Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    As I said in another thread...

Gestures that WebOS uses are not intuitive in the sense of a computer/machine. We're used to buttons that we press and make things happen.

However, in a natural "interact with the world" sense, they are very intuitive.

The trick is simply getting the users brain to stop thinking in the computer box that we all are use to. A poster earlier commented how their friends have a hard time figuring it out at first, but then it feels natural. That's going to be the case for most everyone. You look for whats familiar and typical for the type of device you use, but once you see the correct way it feels more natural and less manufactured or mechanical. Which helps create the natural feeling organic flow that makes WebOS such a treat to use.

I really, REALLY hope they optimize the OS for Gestures. Its one of the things I'm finding most disappointing with the iPad2 right now. In some cases, like pictures and the home screen Apple gets it right. In other things, like navigating through iTunes, it just is mindnumbling head scratching why they only use buttons. I specifically have begun using a new Broswer called "Terra" because I can two finger swipe to go Back/Forward and I can three finger swipe to go to Next Tab/Previous Tab, a wonderful experience that brings a little of that WebOS feel to the iPad.

Hopefully they don't fully abandon gestures and simply move to multi-fingered gestures for the TouchPad. If they don't and the rumored iOS5 gesture support goes in, it'll be a case of WebOS moving a step back as the competitors take one forward.
    There could be both - gestures and virtual keys.
    I was in verizon store last week to look at the pre2, asked the lady if we still had advanced gestures and none of them in the store knew what it was or how to turn it on.
    At least they knew what Pre 2 is and didn't laugh at you. Last summer, I've asked friend to buy me Pixi from At&t. No one knew in what is it.
    Back on track... gestures should remain, but that shouldn't exclude arrows.
    Last edited by chalx; 04/01/2011 at 06:13 PM.
  5.    #25  
    that'll teach me not to keep up with my thread....

the rep (he wasnt a rep but the head of the software team & a ex palm empolyee - i can't remember his name though and rep is short - anyway)

the rep made it clear that gesutres will contiune on the phones - just not on the touchpad line of devices. His point about people not "getting it" was a supplmentary to the fact the touchpad deveolpers thought it was too confuing as the device would be used from all angles. I made the point that bb used gestures & he made it clear everyone @ palm thought they were mad.
    I can see the reasoning behind not using gestures on the tablet. Especially since it's something you will rotate a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by 60milesmile View Post
    that'll teach me not to keep up with my thread....

the rep (he wasnt a rep but the head of the software team & a ex palm empolyee - i can't remember his name though and rep is short - anyway)

the rep made it clear that gesutres will contiune on the phones - just not on the touchpad line of devices. His point about people not "getting it" was a supplmentary to the fact the touchpad deveolpers thought it was too confuing as the device would be used from all angles. I made the point that bb used gestures & he made it clear everyone @ palm thought they were mad.
    Well...thank God for that. At least they have some sense. Gestures make the phone SO much easier to work with. Removing them would have been dumb.
    Gestures are not intuitive but that does not mean they cannot be successful with the average user.

Look at the "pinch" feature with the Iphone. I remember when the Iphone first came out when you went to the Apple store all the reps were teaching people about it. Now it is the best way to perform zoom in zoom out.

Users can learn advanced useful features but it is about teaching them AKA the reps at Sprint, Verizon, Rogers, Bell,.....etc.

Since, however HP does not have an HP Store like apple and cannot control what rep do and do not teach people I have to agree it makes more sense to leave it off of phones and touchpads (or have it in addition to virtual or physical buttons)

unless there was a 5 minute tutorial you HAD to pass when you start up the phone on gestures....which no one would like.

I think a great way to do gestures and make it or intuitive is a tap on the right or left side of the gesture area will perform back or forward, like a mouse. Center tap same functionality and swipes will still work the same.

That way a few taps and you can figure it all out by trial and error
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I thought most of the gestures on the phone were very intuitive. Apple has videos that explain their "gestures" on their Macs or at least the different things that can be done w/the track pad. And, no, a test/tutorial doesn't need to be passed before you can buy a Mac so I'm not sure why someone would consider that for HP.

Just have an accurate tutorial. Not that hard, IMO--certainly not as an option.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12