webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Do I need more than 16gb?
Do I need more than 16gb?

Old 03/23/2011, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

A buddy of mine recently managed to snag a wifi iPad2. In the weeks leading up to the release of the product, he went back and forth on which storage capacity to purchase -- 16gb or 32gb. I've thought at length about this for when I purchase my wifi TouchPad (hopefully in June). In my mind, the following things will need to be stored on the device:

1) Music. I don't really plan to make the TouchPad my primary music storage device. Whatever phone I have at the time will act as my mp3 player. 16gb on my Pre+ is plenty of room for music.

2) Video. I know I'll watch more video on the TouchPad than I do on my phone -- that much is obvious. However, if I want to watch home movies on there, I'll store them on the cloud. I will certainly watch some feature length movies on there, but how many do I really need to store on the device? It seems to me that I can store them on Dropbox and pull them down if/when I need them. Whenever I have wifi, I'll be watching Hulu or Netflix (please let them both work on the TouchPad!)

3) Apps. Yes ... apps need storage, but not THAT much.

4) Documents. I do almost no document work on my Pre+. The screen is too small and the document editing features are nearly nonexistent. The TouchPad is expected to be better at editing, and it obviously will have a bigger screen. Again, though, most documents don't take up that much room and can be stored on Dropbox.

So, as you can imagine, I've come to the conclusion that I don't really need more than the 16gb version.

My iPad2 friend, however, came to the conclusion that he needs 32gb. Why? The one reason he gave: iTunes. This didn't occur to me. Everything from iTunes is stored locally, and thus if he buys music, movies, and TV shows, that will REALLY run through his storage.

Am I missing something about why the average person would really need more than 16gb? I consider myself something of a power user, and I can't figure out why *I* need more than 16gb.
smmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2011, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

*I* have a 16GB iPad and not come close to filling it up.

I don't move photos on there. Apps are small. Documents take up no space. Music does but i have special iPad playlists, not all my music, because I just don't use it as a general music player. Like you, I use my phone.

The only thing that will, I think, is video (and nearly all video I watch is streamed so that doesn't enter into it) . But for stored video, once you watch it, I either take it off, or sync it off, so it lives in my computer.

For the life of me *I* can't figure out why to get 32GB either.

Caveat, I do know some professional photographers that use it as their portfolio, and have thousands of hi res photos on there, and I think going big is smart for them.

(Maybe someday something will come along on the iPad that changes it all for me, but for now, I don't get approach the 16GB limit.)
finngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2011, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

If I get a tablet, I too will really only be looking at a 16GB version.

With my current netbook, even though it has a 250GB HDD, if I'm going on a short business trip, I usually only downsize a couple of TV recordings and put them on an 8GB SD card anyway.

What would really be ideal though is a 16GB tablet with an SD slot.

-Suntan
Suntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2011, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
If I get a tablet, I too will really only be looking at a 16GB version.

With my current netbook, even though it has a 250GB HDD, if I'm going on a short business trip, I usually only downsize a couple of TV recordings and put them on an 8GB SD card anyway.

What would really be ideal though is a 16GB tablet with an SD slot.

-Suntan
If it had an SD slot, I wouldn't even be thinking about this -- 16gb would be the absolute way to go. That may be why HP didn't include an SD slot
smmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2011, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

I ordered the 64Gb iPad2 for my photographer wife. If the TouchPad meets my expectations, I'm only considering a 16Gb version.
One of my expectations is being able to connect to the cloud/local servers for large media files.
TheVisibleShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2011, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm limited by price so 16GB is all I can afford without sacrifice, lol. But seriously, 32GB is much better if anyone is planning on carrying lots of video, music and whatever else. If you stream much of your media, then 16GB should be fine though. Your friend is old school like me, he likes to carry his stuff locally so he probably does need the 32GB.
HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Pearl_Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2011, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I could fill up a 64GB iPad, or Touchpad, in about 2-3 hours. I think that's about how long the transfer would take.

I could also fill a 500GB iPad, or Touchpad, in about 5-6 hours. Again, that's probably about how long the transfer would take, with a faster data transfer speed than above.

Yeahhhh.. I have about 60 gigs of music, about a gig of photos, and err probably 300 - 400 gb of videos.

I mean, yeah, 16gb on my pre is nice.. and yeah it holds a lot of music.. but I don't feel 'free' with it. I don't like feeling restrained. I want 64gb.. but honestly I'd much rather have 128gb. For me that would be a perfect fit, because I'm a music freak and would be able to fit all my music, all my photos, and a bunch of vids to take with me everywhere.

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2011, 05:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yep dandbj13, if I could afford a 32GB I would have gotten it. For the same reasons, lots of stuff. 64GB might be too much for me though. That one would have to be if I left home for a long period of time and wanted to leave my laptop behind.

However the OP sounds like a cloud and streaming person. That reduces the need for carrying lots of files. But I do think 32GB is the happy medium, enough for local files and enough for any downloads. Micro-managing your space is certainly annoying. Plus you really get 14GB, not 16GB.
HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Old 03/23/2011, 05:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Will the TouchPad have microSD expansion? That's another solution to only 16GB, if so.

Old 03/23/2011, 05:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
Will the TouchPad have microSD expansion? That's another solution to only 16GB, if so.
I'm really not a big fan of the MicroSD. I'd rather see regular SDXC slot. Even class 10 microsd is limited to 10mb/s. My SDXC card gets 20mb/s constant.

But I'll definitely take it if it's an option. Even if it is slow as molasses. It's not like my Pre is any faster, maxing out at a whopping 3.4mb/s. Yippee!

Old 03/23/2011, 05:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

It seems microSD somehow took over in all mobile devices. Does anything but cameras take full SD cards these days?

Old 03/23/2011, 05:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
It seems microSD somehow took over in all mobile devices. Does anything but cameras take full SD cards these days?
Printers take SD cards. Laptops. Uhm.. I can't think of anything else, really.

It's too bad, too. For cell phones, I can see why microSD makes sense. But I cannot for the life of me figure out why tablets aren't using full SD slots.

I absolutely love my SD xtreme card. I love SD cards more than USB thumb drives. I think they're awesome.

Why don't tablets use SD slots?

Old 03/23/2011, 05:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

I reserve half for my kid and her movies, apps, or whatever. Streaming is ok, but not the best quality. And you need decent signal or wifi. If they make 128gb i'll get that.
cardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2011, 05:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
My 1st gen iPad was 16GB but when I got an iPad 2 I got 32GB. The things that end up taking up space is stuff for kids like graphic intensive games and movies. If you have kids that are going to want to watch a library of movies on a trip, like a selection of 12, that will take up something like 7GB. I'm not sure you're going to want to stream those over 3G.

It's also nice to have copies of your entire photo library on your iPad including movies since you're always wanting to show somebody something. iTunes converts them to iPad-specific size but 500 pictures plus video is going to take several gigs at least. I mean, is there any better way to look at photos and movies than on an iPad? To me, taking pictures and watching/showing them are about moments - ones that usually don't involve setting up my notebook or gathering around the PC.
Agree. If i could count on everyone i know to have decent wifi, no problem. But that's not going to happen. Highspeed to many is like 1mb dsl.

I don't really like to load up movies that look bad on ipad. HD ones take up space. Even being somewhat picky on apps, i got 14gb of them right now on 64gb ipad. Comics, ebooks, and mags take up more space.
cardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2011, 06:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

32 or 64GB probably is needed for those who need to share their iPad.

I was posting from a "one person" point of view because the OP sounded like only he was going to use it, which is the same as me.

Old 03/23/2011, 06:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
Agree. If i could count on everyone i know to have decent wifi, no problem. But that's not going to happen. Highspeed to many is like 1mb dsl.

I don't really like to load up movies that look bad on ipad. HD ones take up space. Even being somewhat picky on apps, i got 14gb of them right now on 64gb ipad. Comics, ebooks, and mags take up more space.
You have 14GB of apps?? Woah!!

Old 03/23/2011, 06:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

It completely depends onthe cloud services for me. If there is decent music streaming, I'mtalking about streaming music from my pc to phone/touchpad, a decent amount of cloud storage for things like tv/movies and photos then 16GB is probrably all I need.

But I will still be aiming at the 32GB with my money. Why? I have managed to fill many multiterabyte harddrives on my pc in no time. Depending on the kinds of apps that come out,depending on the other uses I find for it whenI have it in my hands I am betting that I will have no trouble using the 16GB up and I want the safety net that is the 32. To me however the 64 is excessive.

I want this as a netbook replacement , netbooks harddrive of 320 is full. That is why
dcbo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2011, 06:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Lol, DCB.

This is my point exactly. With hard drives, or flash drives, the general rule of thumb for me is this: if there's space it will be filled!

I got a 1.5tb hard drive last year for christmas, thinking, oh yeah, this thing'll hold everything I want it to and more for years. Yeah right. Now I have my two internal 2.5" at 320gb x 2 raid 0 and I can't even back them up because my 1.5tb only has 300gb left. This, and I want to backup my 1.5tb drive. So basically, as I get more storage, more storage is needed to protect that extra storage, and it always gets filled.

I'm in for a world of hurt if something fails.

Anyways, yeah that was a bit off topic. But I don't see a PC forum here and this is the most appropriate thread for such a discussion.

I kinda wish they at least have an option to put in a larger drive, even a hard drive for the price per gb. I'd like to see 500gb tablets. Who's with me?

Also, not a fan of the cloud. At all. Maybe for like contacts backup. But I don't want an internet connection to get my media. I want bigger drives, baby!

Old 03/23/2011, 07:13 PM   #19 (permalink)

You can fit everything nicely on it until you come to videos. Music, pictures, apps, and documents will probably take up 8 GB MAX. So that will leave you with another 8 GB for video which will allow you to store 6-10 movies that are the resolution of the TouchPad. If you have an extraordinarily amount of music or pictures that would take up more space, just take off a movie or two. 16 GB is more than enough for the average consumer. Especially if you love dropbox!
Old 03/23/2011, 07:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

Nobody has ever complained about having too much memory, no?

I say buy the max amount of memory you can afford.

I remember the days when a 120mb HDD was plenty.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0