Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It all depends on needs. I keep most of my photos on my iPad at about 6gb, ~5gb of music, 1gb of apps, ~12gb documents, and a varying number of videos running at ~1500 bps (1.5 - 2.0 gb per movie). I got the 64gb iPad since I'm pretty well over 32gb most of the time. I keep a 100gb Dropbox fairly full for backup, additional documents and more movies
    16GB, a SD slot would be nice tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The only thing that holds me back from the higher capacity Apple devices is the knowledge that the more expensive ones definitely subsidize the low cost of the 16GB version. Increasing the memory from 16 to 32 and adding $100 to the price must be 90% profit.
    I agree, but if that extra $100 extends the life of your iPad by a year, it seems like an okay deal to me.

I find myself running out of space constantly on my 32GB iPhone and iPad but I have a lot of massive games installed.
    The only time I'll ever really need storage is for when I travel for work and otherwise. In that case, I'll load up the music I need (MAYBE 3-4 gigs worth), which will be constantly changing anyway. I'm hoping I can do this through a desktop program and through the cloud. That would be cool.

I'll also throw a movie or two on there too. Ones that I plan on watching. Probably some music videos too.

Otherwise, I don't need space on it. I'll take a 16gb. The TP for me, will be mostly for reading - articles on the net, digital mags, and MAYBE books. Hoping for a cool XBMC remote too.

Other than that, I can't see myself using it for much more.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    While we're on the topic of memory options we might as well give some rare kudos to iTunes. It's definitely pretty easy to swap content in and out of your iPad. If you are going on a trip and don't have room for photos then just uncheck the box and synch and that room is all freed up. Then when you want to put your photos back in just check the box again.
    I think it depends on the person. Personally I see nothing wrong with drag and drop. To me it's dead simple and you don't need a huge program to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seowave View Post
    I think it depends on the person. Personally I see nothing wrong with drag and drop. To me it's dead simple and you don't need a huge program to use it.
    iTunes is a huge program?

Really?
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    *I* have a 16GB iPad and not come close to filling it up.

I don't move photos on there. Apps are small. Documents take up no space. Music does but i have special iPad playlists, not all my music, because I just don't use it as a general music player.
    Interesting, I've got a 32gb 3G iPad and I've only got 2gb left of free memory, with about 24gb taken up JUST by the apps I've got! Books take up the next largest chunk, although a few of my books are quite large PDFs. I have hardly any music or videos on my iPad though, music goes on my Walkman and videos are usually coming down from online services.
    I want every single mp3 on my phone or tablet. So minimun 30 gigs just for music. And apps and crap. 64 is minimun they should come out with for the tablet.
    I might have a small playlist on ipad. But i carry music on my iphone so see little need for it on tablet.

Dropbox and logmein (which can transfer files now) help as well. https://investor.logmein.com/release...leaseID=558657

Logmein was recently updated:

With the introduction of file viewing and management, iOS device owners can now choose to remotely control a computer desktop or directly access a computer's file systems — or multiple computers' file systems — using a single app. With LogMeIn Ignition, a user can:

View files and folders on one or more computers
    Copy and move files or folders from remote computers directly onto the iPad, iPhone or iPod touch for local viewing
    Save PC and Mac files directly on an iOS device for offline viewing
    Create a local folder and filing system within Ignition on the iPad or other iOS devices
    Open and edit files locally on the iPad, iPhone or iPod touch using file editing apps like Documents To Go, Quickoffice, Pages, Keynote, Numbers
    Transfer files between remote computers
    Update locally saved files in Ignition with updates from remote computers
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post

Really?
    It's a resource hog. As much as I used to love it, I can't handle how slow it is. And my PC is no slouch either. It just can't handle 80 gigs/22,000 songs very easily.
    Printers take SD cards. Laptops. Uhm.. I can't think of anything else, really.

It's too bad, too. For cell phones, I can see why microSD makes sense. But I cannot for the life of me figure out why tablets aren't using full SD slots.

I absolutely love my SD xtreme card. I love SD cards more than USB thumb drives. I think they're awesome.

Why don't tablets use SD slots?
    +1
    With drag and drop, can you easily create play lists. I confess that I wish I could drag and drop easily (i mean, beyond dragging and dropping into iTunes) but don't I them lose the ability of having a song (or any media) on several lists, without having to increase the space ( from re-copying them) ?
    I figured that a 16GB iPad would be enough when testing some things at work. They ordered a 32GB version, which I thought was overkill. Later, though, I did get a 16GB version and found that my iTunes profile that worked just fine on the first was too big for the second. The hidden reasons were the PaulDotCom podcasts that I'd lined up, the applications installed (not big each, but a lot of them for testing internal systems), and the hundreds of PDF documents that I'd added to the library (NIST standards, vendor docs, etc.). There were a few other things, but I was surprised at how fast 16GB could be eaten up. I solved it by trimming the podcast storage back to the most recent three, but I still had only a gig or so left.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Get Media Monkey for syncing larger music libraries. iTunes indeed is a horrible way of managing your music if you have a lot, just horrible.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!

Really?
    Maybe you have a Mac, but the other poster is right if he has Windows. iTunes eats up resources. Not to mention the huge download every single time, even if it's a simple bug fix. Whatever happened to patching?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Actually, I have used 62gb on my iPad, and I don't really think how I'd live on only 32.
    Call me addicted, but I have just over 16gb of apps (and I love all of them), about 8 gigs of music, and the rest is full of music videos, all of the Harry potter movies, a few top gear episodes and a few thousand photos.
    I really hope then that there would be a 64gb touchpad, otherwise I may have to get an iPad 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    Actually, I have used 62gb on my iPad, and I don't really think how I'd live on only 32.
    Call me addicted, but I have just over 16gb of apps (and I love all of them), about 8 gigs of music, and the rest is full of music videos, all of the Harry potter movies, a few top gear episodes and a few thousand photos.
    I really hope then that there would be a 64gb touchpad, otherwise I may have to get an iPad 2.
    There will na a 64 GB version. This is why there higher capacity versions, for extreme media consumers like you!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I'd get 64GB if that were possible. I'd also get 128GB if that were possible.

If any manufacturer were willing to go ahead and put an old-school hard drive into a tablet, I'd get the 2TB version. That'd be enough for me to put ALL of my stuff on my device.

I'm forced to make a selection as to what I want to carry on my device if I have 16GB, but 32GB and even 64GB would only allow me to select more. They wouldn't allow me to forego the selection altogether.

But while I want to be able to access EVERYTHING I GOT from almost everywhere I go, I don't necessarily need to actually carry everything I got almost everywhere I go.

So what I really really want is an integrated cloud media solution where I can access all of my music, all of my video, all of my photos from wherever I have an internet connection, in addition to only being able to carry a digest of what I "need most" on my device, like I do now.
    Just like Synergy is now pulling all my contact info from all the different clouds (facebook, google, linkedin, yahoo etc.), and just like I understand the Photos app in webOS 3 is actually going to do it (picasa, snapfish, facebook, etc).
    I'm convinced that we generally have far more than we need. Every so often I will go through my computer's hard drive at home and it will dawn on me just how little of what is on there I actually use. Aside from photos, videos and music, I'd say 95% of what is on my computer is unnecessary. And if I were to be totally honest with myself, I'd say that 95% of my music either doesn't get listened to or gets played perhaps 0.1% of the time. So every six months or so I'll have an "uninstall free-for-all" for all the junk that got installed on my computer and it feels awesome to clear it out. Same with my internet bookmarks and emails.

I can't tell you how many apps I've downloaded to my phone that sat unused...still do. I delete what I am positive I won't use. I'm just not all that great at keeping the junk out to begin with. I have build-up phases and house-cleaning phases where I purge unused apps and files on the digital front and unused items and clothes on the physical front. I recommend it to everyone.

Which leads me to my point. In my opinion, no...you do not need more than 16GB. Not unless you are a digital packrat. Someday there will be a show on TLC called Digital Hoarders.

I hope someday to have an easy way to scan all the music files on my computer via a cloud streaming service and then totally delete all those files from my hard drive. Bam...I just cleared up a quarter of my storage space!
    It really depends on what you are using it for.

32GB really seems reasonable for a general use. Anything more than 32GB seems like a waste unless you are excessively using it.

I actually use my device for business & personal use. My suggestion: 32GB should be enough. The price gap between 32 & 64 GB is just way too pricey for me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12