1.    #1  
    I came across this article on ars and it is incredible to imagine that after a month of availability Honeycomb only has about 50 native apps. They also mention how Google is hampering development, and what Apple did to spur development. It sounds like HP releasing the SDK is a HUGE step in the right direction.

One month later, Honeycomb has just 50 native apps
    Yeah, I read this article earlier today as well. I'm glad HP did not rush the TouchPad. Itís crazy that Honeycomb only has about 50 native apps after about being on the market for a month. HP is definitely taking a step in the right direction by releasing the beta SDK for 3.0 yesterday. Now devs can start working on creating apps for the TouchPad before launch. In addition HP seems to be working on making partnerships with big name devs as well; i.e. -
    Want TouchPad apps? Grapple Mobile is already working on it | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

It seems like the TouchPad will launch with well over 50 native apps and will have a great launch; 2nd probably only to the iPad (or least thatís what I hope). Only time will tell, however I think the TouchPad will do much better than the PlayBook, and the slew of Honeycomb tablets that will launch this summer.
    I highly doubt that the touchpad will even beat this. My guess is the touchpad will have more than 50 apps after a month but still less than android. By this summer android will have thousands and have a faster rate and larger catalog to move over thus only speeding up as time goes.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Only time will tell, however I think the TouchPad will do much better than the PlayBook, and the slew of Honeycomb tablets that will launch this summer.
    You mean that "thing" that will be made available without Mail, calendar and contacts at first? Yeah, I'm pretty sure the TouchPad does better than that...
    BlackBerry PlayBook FAQ confirms native email, calendar and contacts apps, just not at launch -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    I highly doubt that the touchpad will even beat this. My guess is the touchpad will have more than 50 apps after a month but still less than android. By this summer android will have thousands and have a faster rate and larger catalog to move over thus only speeding up as time goes.

That may or may not be the case. Even if Honeycomb ends up with way more native apps than webOS has on the TouchPad, I believe that the Touchpad will be a solid #2 in the tablet wars by the end of the year.

I don't see honeycomb gaining traction until the summer, when other Honeycomb tablets are released. As for the PlayBook, it seems like it's being rushed to market. It won't have mail, calender, contacts unless you have a Blackberry. The only alternative is to view your email & calender accounts in the browser until they release an update. In addition Rim appears to be falling back on Android developers porting their apps over as well.

I'm glad HP is not rushing the TouchPad, and it looks like they will be the only ones other than Apple to have a good & well rounded launch. Like Apple, HP has released the SDK months ahead of time, and HP is also working behind the scenes to get as many big name devs as possible on board before launch. The TouchPad will be a success, and I look forward to getting one.

webOS FTW!!!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    That may or may not be the case. Even if Honeycomb ends up with way more native apps than webOS has on the TouchPad, I believe that the Touchpad will be a solid #2 in the tablet wars by the end of the year.

I don't see honeycomb gaining traction until the summer, when other Honeycomb tablets are released. As for the PlayBook, it seems like it's being rushed to market. It won't have mail, calender, contacts unless you have a Blackberry. The only alternative is to view your email & calender accounts in the browser until they release an update. In addition Rim appears to be falling back on Android developers porting their apps over as well.

I'm glad HP is not rushing the TouchPad, and it looks like they will be the only ones other than Apple to have a good & well rounded launch. Like Apple, HP has released the SDK months ahead of time, and HP is also working behind the scenes to get as many big name devs as possible on board before launch. The TouchPad will be a success, and I look forward to getting one.

webOS FTW!!!

In the PreCentral article about releasing the 3.0 SDK it made it seem that it had already been released to decent number of 'big time' developers. I am still holding out hope that a week or two before the release they are going to announce some big time apps for it.

I'm still holding out hope that it launches with an AtBat app!
    The June 6 HP Discover conference sure sounds like a good stage to make announcements regarding the launch of webOS 3.0 and Enyo app numbers.
    If HP is planning on backing up all their talk, which I do think they are, we should be well over the 50 android has for tablets come June, I expect a minimum of 150 at launch and thats a conservative figure

Google seems to be struggling with what to do with tablets, first they try to prevent tablets like the galaxy tab running 2.2 but now that they have 3.0 out they dont seem much more eager for the platform to advance. The Xoom was released too early and against the ipad they really arent looking very compelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    If HP is planning on backing up all their talk, which I do think they are, we should be well over the 50 android has for tablets come June, I expect a minimum of 150 at launch and thats a conservative figure

Google seems to be struggling with what to do with tablets, first they try to prevent tablets like the galaxy tab running 2.2 but now that they have 3.0 out they dont seem much more eager for the platform to advance. The Xoom was released too early and against the ipad they really arent looking very compelling.
    That's one advantage HP has over Google: HP has one OS, running on one tablet with top-notch software. HP can formulate their own strategy for their tablet, and Google is trying to do the same by controlling access to Honeycomb.

The other advantage is ease of development. You're still developing using Javascript, and Enyo has the potential to make the process even easier. Throw in the fact that HP is inviting every developer, from "big names" to your high school classmate, to use the 3.0 SDK for free, and the Touchpad has a legitimate chance at claiming #2 in the tablet space.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just FYI, if you go over to the Androidcentral forums youíll see a sticky-ed thread with userís feedback claiming apps that people have confirmed work well on the Xoom.

Itís currently at 106 and climes by a couple apps a day.

For sure honeycomb/xoom was rushed and isnít complete yet (releasing with a microSD slot that still isnít supported is inexcusable) but the thing is off and running and only gaining speed. When the HP tablet is released it will have a long way to go to catch up.

Not to mention the Touchpad is gong to be in crowded waters when it does release. Look at some of the tablets coming out shortly like that EEE transformer one (already has a status page on Best Buy.) $400 for a 1280x800 10.1Ē tablet that can also dock to a keyboard turning it into a netbook with battery life in the teens of hoursÖ

Lastly, all this competition is good for us the consumers. You guys are talking like you want to see all of HPs competitors go out of business.

-Suntan
    I got to play with a Xoom today and I do have to admit, the thing is pretty sick. Feels solid in my hand, nice weight, responsiveness is great, the display is gorgeous. Everything about it is pretty good. Although great, it definitely has some cons - very laggy at some points, flash sucks (sucks anyways), a few other things I can't remember.

I can't wait to get my hands on the TouchPad, although I wish the TP would be metal instead of plastic, the metal is really nice.
    Sprint Love
    HP should pump big buck to major IOS and Android devs to jump in, just Like MS. IOS and Android cracked apps could be downloaded from anywhere, directly from devices, so I'm sure that their devs are not so rich and loaded as it may look. No one is asking them to ditch IOS or Android. Its enough to spread their apps to webOS versions. I bet if HP announce tomorrow that they have $200 - $500.000.000 budget for developer fees, this time their mailboxes would really explode. 3 months from that announcement, we would have few thousand quality apps.
    Should offer $200.000.000. Shameless and straight. Gloves of, direct example of deep pockets and willingness.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Should offer $. Shameless and straight. Gloves of, direct example of deep pockets and willingness.
    I was hoping that they'd have another hot apps, and announce that from June through the end of the year HP will waive their 30% share for any new/updated apps.
    I'm hoping that hp is using this extra time to help big named developers get their enyo apps ready for day one.i too suspect tha tthe touch pad will have already several hundred native apps at launch.

I think the hot apps competition will come after the sdk leaves beta