Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kipplitz View Post
    I have to chime in here just a bit...

I really don't mind iTunes, true...but dealing with no Flash support is a complete pain in the buttocks. I really like the build quality and overall user experience with the iPad BUT the lack of Flash support and a few other short comings has definitely tainted my feelings on the iPad as well as others in my home. So much so that as soon as the Touchpad arrives with Flash support it will find a new owner on eBay.

You can say "No Flash support is not a big deal"...but I have had to pull my laptop out to finish something I want to see, do, interact with one too many times...this is proof enough to me that the iPad is not-all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips...bye bye iPad.

KippLitz
    Doesn't matter....some will not "see it" because Jobs has not told them to. Missing 40% of something is significant in any regard (Having 40% of your HDTV picture blacked out, leaving your shift with 40% of the workday left, failing 40% of the questions on a test (aka an "F"), having 40% of your front windshield cracked, etc...)

iOS may have "an app for a site" but you can bet 40% of sites dont't have an app for that
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 04/03/2011 at 03:07 AM.
    First let me make clear that I'm sick of corporations making decisions for us. But the Flash problem lies partially with Adobe. They are taking too long to write leaner code for mobile or even desktop. Often when you see reviews on Flash for mobile, they aren't the best reviews. My laptop still runs high CPU when Flash is required and I've downloaded at least 10 of their updates(they seem to have one every month due to security issues). I'm not sure the code has gotten any lighter.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I was responding to the poster who said he only needed to plug his iPad 2 in once, and downloads all apps over the air. I'm just asking how about routine maintenance? It must be done though iTunes.
    I was just wondering your thoughts or anyone elses concerning backups, what's the speculation on how they would be handled.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Doesn't matter....some will not "see it" because Jobs has not told them to. Missing 40% of something is significant in any regard (Having 40% of your HDTV picture blacked out, leaving your shift with 40% of the workday left, failing 40% of the questions on a test (aka an "F"), having 40% of your front windshield cracked, etc...)

iOS may have "an app for a site" but you can bet 40% of sites dont't have an app for that
    It will be interesting to see how well flash run's on the Touchpad and what the trade offs are. Hopefully it will not get warm enough to toast bread.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    I was just wondering your thoughts or anyone elses concerning backups, what's the speculation on how they would be handled.
    I would go with both computer and cloud backup. Have one in both places, just in case.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I can't find the setting to sync OTA with Google. Can you point me in the right direction please? So far, I've always had to sync within iTunes to Google. All I can see is mail, notes and calendar sync in the Gmail settings.
    Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device : Google Sync (ActiveSync) - Google Mobile Help

This applies to both the iPhone and iPad.
    I see, so you must use Exchange Mail settings. That's why I missed all that.

i think there are several different solutions that can appeal to businesses. Where some may need an app they can sell to the world, like software for managing a werehouse other businesses may need one off software help to make software for that company and only that company to use. Not for sale to others. Like maybe a military application or something specific to what only that company does. Like maybe it's an app designed for scientific research only done in one or two labs in the world. Regardless any help HP can provide customers is good for their business. I'm sure apple does that too. These things are likely to be less publically visable because the average consumer at best buy isn't interested. i'm sure these services are more advertised though business channels and trade magazines etc. But whatever HP can do helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how well flash run's on the Touchpad and what the trade offs are. Hopefully it will not get warm enough to toast bread.
    Aw......but TouchPad tosted bread is awesome and taste just like WebOS.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    So THAT's what they mean by having WebOS on a toaster!!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Ahh. I have not had the privelage of having toast made by a Touchpad running flash. And hopefully, when I finally get my Touchpad, I never will
    One of the biggest hurdles in a business environment is the iTunes Store. The entire iOS design is a single-user model. Take for example one of my customers that is in the service industry: they've equipped their technicians with 3G iPads so they may access a web-based pricing and POS system. They wanted to develop it as a native app, but because they are under a 500-employee business Apple won't let them circumvent the App Store. So it would require them to submit their proprietary app to the App Store, which is a hassle. They also bought apps for each of the iPads (about a dozen), so they have to use one computer to image all the iPads exactly. This brings in all types of problems when it comes to licensing multiple copies of an app.
    Thanks! Great read. Comperate businesses having to activated via PC is not the best thing since sliced bread.... WebOS on the other hand...
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by strangeion View Post
    One of the biggest hurdles in a business environment is the iTunes Store. The entire iOS design is a single-user model. Take for example one of my customers that is in the service industry: they've equipped their technicians with 3G iPads so they may access a web-based pricing and POS system. They wanted to develop it as a native app, but because they are under a 500-employee business Apple won't let them circumvent the App Store. So it would require them to submit their proprietary app to the App Store, which is a hassle. They also bought apps for each of the iPads (about a dozen), so they have to use one computer to image all the iPads exactly. This brings in all types of problems when it comes to licensing multiple copies of an app.
    I use 5 computers, why do they use one? But I understand the point.
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I use 5 computers, why do they use one? But I understand the point.
    Hi all,

I have to agree with you...Apple is a pain in the *&^%$#!

I contacted Apple ever month for a year by twice a month faxing them a 20 page fax outlining the converting a proprietary format for the Library of Congress, national Library Division, (LOC/NLS), which provides "talking books for the blind and disabled")....PS they NEVER responded....I finally was able to find out they sent the idea in the Legal department where it has stayed for almost 3 years.

The app would have been small and easily written. I would require a security token, as the LOC/NLS only allows members to use the audio books, since there aren't royalties paid to the author under this format.

I also use multiple computers, (3)...Last year I bought my wonderful g/f an Ipod Nano 5th gen. for her birthday...I didn't want to give it to her blank, so I loaded music that I know she loves onto it...I then had to buy after-market software that allowed me to backup the Ipod onto her computer as well as mine....

If you own the song..you should be able to move it to other devices of your without Apple having a cow...

It wasn't that long ago that Apple was having a Hissy Fit b/c they claimed MS was doing the same thing...now the shoe is on the other foot...I din't like MS' Megalomaniac behavior and I don't like it from Apple.

For GOD sake, at least MS answer mail Apple sure doesn't!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Apple released Ipad and Iphone as consumer products, but now Apple is under significant pressure to transform both in business products which has lots of work to be done. I assume Apple started back end transition, but rigid as Apple is, process will drag for some time. That time is a small window of opportunity for HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Apple released Ipad and Iphone as consumer products, but now Apple is under significant pressure to transform both in business products which has lots of work to be done. I assume Apple started back end transition, but rigid as Apple is, process will drag for some time. That time is a small window of opportunity for HP.
    Chalx, can you share more details on how you know -for a fact - that Apple is 'under significant' pressure to expand in enterprise?

I don't think they want to ignore enterprise and they've said that they are quite surprised and pleased with the response the enterprise sector has had to IOS products.

But 'significant pressure'?? You state it as a fact and so maybe I don't have access to your sources - so please elaborate.
    First let me make clear that I'm sick of corporations making decisions for us. But the Flash problem lies partially with Adobe. They are taking too long to write leaner code for mobile or even desktop. Often when you see reviews on Flash for mobile, they aren't the best reviews. My laptop still runs high CPU when Flash is required and I've downloaded at least 10 of their updates(they seem to have one every month due to security issues). I'm not sure the code has gotten any lighter.
    When Flash is used as it was meant to be used, as in for web based animations and web sites, it will be, by nature, very CPU intensive - that's the "trade-off" for *scalable, uniform experience on all machines* vector graphics. You can try to "trim" the code here a bit, but, that will make very little difference - its all those millions of complex curve formulas that describe the lines and fills required every frame/second that demands CPU power (Flash was originally designed to be a cartoon animation software program, and can still be used for that, FYI) - and that's the very basis of the format - it was developed a LONG time ago, prior to Macromedia owning it, actually, when internet access speeds were still incredibly slow due to the prevelant use of dial up modems (DSL and cable/fiber were but a dream back then), so, in order to reduce download times, they minimized the size of the web site graphic content necessray to downlaod to see the web site in its entirety by using Flash to describe all content including the graphics with formulas, which is an incredibly small file compared to video files, but, alas, once downloaded, the recieving computer must perform all of those calculations (any bitmap graphics sued were minimal and discouraged, but, if they were used, they were preloaded without the user knowing while a vector based content was already displayed).

When Flash is "abused" to stream videos on the web (which, BTW, are NOT vector graphic based -they are a series of bitmaps images played at ratesf rom 12 frames to 30+ frames per second), there is no way that Adobe can do anything more to optimize them, other than to incorporate into Flach better video codecs for compression, but, that is a video industry thing, and not Adobe, necessarily.

Why Apple has an issue with Adobe and Flash is a multi-part discussion, and way off topic here, but, I hear that while Apple doesn't have Flash in their native browser, there are other browsers available on iOS that do, so, doesnt that solve the problem?

I see the TP supporting Flash as a great thing - so much great content on the web is Flash based.

The reason it has taken Adobe so long to succesfully modify Flash for mobile devices is because it was based on a mouse interface, with "mouse-over", "mouse-up" and "mouse-down" button states to enable the user interactivity - a key feature of Flash. Capacitive touch screen smartphones and tablets make the first two of these UI elements obsolete, and they had to work around that, significantly, while keeping Flash functionality for the desktop PC's the same as always. Not an easy task.

The answer for use of Flash, or HTML5, or ANY vecor based format on smaller/portable devices that are battery powered is to have better and more powerful batteries/power usage technology to support the CPU demands from them (and the embedded videos now being streamed inside of it) - that's pretty much where the future R&D has to be, sad to say.

Just sayin...

Last edited by LCGuy; 04/07/2011 at 12:44 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Chalx, can you share more details on how you know -for a fact - that Apple is 'under significant' pressure to expand in enterprise?

I don't think they want to ignore enterprise and they've said that they are quite surprised and pleased with the response the enterprise sector has had to IOS products.

But 'significant pressure'?? You state it as a fact and so maybe I don't have access to your sources - so please elaborate.
    I don't know for a fact, but look at Apple's rising sales numbers, and dropping sales results of Apples competition, mainly RIM as business oriented player. Also, there is already numerous cases of Ipad's business utilization. So, logically, significant number of Iphone and Ipad users are making pressure on their IT departments to incorporate Apple's products in corporate policy. IT departments, on other hand, are pushing Apple to apply corporate security policies in their devices.... Apple will invade business there is no doubt and HP must hurry and invest pretty big amount of cash or it will fail.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast