Oh, and I'm a dev partner under NDA, so if anyone knows of discussions on this topic over at developer.palm.com, let me know. Thanks.
    I'm sure they will not operate together. They are years apart, and the Pre3 probably uses NFC or something for that.
    it was collaborated that the used technology for sms/call forwarding is bluetooth.

So the Pre(+) and Pre2 phones should be able to do the same than the Pre3 here.
    In theory the Pre -/+ and Pre2 should be able to do most of that through bluetooth. The problem is drivers/software. They don't have to stuff needed to do it. The Pre2 might get an update to give it the ability but as it stands the originals won't.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ------------------------------------------------------
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkozaine View Post
    In theory the Pre -/+ and Pre2 should be able to do most of that through bluetooth. The problem is drivers/software. They don't have to stuff needed to do it. The Pre2 might get an update to give it the ability but as it stands the originals won't.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Well, I've only been developing on the javascript side of things, not the PDK or the kernel. I would hope the homebrewers might have some ideas on how to get this to work.
    Yes, they communicate via bluetooth, but I would imagine it would take an upgrade to webOS 3.0 for it to happen. Even the Veer out of the box won't communicate with the TouchPad until it receives a software upgrade in the near future (per Palm).