Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

I've always been skeptical into buying tablets ever since the announcement of the iPad. However, I think they're a total waste of money, imho. It's just basically an oversized phone with a little bit better performance and a bigger screen. It's not like i can't take my laptop wherever a tablet can't go, and plus my laptop has an actual keyboard and none of that on-screen stuff.

Email, games,brows the web, etc.. Fine.. I can do that on my Pre/Laptop. I don't need a 9.7" screen to check my email.

Unless there's like a huge significance between my soon to be Pre3 and the Touchpad, I don't think I'm going to get it.

Am i the only one that feels this way?

Please, let me know what you tablet enthusiast feel. I'm trying to understand :P
    I thought that way until recently, as I've seen :

A) I use my Pre2 so for most things instead of my netbook, but I want a bigger screen

B) I find the keyboard getting in the way because I don't type as much as I click on links and read.

I've determined that a tablet is worth having, although I probably would rather have one smaller than the touchpad. The B&N Nook seems like the perfect size.
    A friend summed his desire up this way...

Really great battery life, instant on, and a screen that I don't have to squint at.
    My objections are focused around lack of multiuser support, lack of parental controls in part due to the lack of multiuser support, cost vs. utility.
    Quote Originally Posted by ra88sheed View Post
    Hey guys,

I've always been skeptical into buying tablets ever since the announcement of the iPad. However, I think they're a total waste of money, imho. It's just basically an oversized phone with a little bit better performance and a bigger screen. It's not like i can't take my laptop wherever a tablet can't go, and plus my laptop has an actual keyboard and none of that on-screen stuff.

Email, games,brows the web, etc.. Fine.. I can do that on my Pre/Laptop. I don't need a 9.7" screen to check my email.

Unless there's like a huge significance between my soon to be Pre3 and the Touchpad, I don't think I'm going to get it.

Please, let me know what you tablet enthusiast feel. I'm trying to understand :P
    my feeling is that a 10" tablet is no more portable than my dm1z (it doesn't go places my dm1z can't go easily), with far fewer functions, so I won't bother.

7" tablet however, is much more portable and I already have a galaxy tab.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    The reason for me is simple. I love electronic gadgets, always have. It will simply be another new toy to play with. I've had both ipads and loved them. Looking forward to getting the webos experience on a bigger screen, and I can't wait.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    I'm on my laptop now sitting in my recliner but I RARELY use this outside of my home office desk. I would love to have something much more portable yet sizable enough to be able to see it well. I can't wait for the TouchPad! I'm hoping it will be a nice Father's Day gift in June! I can see myself using it an awful lot. I use my Pre + quite a bit now but with my old eyes (!) I would love something bigger. Can't wait for it!
    Good points.
    Right now the Tablet industry is still its very early stages. The tablets usually get pegged with the title of a "large screen with a phone OS", which is pretty much true. But the fact is that if you sit down and make a list of things you do on your laptop everyday, chances are that the TouchPad can infact do it all. What makes you go to your laptop instead of your phone? Mostly the large screen, right?

But the fact is that tablets don't quite have the versatility of a PC. They aren't as powerful editing tools for movies, photos, exc. And then there is the fact that, in our minds, they are big smartphones. As the industry develops, the OS will grow and expand until tablets can do every single thing (and more) than a laptop.

One thing I cept asking myself a while ago was why they don't just put Mac OSX or Windows on a cool slim tablet? I came to the conclusion that they just aren't optimized for touchscreens and are still living off of the basic core OS idea that was invented 20-30 years ago. Now the modern computer is passing through a time barrier were they sift from the original OS idea to the new modern OS that have been pioneered through the smart phone market. I think its alot like when a person first switches to a smartphone. They say, "Why switch? I already can do everything I want to do on this dumbphone. Talk and text is all I need on this old crappy OS." I have a feeling that once you get a tablet and recognize the use for it, you will never go without one. Apple's approach to making a intermediate device between the laptop and phone is not the way to go. They realized this and that is why they introduced the idea of "post-PC" era.
    Welcome Paleolithic to Neolithic just my 2 cents
    ---------------------------------------or a few bucks considering the size of the post. Glad you read it!!!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Good points.
    Right now the Tablet industry is still its very early stages. The tablets usually get pegged with the title of a "large screen with a phone OS", which is pretty much true. But the fact is that if you sit down and make a list of things you do on your laptop everyday, chances are that the TouchPad can infact do it all. What makes you go to your laptop instead of your phone? Mostly the large screen, right?

But the fact is that tablets don't quite have the versatility of a PC. They aren't as powerful editing tools for movies, photos, exc. And then there is the fact that, in our minds, they are big smartphones. As the industry develops, the OS will grow and expand until tablets can do every single thing (and more) than a laptop.

One thing I cept asking myself a while ago was why they don't just put Mac OSX or Windows on a cool slim tablet? I came to the conclusion that they just aren't optimized for touchscreens and are still living off of the basic core OS idea that was invented 20-30 years ago. Now the modern computer is passing through a time barrier were they sift from the original OS idea to the new modern OS that have been pioneered through the smart phone market. I think its alot like when a person first switches to a smartphone. They say, "Why switch? I already can do everything I want to do on this dumbphone. Talk and text is all I need on this old crappy OS." I have a feeling that once you get a tablet and recognize the use for it, you will never go without one. Apple's approach to making a intermediate device between the laptop and phone is not the way to go. They realized this and that is why they introduced the idea of "post-PC" era.
    Welcome Paleolithic to Neolithic just my 2 cents
    ---------------------------------------or a few bucks considering the size of the post. Glad you read it!!!
    Yea but really.. Why do I need it??
    lol lol lol ltm ltm ... Just kidding.. Just busting your chops after a long post... A good post though lol

I used to think along the same lines. After using a tablet for about a week, I would say that a tablet is usable in a lot more scenarios than a laptop.

You can carry both of them to a place just as easily, but when you get there, a tablet is much easier to use in non traditional (not flat and horizontal) places.

Additinally, reading web pages, documents, PDF, etc. can be more plesant in portrait orientation instead of landscape.

As for comparing it to your phone; the screen is bigger, the res is higher and the battery likely lasts much longer. A person can decide for themselves if that is worth the cost.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    lol lol lol ltm ltm ... Just kidding.. Just busting your chops after a long post... A good post though lol

Only you can answer that. Why do you need a smartphone, a laptop, a desktop, etc.?
    Tablets are toys until they can price compete with netbooks. Otherwise, their use-cases are severely limited.

They are basically a netbook that you can easily use standing up. If your work requires this, then is it worth the extra $ over a netbook? If not, it's just a gadget toy.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post

Its like the (old) Windows Mobile vs. WebOS. You don't 'need' WebOS because Windows Mobile can do everything you need... but not as intuitively or easily. That's the best way I can put it.
    If you didn't own a Windows Mobile device, all you need to know is it was not exactly the best OS out there but could do almost anything as far as utilities go.

PS. I like your white text trick. Nice way to get the message over lol
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    This is a great question and one I've been asking myself for some time now. I have a Toshiba Portege so I feel other then battery life, what would I be gaining? With win7 on it I am able to do so much more over a tablet.

So what is everyones thoughts on people that have the old school tablets? How can the news one benefit people like us?
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm5288 View Post

So what is everyones thoughts on people that have the old school tablets? How can the news one benefit people like us?
    First of all, take a second to acknowledge that, "No, I don't need a tablet" is a perfectly sensible answer to this question. This isn't air they are trying to get you interested in, just another consumer electronics device.

As for the notion of it having to replace a laptop, I don't think you will justify a tablet with that line of thinking. If it has to *replace* everything a current PC does, then it is likely going to fail.

Personally I see it this way, there are all the things a traditional PC can do, then there are the things you do with a PC 80% of the time. For me, a tablet can do those 80% things just fine and offer some other usability features at the same time.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Tablets are toys until they can price compete with netbooks. Otherwise, their use-cases are severely limited.

They are basically a netbook that you can easily use standing up. If your work requires this, then is it worth the extra $ over a netbook? If not, it's just a gadget toy.
    Tell that to the Asus, HP, etc. who are feeling the effects of the iPad alone. It's had a significant impact on netbook sales.

For techies, an iPad may seem like a toy, but for everyone else it's a computer and so much more.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ra88sheed View Post
    Hey guys,

Tablets beat laptops and phones in
    1. The form factor
    2. Instant On
    3. Easy to use
    4. Battery life

For casual browsing and games a tablet form factor is the best. Its always on. Lasts 10 hours. Easy to use (even the caveman can use it)
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Tell that to the Asus, HP, etc. who are feeling the effects of the iPad alone. It's had a significant impact on netbook sales.

For techies, an iPad may seem like a toy, but for everyone else it's a computer and so much more.
    Couldn't agree more!

Tablet (or even a laptop) is only as good as the intention/usage. One person may make millions out of it, while the other person may lose a million hours just playing solitaire on it.
    Here are some usages for me -
    1) I intend to use it for productivity. I'm an IT consultant. I ahve hundreds of pdfs, technical articles, case studies, and I go from one client site to another for different projects. How can I carry them with me? I need them at my fingertips as and when i need them. Sure I can put them on oogle docs, but i dont like accessing google accounts (personal) at client sites. Carrying my personal laptop and my business laptop are too much.
    2) I am into investments, Though i'm not a day trader, i like to monitor my positions atleast on a 4hour charts. Again, its not professional to login to those accounts from work laptops.
    I can quickly open my app (if available) or atleast use web/remote desktop or whatever and quickly change positions in my trade....
    3) what about when you are vacationing? isnt it so much easier to just put a tablet in your backpack? Its so much lighter and thinner.
    4) and for the reading.... i cant wait for the day i can go to my favourite starbucks order a tall coffee and sit wherever.... not ecessarily where there is a table or where a plug point is available.. i can just relax and open a favourite kindle book or even a magazine and sip my coffee...
    point is - possibilities are endless. If you primarily want to use it to play angry birds, tablet is the most expensive gaming toy. But if you want to use it for productivity (iPad can never do this i guess...anyway..) then its a beautiful investment. And of course, its not all work.. thats why i'm hoping Hulu, netflix and others will be offered.

hope this helps anyone who is skeptical.
    My 80 year old mother wants a 3G iPad. She has never touched a computer in here life, but a tablet is perfect for her for email and lite web surfing, since it is about the easiest thing to use. I'm thinking a 3G TouchPad might be a better choice especially if it does not have to tether to a computer for updates.
    PDA History:

Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

Touchpad
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Because I can't get my texts, calls, and apps on my laptop
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Tablets beat laptops and phones in
    1. The form factor
    2. Instant On
    3. Easy to use
    4. Battery life

For casual browsing and games a tablet form factor is the best. Its always on. Lasts 10 hours. Easy to use (even the caveman can use it)
    Tablet function is extremely limited, unless its much more portable than a laptop, its advantages are small.

I would agree a 7" pad is extremely portable, hold for prolonged period in one hand, fit in pocket. But a 10" pad? no, a 10" pad constantly needs a surface to lay on, and need a bag to carry, can't be used in many more places than a laptop. Mainly, home, office, passenger seat.

7" tab has its place in a phone-tab-laptop-desktop line up (maybe completely for many people), 10" tab is awkward, it can't replace laptop, and it can't go where laptop can't.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast