Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    after the presentations HP staff wandered around with the touchpad - heres some comments & titbits picked up:

touchpad is in beta testing with staffers who can take it home & to work events only
    the verion on show had a GSM standard sizs SIM (on vodaphone but he'd just bought this down the street)
    software was clearly notready for big time - and rep put it away when cameras came out
    maps - he didn't have a demo but when i asked rep admitted they were working hard on a new map app with someone - i asked goggle & the response implied not
    gestures - rep explained that the interface guys decided it would be to confusing to work on the touchpad - they had tried early on
    he made the point that their research had shown gestures were not inutative with many phones returned because all people could do was swipe away - not back or side (!)
    i mentioned that bb had managed - response was "well we'll see how they do (big grim)"
    screen looked very bright
    also:

webos on pcs:

only on new HP PCs
    seemed to think webos calendar & email app would be so good users would use this instead of other PC software

on products:

seem very committed to getting the announce date/ relase date period down
    new range could be expected by the end of the year

he said the touchpad battery life was decent - all day "no problem"
    he was using a Pre2 as his main phone
    Gestures , confusing? No side to side?? Reall?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by 60milesmile View Post
    on products:

seem very committed to getting the announce date/ relase date period down
    new range could be expected by the end of the year

he said the touchpad battery life was decent - all day "no problem"
    he was using a Pre2 as his main phone
    These are good to hear. My thought with the whole HP purchase is that they were basically starting over. Using the same basic design and OS, but starting over with marketing, addition of employees, etc. Come the end of the year, we may see an explosion of new products. We're all so focused on the Pre3/Veer/10" TP that once they show what else is in the pipeline, we'll all be shocked.

I like the mention about the battery life, but I'm really interested to hear the specs and the official life time (although those are never too accurate, it gives an idea).

Thanks for this!
    I hate to say this everyone, but everytime i see a video of the touchpad being demoed, the UI looks really laggy.

I know they haven't optimized it yet, but they need to get on that ASAP. Responsiveness is so key to a great user experience.

And the touchpad has the hardware to make it scream. Get optimizin' fellas!
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i could understand people being confused about gestures. but at least leave it as an option....
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    The Pre 3 and Veer still have a gesture area, and were announced on the same day as the TouchPad. What makes anyone think the gesture area is done for? It's out of ONE new product for which one-handed usability is not an issue and on which swipes would have had to be much longer - kind of like swiping across the entire length of a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    The Pre 3 and Veer still have a gesture area, and were announced on the same day as the TouchPad. What makes anyone think the gesture area is done for? It's out of ONE new product for which one-handed usability is not an issue and on which swipes would have had to be much longer - kind of like swiping across the entire length of a phone.
    The pre3 is the last Palm developed product. We'll see but I wouldn't be surprised.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Removing the gesture area from future phones would be shear idiocy. Perhaps if HP made sure that the carrier reps actually knew how to use the phones and demonstrate the gestures to people, they wouldn't have people confused by it. The only "confusion" stems from the fact that it is a paradigm shift. People aren't used to doing it. When I picked up the Pre Plus, even having read about webOS for a while before hand, I had some initial issues with the gestures. Then I watched the video, realizing that the gestures normally start in the middle of the gesture area, for example, and it quickly clicked.

In other words, once someone sees what the gestures do and how to do them, they pick it up almost immediately. It's very intuitive to use once you know the paradigm. Think about taking someone who has never used a PC and putting them in front of a a computer with the mouse in hand and tell them to "just click on that icon". Think they might be confused? Of course. Seen that reaction a number of times with older people. Once they get the paradigm, it becomes second nature. Now most of us think left clicking the mouse on an object is "intuitive" when it really isn't.

Hopefully HP doesn't cede one of webOS' greatest advantages because of this.
    Unfortunately they guy is right with about the gestures. Let one of your friends who has 0 experience with webOS use your phone for a while and they will ask you things like "How do I go back?" or "How do I exit the app?". Once you explain them about the gesture area they will find it even simplier than buttons but it shows that the learning curve of the gesture area is bigger than the iOS virtual buttons or Android physical buttons.
    Palm/hp couldn't figure out how to do gerstres on touchpad or were they trying to make an ipad clone.

They never stop disappointing me. First they give us stacks and take away minicards. They give us named pages and take away the ability to homebrew the launcher but they they keep bragging about the homebrew community.

Why everytime we get something new we have to loose something valuable. I liked it better when webos was webos, or maybe it's when palm was palm
    what else is the gesture area for? I go up, I go left and I go right. Am I missing something magical?
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    Unfortunately they guy is right with about the gestures. Let one of your friends who has 0 experience with webOS use your phone for a while and they will ask you things like "How do I go back?" or "How do I exit the app?". Once you explain them about the gesture area they will find it even simplier than buttons but it shows that the learning curve of the gesture area is bigger than the iOS virtual buttons or Android physical buttons.
    I hear HP will be labeling the gesture area with the words "Just Swipe"
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    i think it would actually be much more sensible to use the gesture area as a semi transparent bar that you could swipe on at the bottom of the screen but oh well
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I've read that part of the decision on doing awaywith the gesture area was that the TP had enough real estate that it didn't need the gesure area. The phones don't have the real estate.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    I think the gesture area is ideal for phones, where many times you are holding the device in one hand and performing gestures with that same hand. On a tablet you are usually using one hand to hold it & the other to interact with it , so the need for gestures is not essential.

When I use other peoples iPhones, iPod touches, etc. I often mistakenly perform gestures because it feels more intuitive & I'm used to it. When I use other people's Ipads I don't have an inclination to use a gesture. The home button works just fine, and feels right. I really don't think gestures missing from the TouchPad will be a big deal once we all start using one.
    I was at the WebOSConnect event in London and watched over someone's shoulder for about 10 minutes as he had a play on the touchpad - plus I had a momentary "hold" of the machine.

Have to say that I didn't notice any particular lag at all.

Screen was bright and clear.

Clearly a very basic set of software - nothing particularly interesting (eg Quickoffice still just read-only)... and sadly we couldn't get it to connect to the wifi in the building (but lots of people were having trouble on all sorts of devices), so couldn't test the browser.

It was heavier than I expected, but felt extremely solid and nicely made.

Impressed so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    In other words, once someone sees what the gestures do and how to do them, they pick it up almost immediately.
    I know there is a separate thread debating this, but to this point, I have to disagree.

How do you appeal to the mass market, when some people don't get it?

My mom, for instance, has had a Pre- since September of 2009. She still doesn't get the whole gesture area. Throw a button on there, and that's simple. It's something everyone can pick up. Hell, I'm even thinking my dad can get that.

That debate is a dead horse though.

gestures - rep explained that the interface guys decided it would be to confusing to work on the touchpad - they had tried early on
    The part about gestures not being intuitive: who wants to bet those were Verizon users? Remember how the Verizon people weren't really showing the devices or selling them? I'll be they never explained the gestures to people. So sure, without anyone ever telling me about gestures, I'd have no idea they exist. (Plus most people don't read manuals - I've never understood this, but it's true)

But really, gestures is one of the features I love most about webOS. Saves screen space and once you know about it, it's so intuitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Removing the gesture area from future phones would be shear idiocy. Perhaps if HP made sure that the carrier reps actually knew how to use the phones and demonstrate the gestures to people, they wouldn't have people confused by it. The only "confusion" stems from the fact that it is a paradigm shift. People aren't used to doing it. When I picked up the Pre Plus, even having read about webOS for a while before hand, I had some initial issues with the gestures. Then I watched the video, realizing that the gestures normally start in the middle of the gesture area, for example, and it quickly clicked.

In other words, once someone sees what the gestures do and how to do them, they pick it up almost immediately. It's very intuitive to use once you know the paradigm. Think about taking someone who has never used a PC and putting them in front of a a computer with the mouse in hand and tell them to "just click on that icon". Think they might be confused? Of course. Seen that reaction a number of times with older people. Once they get the paradigm, it becomes second nature. Now most of us think left clicking the mouse on an object is "intuitive" when it really isn't.

Hopefully HP doesn't cede one of webOS' greatest advantages because of this.
    Exactly, I couldn't have said it better! Thanks.
    On first run the phone demos the gesture area and makes you do different gestures so you know how. If that doesn't teach people then I agree its Not intuitive.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast