Hi all,

FYI.

Take care,

Jay

HP TouchPad seeks to exploit iPad Achilles' heel

HP TouchPad seeks to exploit iPad Achilles heel

Barbara Darrow, Senior News Director

Published: 29 Mar 2011

LAS VEGAS -- Hewlett-Packard Co. and its partners said the HP TouchPad can win over iPad business users who have had their fill of iTunes “tyranny.”

Many business users in love with their Apple iPads have forced their corporate IT to accept the consumer devices, but even those same users say iPad’s reliance on iTunes has its drawbacks.

ITunes serves as the sole on-ramp (and bottleneck) for iPad apps. Any kind of application that runs on the iPad must travel from iTunes, across Apple Inc.’s proprietary white cord into the device.

HP is banking that its partners –which it is encouraging to develop mobile practices around WebOS—can convince those customers to cut that white cord and go with the upcoming HP TouchPad.

HP: Businesses need to cut Apple’s white cord
    Several attendees of this week’s HP Americas Partners Conference think they can do just that. “I think there’s a real market for a business-oriented touch device that will work with desktop peripherals as needed,” said Rick Chernick, CEO of Green Bay, Wisc.-based Camera Corner/Connecting Point, a long-time HP partner.

HP showed off demo devices on the show floor here. Three models—with 16, 32 and 64 gigs of memory—are due sometime “this summer.” One HP exec said to expect a first WiFi-only model to debut in June, along with the upcoming WebOS 3.0.

Two partner execs at the show said HP has a shot at this market, but it will be a tough row to hoe. Pulling out their iPads to illustrate the point, they said the HP device along with the Motorola Xoom and the Cisco Cius are all nice, but none of them have as nice a look and feel as the iPad.

Pushing WebOS as business-friendly iOS alternative
    HP channel chief Stephen DiFranco said HP is dead serious about this TouchPad/WebOS push while recognizing the head start Apple has with its consumer-oriented tablet.

“The feedback is there isn’t a sense of security with an iPad and that is a corporation’s major concern. With WebOS you don’t need a machine with a white cord to tie in and authorize your device. WebOS is truly cloud based. With WebOS I can take my SIM card and put it into another Palm and in five minutes have my complete calendar, Outlook, all the apps I’ve downloaded and not even need to be tied to a PC,” DiFranco noted.

In an HP Americas Partner Conference session here Tuesday, Todd Achilles, an HP VP focused on telco providers, led a crowded session on the TouchPad as a corporate device. WebOS, he said, will provide a clean, secure way for IT to push out corporate apps to authorized users. “You can just push a URL out to your employees only, they click on the download and get their proprietary app. It’s a very clean way to manage employee devices,” he noted.

WebOS 3.0 will support 128-bit SSL encryption and “most of” Microsoft’s ActiveSync profiles, he said. The new TouchPad will ship with Quickoffice to allow viewing and editing of Microsoft Office documents, an Open Search feature to find corporate resources, plus wireless printing.

Karen Appleton, VP of business development with Box.Net, an ISV that develops content management applications for such devices, said she has high hopes for HP because of the corporate marketing and sales push it can put behind TouchPad.

She doesn’t see ITunes as a negative for Apple at all. The bigger problem is that HP can bring the full force of its own business sales force (and its partners) to move TouchPads into business accounts whereas Apple has “barely started” an enterprise sales force, she said.

Leigh Carpenter, director of strategic services for San Diego-based Nth Generation Computing Inc., said she’s very interested in the new machines but it’s not clear yet how WebOS will do. “It will be hard to beat the iPad,” she said.

WebOS, despite its Palm Computing pedigree, is not the only contender to the iPad/iOS mantle: IDC this week projected that Microsoft Windows 7 Phone will surpass iPhone sales by 2015, although that news prompted skepticism.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    finally some good info...
    Active Sync
    Document Editing
    128 bit security
    someone said they it will be "Hard"
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Quote Originally Posted by nightdevil21 View Post
    finally some good info...
    Active Sync
    Document Editing
    128 bit security
    someone said they it will be "Hard"
    If it didnt have that out the door they'll have a harder time than most would have thought breaking into this market

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    HP showed off demo devices on the show floor here. Three models—with 16, 32 and 64 gigs of memory—are due sometime “this summer.” One HP exec said to expect a first WiFi-only model to debut in June, along with the upcoming WebOS 3.0.
    Whu... 64gb? When did that pop up or have I missed something?
    Nice Read.
    Thank you.
    Just call me Berd.
    I think ios5 will be more business friendly too. RIM, HP, and Apple will be fighting hard.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Well iOS has business apps, but can IT really control employees' devices like they can on BB? Does anyone besides those likely on NDA know what iOS5 will have?

And I didn't know Cisco was releasing something. Tablet wars are on! I'm still leaning toward iPad 2 for a new tablet(the iPad 1 I have was not new) but others still have time to get my dollar. Maybe I'd better wait until summer anyway. Looks like anyone(besides Apple) with a tablet out will have a track record and reviews.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by whodo_voodoo View Post
    I am sure there will be lots that pops up that we havent seen/heard before. Personally I dont care what Apple and others do, my intrest is webOS devices.

Once HP start rolling out its devices, its game on.

Stay tuned!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Well iOS has business apps, but can IT really control employees' devices like they can on BB? Does anyone besides those likely on NDA know what iOS5 will have?

And I didn't know Cisco was releasing something. Tablet wars are on! I'm still leaning toward iPad 2 for a new tablet(the iPad 1 I have was not new) but others still have time to get my dollar. Maybe I'd better wait until summer anyway. Looks like anyone(besides Apple) with a tablet out will have a track record and reviews.
    I think you should hold tight and see what the touchpad has to offer.
    HP isn't the only one to wait for though. The best for my needs will win. At the prices they want(which is understandable), I'm looking at all options. $500 and up looks like chump change to quite a few. But in reality, it can be a significant amount of money. The wrong choice means trying to resell the device to recoup some of the loss(unless within the store return period) and starting over.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    It doesn't take much to meet my needs..

just a smoooth body, something I don't want to let go of and something that is a pleasure to touch. It also should be very sensitive and fun to play with but have a serious side too, working together with me to accomplish my goals ;-)
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    I don't get the connection between iTunes and applications in this article. iTunes isn't needed to install, store, use or manage applications in any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I don't get the connection between iTunes and applications in this article. iTunes isn't needed to install, store, use or manage applications in any way.
    yes and no

you need an itunes account to be able to browse and download apps from the appstore.

You also need itunes to intially setup the iPad and you need itunes to sync any data between your pc and tablet(natively)
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    When it comes to managing apps it is.. Think IT wanting to control the apps that get put on the i(whatever) it needs to be connected to itunes

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    There a re many negatives with iPad. But the competition is timid. As long as the build quality of the other tablets stays below iPad, it will be tough to market them as iPad's competition.

Besides folks don't mind using iTunes, just like they are living without Adobe's flash.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    There a re many negatives with iPad. But the competition is timid. As long as the build quality of the other tablets stays below iPad, it will be tough to market them as iPad's competition.

Besides folks don't mind using iTunes, just like they are living without Adobe's flash.
    Hi, I agree with you, the quality must be there as well as firms must be aggressive as they take on apple.

There are a number of Itunes lawsuits that are progressing within the court system...a number of the center on the fact that Apple controls what devices can and cannot use Itunes, some of the lawsuits have been brought by consumers and others by Apple's competitors.......it will be interesting to see how these play out...Apple is behaving as badly as MS when Apple carried on about MS horrid behavior!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by whodo_voodoo View Post
    Oh man I hope that's true 64gbs would be a deal breaker for me. I have an iPad 2 now and am seriously considering dumping it once the TouchPad comes out. I don't think pepole realize how closed off iOS is if they don't know anything different, to me it's shocking.
    [QUOTE=sketch42;2925283]When it comes to managing apps it is.. Think IT wanting to control the apps that get put on the i(whatever) it needs to be connected to itunes

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [url=

I have only plugged my iPad2 in one time. The day I got it. And I have downloaded over 100 apps wirelessly. This article doesnt make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    It doesn't take much to meet my needs..

just a smoooth body, something I don't want to let go of and something that is a pleasure to touch. It also should be very sensitive and fun to play with but have a serious side too, working together with me to accomplish my goals ;-)
    I have never posted until now. But i can't resist what you are describing here.
    oh ..wait a minute.. are you describing a tablet device?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    yes and no

you need an itunes account to be able to browse and download apps from the appstore.

You also need itunes to intially setup the iPad and you need itunes to sync any data between your pc and tablet(natively)
    I think that's the point the article is trying to make with respect with corporate hardware. Most IT departments are going to want to control this themselves for company issued hardware.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast