Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 111
  1. #61  
    I think they will try to trim down the weight and that's about it, specwise its fine
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Thats what I call desperate, putting bloatware on everyones computer in hopes of selling webOS to the masses. It will be like hp's current bloatware their touchsmart software that everyone ignores.

    Pretty ironic hearing an android fan complain about bloatware!
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    seriously wish Samsung bought palm.
    What, so they could slather TouchWiz (that name, seriously?) all over the beauty that is webOS?

    Yeah, no thanks.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    What, so they could slather TouchWiz (that name, seriously?) all over the beauty that is webOS?

    Yeah, no thanks.
    The reason Samsung does this is to differentiate from the competition. If they were the only one using webOS they needn't do that.

    Yeah, I think Samsung would've been the best for Palm but Samsung has shown several times they want to grow from "inside" the company and they have the money to do so.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    seriously wish Samsung bought palm.
    I agree. What Palm needed back in the buyout days was a hardware producer in need of an os only. HP is big and they have tons of cash, but they did not (actually, DO not) have a presence in the mobile market at all. Imagine if Samsung/HTC/LG/any other primarily hardware company bought up Palm... boom! instant proliferation of webos on many phone styles across many carriers. That would have put palm in a position of having a foundation on which to build webos instead of scrambling to re-boot with 1% of the market and no developers.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    imo, you are wrong. HP doesn't have 'a few product cycles' for anything.

    the competition like samsung will be on their second product cycle before hp starts their first. at this rate samsung will be on their 4th product cycle before hp starts it's second.
    Sorry but that's panicky bla bla.

    According to your logic Google shoudn't have bothered with Android because Apple were on their second cycle before Google started its first.

    And if you look back at what people said at the time - plenty of commentators predicted Android to fail. After all Apple was so successful and already 50k or more apps ahead.

    I don't know whether HP will be successful with webos or not. But the mobile market is growing fast and with plenty room to grow there is also plenty of room for sudden disruptions.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  7. #67  
    I really wouldn't google as an example... They work completely different where they have any and all manufacturers pushing out android phones and thru many carriers when iPhone was only on one carrier.

    I actually thought the many different variations was going to cause a fracture in android but hasn't and now they dominate.

    I've heard the blah blah here two years ago with Pre about how there is plenty of room to grow... Plenty of time... Etc, etc. So two years later, where is webos now? Pretty much the same place it started. I think they actually had an advantage back then.

    We'll see how HP executes.



    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Sorry but that's panicky bla bla.

    According to your logic Google shoudn't have bothered with Android because Apple were on their second cycle before Google started its first.

    And if you look back at what people said at the time - plenty of commentators predicted Android to fail. After all Apple was so successful and already 50k or more apps ahead.

    I don't know whether HP will be successful with webos or not. But the mobile market is growing fast and with plenty room to grow there is also plenty of room for sudden disruptions.
    Last edited by donm527; 03/23/2011 at 08:20 AM.
  8. #68  
    I wouldn't mind it getting thinner, but I'm not a webOS fan because of the hardware, although i do like the pre form factor. I'll be getting the touchpad because it has webOS.

    I do want HP to be competitive in size and price so they can succeed, but it doesn't make a difference to me unless its way behind. and so far they are pretty on par with everybody else
  9. #69  
    We all know people are out to copy/compete/whatever with Apple in the tablet space because they set the bar, but all I have to say is that Steve Jobs' arrogance on the stage for the iPad 2's debut definitely opened Apple up to some serious competition going forward.

    What I don't understand is how Steve Jobs thought he could talk trash about Samsung when Sammy supplies Apple with some of the major components for their iPad and iPhone. Samsung demonstrated that they're a hardware powerhouse.

    Unfortunately, I don't see HP making ANY changes to the Touchpad. People can tout how big and powerful HP is all they want, but it's obvious that HP doesn't operate like Samsung.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So are you saying that if Jobs had only been a little more diplomatic about the tablet competition, Samsung would have eased up a little bit and made their new tablets a little thicker and priced it a little higher?
    Don't be ridiculous; there is no way anyway here would actually think that's what I meant. No one is that dumb.

    Competition will be there regardless, I guess I could have phrased it such that his arrogance opened them up to verbal backlash from consumers and media based on the competition that's coming out. Samsung demonstrated that they won't be pulled into a war of words, but they certainly answered Apple's criticism, implied or spoken. The fact that Jobs used a "thoroughly debunked" misquote from a Samsung Exec in his presentation shows really poor class on his part. His whole presentation was "thinness" and "weight" mixed in with attacks on "would-be" competitors who in his words can't compete. And now they can't claim to have the thinnest or lightest tablet and run a bazillion ads making this claim like they've done with the iPhone.

    My point was Steve Jobs appeared really low class. Samsung answered back the way a hardware powerhouse can.
    Steve Jobs' reality distortion takes its toll on truth - Google 24/7 - Fortune Tech
  11. #71  
    Steve job challenged the competitor and they answered him back. I don't see any issue. I really can't see why Steve was show low class here?


    Sent from Tapatalk
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Steve job challenged the competitor and they answered him back. I don't see any issue. I really can't see why Steve was show low class here?


    Sent from Tapatalk
    I was referring to the blatant lies he told. I can ignore his bad math, or poor price comparisons, but to put a misquote up on the big screen, a misquote that had been BIG NEWS and therefore had been corrected a month before the iPad 2 debut, and to still drop that low to get some laughs is flat out poor behavior.

    Did you read the article I posted?

    Everyone knows Steve is a showman. He loves getting up on that stage, but this time around he resorted to flat out lies about his competition. This, IMO, is super low class.
  13. #73  
    I think the "HP will always be behind" school of thought is misplaced. HP is a huge company that takes a long time to change momentum. This is a fairly new area for that company. But that size becomes a strength once they have momentum going. Looking at HP's other product lines leads me to believe that they can compete with other companies in terms of product cycles (certainly with Apple's 1x/year). The clearly have started slow, but unless they choose to abandon the tablet platform, why would their refresh cycle be so much longer than it is for other product lines?
  14. #74  
    " I guess I could have phrased it such that his arrogance opened them up to verbal backlash from consumers and media based on the competition that's coming out. "

    The only people who decided to care about the tough-fightin' words from the stage are those folks already embroiled in a fan war, and looking for fodder.

    most people just saw a CEO hawking their product. And quite a few of them bought too.


    Unless it's idealogical to you, in which case you're not buying an iPad anyhow, Steve Jobs' words mean nothing to you with regard to buying or not buying an iPad.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    I think the "HP will always be behind" school of thought is misplaced. HP is a huge company that takes a long time to change momentum. This is a fairly new area for that company. But that size becomes a strength once they have momentum going. Looking at HP's other product lines leads me to believe that they can compete with other companies in terms of product cycles (certainly with Apple's 1x/year). The clearly have started slow, but unless they choose to abandon the tablet platform, why would their refresh cycle be so much longer than it is for other product lines?
    I think people are just making assumptions based on HP's poor results/rollout so far. I'm sure they'll eventually hit the annual mobile product cycles, but when that is, I'm not sure. They simply haven't done a good job so far. Yes, the acquisition is a challenge and slows things down, but they missed an entire product cycle and the way they've handled it has been poor IMO.

    Samsung's announcement does disappoint me a bit because I wish HP would actually do something exciting and unexpected like a quick redesign to make them more competitive. But they don't seem to be that kind of company.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    " I guess I could have phrased it such that his arrogance opened them up to verbal backlash from consumers and media based on the competition that's coming out. "

    The only people who decided to care about the tough-fightin' words from the stage are those folks already embroiled in a fan war, and looking for fodder.

    most people just saw a CEO hawking their product. And quite a few of them bought too.


    Unless it's idealogical to you, in which case you're not buying an iPad anyhow, Steve Jobs' words mean nothing to you with regard to buying or not buying an iPad.
    They certainly mean something, and I SERIOUSLY considered purchasing an iPad 2. Well I was actually going to buy one for my Fiancee...

    I don't know about you, but personally, yes, I'm against companies flat out lying about their competition when launching products and I'll never support a company that does so. But I guess its easy when you know your consumers are sheep and will believe anything you say even if it's already been proven false. No doubt it's good to be Apple; I'm reminded of the Evo vs iPhone youtube video... If no one cared how businesses conducted themselves, I hate to think of the world we'd live in. If we all think like you appear to, it seems we might as well do away with the FCC, the BBB, the FTC, the FDA, and a multitude of other acronyms.

    Apple makes great hardware. I'm not the biggest fan of iOS, but I think it does what they meant it to; and unfortunately I'm not a fan of their closed ecosystem. Every time I try to get past the fanboism and seriously consider purchasing an Apple product if I have a need, it seems like Apple does something else to demonstrate why I won't support their company by purchasing their products.
  17. #77  
    Okay, so you were an Ipad prospect? Right. I've read your posts. That's a tough sell, to be honest.

    Personally, I think Samsung did some creative editing - and guess what? The product sold much less than they projected.

    Fact is, I make MY decisions on product and service. Period.

    Give me a good product and treat me well.
  18. #78  
    If Samsung had bought Palm, then Homebrew would have gotten rid of touchwiz, it would have been win-win, imagine a pre-3 with super amoled plus, retina display with some decent camera's, would have been amazing
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Okay, so you were an Ipad prospect? Right. I've read your posts. That's a tough sell, to be honest.

    Personally, I think Samsung did some creative editing - and guess what? The product sold much less than they projected.

    Fact is, I make MY decisions on product and service. Period.

    Give me a good product and treat me well.
    Believe what you like. I certainly thought hard on an iPad 2 purchase. Apps for everything is a HUGE selling point. I find it impossible that the iPad 2 isn't at least considered by every single person looking to buy a tablet. In the end; Steve's latest BS move and limited "multitasking" led me to decide against it. I certainly factor in principles with my decision making; others may not.

    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with what Steve Jobs said at the iPad 2 launch. One could surmise that Samsung probably had some idea about what the iPad 2 would look like and and targeted their new design against it. And, Jobs probably knew that they knew and wanted to call out an imitator.
    I don't quite understand. Samsung had already released the 10.1; it was 0.43 inches thick. After the iPad 2 was debuted, Lee Dong-Joo, executive vice president of Samsung's mobile division said "We will have to improve the parts that are inadequate. Apple made it very thin."

    As I stated above, Samsung's redesign was based on the iPad 2's specs and Jobs touted how thin it was more than any other feature. Again, I reiterated that I think his arrogance will open Apple up to backlash now that competitors are actually producing a better hardware product in every aspect with the same pricing.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    Again, I reiterated that I think his arrogance will open Apple up to backlash now that competitors are actually producing a better hardware product in every aspect with the same pricing.

    And there is nothing wrong with that, at all.

    I differ from you in calling out "arrogance"...that's a popular throwaway phrase for people describing Apple, but its not uncommon for the industry leader in any category (tv show star, NFL team, record-holder in downhill skiing, or soda pop brand) to get that moniker by fans of other products. Its human nature.

    But nothing wrong with spurring competition.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions