Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

I'm a healthcare professional and knowing what WebOS can do I think it can do wonders within the medical field. The reason I think WebOS would be better than the ipad2 (not trying to bash apple here, just making a comparison), is the fact that we have cards. Having the ability to have cards for labs, patient history, medications, x-rays and being able to flow through them would make it a lot easier for the healthcare professional. Trust me, it's annoying to flip through charts or even click back and forth on the computer (You can even see it on the video, the way they're going back and forth on the ipad). Anyways, just a thought, just in case some HP person is reading this hahaha.
    Last edited by RPreH; 03/29/2011 at 05:48 PM.
    Can you look at a patient's medical records on an iPad? Or any mobile device? How do hospital IT departments secure data in those situations?

I knew that mobile devices (including old Palm PDAs, which were pre-HIPPA rules) could access med resources but was curious about med records.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Yeah, they mentioned in the video that medical records and pt info would have to go through a ton of security and password protected issues but if hospitals now can set that up on a computer/desktop, there should be no reason why it can't be set up on a touchpad or any other tablet for that matter. They also mentioned in the video that if an ipad were to get stolen, there would be a way for IT to completely erase all patient information on the ipad. I think it's very very doable, the main issue is educating nurses, doctors, pharmacists, technicians, etc on how to operate WebOs, which I don't think would be a problem at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by RPreH View Post
    Yeah, they mentioned in the video that medical records and pt info would have to go through a ton of security and password protected issues but if hospitals now can set that up on a computer/desktop, there should be no reason why it can't be set up on a touchpad or any other tablet for that matter. They also mentioned in the video that if an ipad were to get stolen, there would be a way for IT to completely erase all patient information on the ipad. I think it's very very doable, the main issue is educating nurses, doctors, pharmacists, technicians, etc on how to operate WebOs, which I don't think would be a problem at all.
    Does anyone know if this is possible if the device isn't connected to the internet? If someone steals my Pre or someone's iPad and puts it in airplane mode, can it still be wiped? I wouldn't think so but I could be wrong.
    It has been reported that it is concerning in enterprise with Android and its ability for users to access the source code - What will HP do to secure WebOS for enterprise solutions?

RIM has gone on the record with solutions to this (not that I understand them; just know they have addressed security)
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    These are all great questions, something I def. can't answer. I'm hoping HP/Jon Rubenstein can make a WebOs strictly for the medical field...WebOsDr or MedicalWebOs or PatientOs or something. Something that will solely focus on the medical industry. The touch to share option could be good as well bc an xray image or lab report could be "tap to shared" and then presented to another physician/consult if the touchpad were not able to be mobile at that particular time.
    Honestly, do I see this happening, not really. By the time this happens it prob wont come out till Summer anyways...summer of 2020, hahaha. Sorry, don't mean to beat a dead horse. I truly like WebOs and I just think it'd be great in the hospitals.
    One little thing will keep any WebOS device from finding ANY kind of traction in the medical field: No Epocrates app. Unless Epocrates changes their mind about discontinuing WebOS support, it'll be dead in the medical community. My g/f is graduating medical school in a few weeks and planning to upgrade to a smartphone. She loves my Pre 2, but as soon as I told her it wouldn't have Epocrates support much longer, she said "oh, well, I guess I'll get an iPhone then." On all the rotations she's done, I'd say 80% of the doctors (maybe more) use Epocrates. It's a must-have.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I use Lexicomp on my Pre so I'm sure HP can incorporate Lexicomp into the medical WebOs software. Epocrates is not that great IMO.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    It has been reported that it is concerning in enterprise with Android and its ability for users to access the source code - What will HP do to secure WebOS for enterprise solutions?

RIM has gone on the record with solutions to this (not that I understand them; just know they have addressed security)
    Some of this is being explained now at the Partner's Conference in Las Vegas. I can't say I understand it all, but part of the article I am reading talks a lot about security as well as how to build and manage complete integrated solutions through private, public and hybrid uses of the cloud.

Again, they talk a couple times in the article about security and it's critical role in different solutions. Like you, I can't say I understand all the info.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts

I'm a healthcare professional and knowing what WebOS can do I think it can do wonders within the medical field. The reason I think WebOS would be better than the ipad2 (not trying to bash apple here, just making a comparison), is the fact that we have cards. Having the ability to have cards for labs, patient history, medications, x-rays and being able to flow through them would make it a lot easier for the healthcare professional. Trust me, it's annoying to flip through charts or even click back and forth on the computer (You can even see it on the video, the way they're going back and forth on the ipad). Anyways, just a thought, just in case some HP person is reading this hahaha.
    You could even have a "stack" for each patient w/a card each for labs, history, meds, etc It may be easier to just switch between cards, but it seems more organized to have everything on a patient in a stack--but I'm not a medical person & don't understand your exact needs. This may be what you were saying but I got the impression you were talking about cards in webOS 1.45 vs 3.0.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Mike5,
    That's pretty much what I meant. Cards in general will allow us to see all the pt's needs on one "table". I dunno, maybe its just me but I just HATE flipping back and forth through charts and clicking on tabs for this and then for that. Having pt info on cards all layed out will allow us to see trends and be able to match up things easier with respect to the patient. Having "stacked cards" will allow us to have multiple patients on the "table."
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    RPreH,

This is from an article posted by Akitayo in a different thread ("I've seen the product..."), but speaks to what you want (all industries), but you all may need a tech rep involved to work w/or as an HP Partner. DiFranco is VP & General Manager, Solutions Partner Organization-Americas:

"We are going to help our partners develop mobility practices that include services like app development, mobility virtualization and mobility management," said DiFranco. HP is holding a mobility event on Wednesday at the partner conference aimed at getting its partners to build mobility practices.

DiFranco said HP is uniquely positioned to help partners succeed in the commercial based tablet and connective devices market. "Companies are going to want to have specific apps for their businesses," he said. "Partners are going to be very very important here helping customers find mobility apps that are core to their business."

Matt Smith, director of Americas Channel Marketing for HP, said that the first HP TouchPad units off the line will be "fully PartnerOne eligible and aligned." What's more, he said, PartnerOne benefits around training and deal registration will also be available to partners when the product is launched in June.
    I believe the TouchPad can do very well in the medical field, however Apple has a good head start, as they do in the tablet market in general. Here's 2 more video's I saw last week on CNBC talking about the iPad & how medical professionals are using them.

The Next Generation

Is the iPad The New Stethoscope?

If you'd rather read the article that summarizes both video's, here's the link:

The iPad Is Tops With Doctors
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Yup, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Imagine this on WebOs...trust me, as a healthcare prof and a WebOs user, it would be 10x's better than the ipad.
    I use Lexicomp on my Pre so I'm sure HP can incorporate Lexicomp into the medical WebOs software. Epocrates is not that great IMO.
    I've never used either (and don't really know what they do) so I can't say either way. It just seems that all the doctors I meet in the hospital where I work and all the doctors she rotated with swear by Epocrates.
    iPads are becoming as important to doctors as their stethoscope

Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I believe the TouchPad can do very well in the medical field, however Apple has a good head start, as they do in the tablet market in general. Here's 2 more video's I saw last week on CNBC talking about the iPad & how medical professionals are using them.

The Next Generation

Is the iPad The New Stethoscope?

If you'd rather read the article that summarizes both video's, here's the link:

The iPad Is Tops With Doctors
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I've never used either (and don't really know what they do) so I can't say either way. It just seems that all the doctors I meet in the hospital where I work and all the doctors she rotated with swear by Epocrates.
    Well, as a pharmacist who works at a hospital, I don't use epocrates much because lots of times I had to question the validity of the info, so I agree with the lexi-comp comment from the OP... who seems to be a pharmacist as well :-)
    Also, I would love to use TP at my work place! It would be awesome to use cards metaphor in browsing patient data.
    I'm an EHR system implementation and template developer analyst. The cards model sounds interesting, but ultimately it isn't HP or Epocrates that will have an effect on whether webOS gets traction in the hospital or multi-specialty clinic setting. EHR vendors are scrambling to develop mobile options right now and have been working on this stuff for a few years. Market share wins, and that means developing for iPad. Some of the smaller vendors might develop for webOS for the small practice setting. Large integrated healthcare systems need more robust systems that interface with each other. Don't expect to be able to download a portable EHR app from the webOS app store and hook into the hospital's information systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    I'm an EHR system implementation and template developer analyst. The cards model sounds interesting, but ultimately it isn't HP or Epocrates that will have an effect on whether webOS gets traction in the hospital or multi-specialty clinic setting. EHR vendors are scrambling to develop mobile options right now and have been working on this stuff for a few years. Market share wins, and that means developing for iPad. Some of the smaller vendors might develop for webOS for the small practice setting. Large integrated healthcare systems need more robust systems that interface with each other. Don't expect to be able to download a portable EHR app from the webOS app store and hook into the hospital's information systems.
    I agree, but I also think HP has a huge pull here and can get corporate vendors to play with their device instead of IOS. In this case the OS in itself doesn't matter as much as ability to protect patient info in secure fashion. I think HP can get this done.
    So she asked: "What is it with you? Is it ignorance, or is it apathy? And I answered: "I don't know and I don't care."
    HP doesn't have a monopoly on knowing how to protect patient data. HP also doesn't write EHR software, and hospital systems from vendors like Siemens, Epic and GE run just as well on Dell or IBM as they do on HP. I hate to poo-poo the notion, but a lot of people overestimate the amount of pull HP has as a hardware supplier in healthcare.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast