Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    That's funny ksht...I glossed right over that post originally, but now I'm somewhat entranced by it...
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

2.    #22  
    Hi all,

As of now, I don't want a pad...I may down the road, however my first issue to deal with is replacing my 2 1/2 year old & aging, ( but still great) Centro.

I am hoping to limp along and wait for the Pre 3...I'll look at the veer, but I think the Pre 3 is what I will want...(by that time I am expecting HP will make further phone annoucements...I'm sure there will be at least one other smartphone format, aka a slab type smartphone, (which I don't want))...

Although it's down the road, HP was award a contract for the US Army to make a smartphone type device with a folding and/or roll up screen...both HP & Palm held numerous patents in the area of folding/roll up screens, (some of which predate screens such as OLED which are fully flexible, (I imagine & hope that will be the keyboard phone that may replace the Per 3).

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    WebOS, despite its Palm Computing pedigree, is not the only contender to the iPad/iOS mantle: IDC this week projected that Microsoft Windows 7 Phone will surpass iPhone sales by 2015, although that news prompted skepticism.

Huh? Is Apple closing shop? I'm not fan of Apple but even for speculation that projection seems like a shot in the dark.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Huh? Is Apple closing shop? I'm not fan of Apple but even for speculation that projection seems like a shot in the dark.
    Nokia isn't closing up shop either which is fueling that speculation.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Well iOS has business apps, but can IT really control employees' devices like they can on BB? Does anyone besides those likely on NDA know what iOS5 will have?

And I didn't know Cisco was releasing something. Tablet wars are on! I'm still leaning toward iPad 2 for a new tablet(the iPad 1 I have was not new) but others still have time to get my dollar. Maybe I'd better wait until summer anyway. Looks like anyone(besides Apple) with a tablet out will have a track record and reviews.
    The reality is that each time Apple has "dabbled" in the corporate sector, they've not been very successful. I suspect that until/unless something comes along that makes them go "Hey, we should be doing that too", most of the things that RIM does will be an afterthought on IOS.

To tell you the truth, it's going to take some major rewriting (in my opinion) for WebOS to succeed in this area, but the plus for both is that RIM is starting a pretty steep downhill slide, and that's going to leave a pretty good size void from "someone" to fill.
    Quote Originally Posted by bausti25 View Post
    ...I have only plugged my iPad2 in one time. The day I got it. And I have downloaded over 100 apps wirelessly. This article doesnt make sense.
    Corporate controlled is the key here.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I don't get the connection between iTunes and applications in this article. iTunes isn't needed to install, store, use or manage applications in any way.
    You are suggesting corporate jailbreaking with alternative installers? So, first I have to jailbreak device to be able to ssh to it and install corporate apps, or my company should apply for app market to be able to install it if Apple find it suitable for Iphone?

Apple have to build parallel infrastructure and app store (mobile itunes) for real business use. Second, Apple have to introduce new system to corporate IT deparments so they can evaluate manageability, security risks...
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Y So, first I have to jailbreak device to be able to ssh to it and install corporate apps, or my company should apply for app market to be able to install it if Apple find it suitable for Iphone?
    Unless I am misunderstanding you...

Apple works directly with businesses, providing them with SDKs and support, so they can create custom, private apps for their users only.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Unless I am misunderstanding you...

Apple works directly with businesses, providing them with SDKs and support, so they can create custom, private apps for their users only.
    If Apple wants to deal with business it should do just that.

Friend of mine wanted to switch his warehouse and reseller app from WinMo to IOS but had to go through same App store regulations proces as consumer app programer. Finaly, he switched to Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    yes and no

you need an itunes account to be able to browse and download apps from the appstore.

You also need itunes to intially setup the iPad and you need itunes to sync any data between your pc and tablet(natively)
    You don't need an itunes account to downloand apps from a company's privately owned app store, and that is what I am seeing in the wild, corps developeing and deploying their own apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by bausti25 View Post
    I have only plugged my iPad2 in one time. The day I got it. And I have downloaded over 100 apps wirelessly. This article doesnt make sense.
    Backups? Change the media and files on the device? Contact sync(unless you use Mobile Me)? The firmware update?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Backups? Change the media and files on the device? Contact sync(unless you use Mobile Me)? The firmware update?
    Backups and firmware updates are really the only two needs to hook the iPad up to iTunes. You can do contact sync with Google, Yahoo, or any Exchange server.

As finngirl said above, Apple also has private SDK's businesses can use to control and side-load applications that can be done over-the-air using the devices UUID.
    I am more curious than anything;
    are all these capabilities the 'out-of-box' experience?
    If I understand it correctly, the touchpad won't need all these workarounds.
    We just rolled out a new infrastructure project for management of Mac OS and iOS devices. These devices can be managed through dedicated IT systems.

Check it out it has been very impressive for us so far. This is in a fortune 500 company.

JAMF Software: Client Management Software for Macintosh Professionals

Apple also has dedicated enterprise management tools, and you can bet Lion server will introduce some sort of more granular iOS management.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Does HP intend to do backups over the air? My Ipad 1 and 2 backups are huge. Last I checked iPad 2 is 16 gigs. (Of course after an initial backup I believe the rest are incremental.)
    Also, some of the apps for iPad are large, for instance TomTom, Navigon. It's a pain to download over wifi sometimes, much easier to download on a computer and sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    We just rolled out a new infrastructure project for management of Mac OS and iOS devices. These devices can be managed through dedicated IT systems.

Check it out it has been very impressive for us so far. This is in a fortune 500 company.

JAMF Software: Client Management Software for Macintosh Professionals

Apple also has dedicated enterprise management tools, and you can bet Lion server will introduce some sort of more granular iOS management.
    Thanks for the info. Interesting.

What some are not realizing is that individuals more and more want to use the device of their choice. Allot of execs, the people making the decisions, not necessarily the IT department, have multiple macs at home. Their environment is Apple. They want to make the extension to the work place and put pressure on IT to make it happen. There are tools already to make this happen. In some cases it cost effective, no need to buy a device for a user when they have their own and you can lock them down with Good or something similar.

That being said, I would still welcome the Touchpad over the Playbook into the workplace.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 04/02/2011 at 12:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Does HP intend to do backups over the air? My Ipad 1 and 2 backups are huge. Last I checked iPad 2 is 16 gigs. (Of course after an initial backup I believe the rest are incremental.)
    Also, some of the apps for iPad are large, for instance TomTom, Navigon. It's a pain to download over wifi sometimes, much easier to download on a computer and sync.
    I was responding to the poster who said he only needed to plug his iPad 2 in once, and downloads all apps over the air. I'm just asking how about routine maintenance? It must be done though iTunes.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Backups and firmware updates are really the only two needs to hook the iPad up to iTunes. You can do contact sync with Google, Yahoo, or any Exchange server.

As finngirl said above, Apple also has private SDK's businesses can use to control and side-load applications that can be done over-the-air using the devices UUID.
    I can't find the setting to sync OTA with Google. Can you point me in the right direction please? So far, I've always had to sync within iTunes to Google. All I can see is mail, notes and calendar sync in the Gmail settings.

Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    There a re many negatives with iPad. But the competition is timid. As long as the build quality of the other tablets stays below iPad, it will be tough to market them as iPad's competition.

Besides folks don't mind using iTunes, just like they are living without Adobe's flash.
    I have to chime in here just a bit...

I really don't mind iTunes, true...but dealing with no Flash support is a complete pain in the buttocks. I really like the build quality and overall user experience with the iPad BUT the lack of Flash support and a few other short comings has definitely tainted my feelings on the iPad as well as others in my home. So much so that as soon as the Touchpad arrives with Flash support it will find a new owner on eBay.

You can say "No Flash support is not a big deal"...but I have had to pull my laptop out to finish something I want to see, do, interact with one too many times...this is proof enough to me that the iPad is not-all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips...bye bye iPad.

KippLitz
    Hopefully this will be enough to allow HP to gain some marketshare.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast