Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Hi,

I don't know much about the various tablets that are available / coming on stream & I have a question about connecting peripherals. Does anyone know if there are any tablets with a full-size USB port?

A friend was thinking perhaps a tablet might be a good basic computer for her old-ish parents. They are the kind of people who will be overloaded with a laptop, so something with a really basic UI is perfect.

All they'd want is basic web ability, emails, etc.. plus the ability to get photos input from a camera. Plussss, connecting a full-size keyboard would be great. Is there anything out there / coming that could do that?
    thanks,
    Toby.
    No, and it's a freaking tragedy. A regular USB port and USB Host mode would be so awesome for peripherals, but it doesn't seem to be interesting to manufacturers for some reason or another.
    You could just buy an adapter to meet your needs. http://bit.ly/ePitB7

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    mamouton,

True, but then will the device actually support an external keyboard just because I can plug one in?
    thanks,
    Toby.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd15 View Post
    mamouton,

True, but then will the device actually support an external keyboard just because I can plug one in?
    No, to my knowledge, iOS, Android, and WebOS have no plans for USB Host mode.

However, wireless bluetooth keyboards can be setup to connect automatically when in range so should be easy to deal with for your friend's parents. For easy to use, I think her parents would be best suited with a TouchPad or an iPad. And it's good not to forget that the iPad 1 is super cheap now a days.

P.S. The HP Slate 500 has a full size USB port and host mode, but that's because it runs Windows 7.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post

However, wireless bluetooth keyboards can be setup to connect automatically when in range so should be easy to deal with for your friend's parents. For easy to use, I think her parents would be best suited with a TouchPad or an iPad. And it's good not to forget that the iPad 1 is super cheap now a days.
    Ah, so would a BT keyboard also be recognised / function within one of these environments then? (Again, I am not sure that 'connect' is synonymous with 'will operate'.) But yes, BT peripherals would be great.

And I just saw some card read adapter that would go into mini- or micro-USB port. (I don't know anything about the iPad v1, does it have any kind of port?)
    thanks,
    Toby.
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post

P.S. The HP Slate 500 has a full size USB port and host mode, but that's because it runs Windows 7.
    I know that someone managed to hack USB host mode capabilities onto a Xoom, still only on microusb but still s step in the right direction. And if android devs can do it I'm sure our amazing patchers and webosinternals are more than capable of doing it.
    I was watching videos of the Asus transformer and the keyboard dock has a full size usb which i thought was awesome. Step in the right direction of full usb on tablet.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    Full USB on a tablet would be wonderful, the possibilities for use of external hard drives, for card readers, for non wireless keyboards, for any number of possibilities but for the moment I do not think we will see them on the touchpad. Next gen maybe with some luck along with an SD card reader, for the moment I'm just hoping for usb host capabilities, I can deal with the microusb slot.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    there is a tablet called: wetab
    it has usb and it comes with meego os and the abillity to install windows 7 on it, it has 6h. battery life!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Actually, the archos 70 Internet tablet (it's built on android) comes with native usb host mode support. It has a micro port and requires a usb host adapter cable, but it can handle most card readers and usb hard drives with external power.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    You may want to check out the Litl:

litl :: webbook
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Oh jebus, I just realised that my g'f's relatives only have dial-up (!!). I guess that kills this dead. Still, they might be in line for broadband, so let's keep this discussion going.
    thanks,
    Toby.