Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I think they are not even working on the hardware front, hardware to them is finalized, its the webOS 3.0 that is in infancy and full of bugs that they are working on. Just look at how 2.1 is full of bugs including calendar syncing only for next 3 months, give me a break.
    This is why I hope the rumor of hardware being shifted to the laptop division is true. Let the 'Palm' engineers focus all of their attention on the software and let the people that have produced good looking hardware focus on that.

I don't want hardware to be an afterthought, and I don't want software to be an afterthought. Both should be the #1 priority of whichever group is working on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Here we go again, HP has tons of money, so they will win at the end? Goodluck with that!
    i think the point hes trying to make is that Samsung and those companies using Android rely on the sale of that individual product since they don't own Android, as apposed to HP who has the ability to lose SOME money with these first generation products because they are working toward a greater goal than just a top notch tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    I was impressed that Samsung made a tablet that is thinner than the iPad 2 then I read it wasn't even turned on at the event.

So, it's more like a mockup. We don't know battery life, etc.

I'm sure the iPad 2 could be twice as thin, but then the battery life would probably be half as much.

So, until we know the battery life on this thinner Samsung, don't know if being thinner than the iPad 2 will be impressive or not.
    I'm pretty impressed with the design, I must say. All they need to do is handle the 3G end correctly, the wifi end is pretty good.

Bad battery life would annoy me though, I have 2 phones that need to be charged twice daily. But if the new Samsung tablets get through the day without a charge, maybe I won't complain too much.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Can you tell me how much growth has happened in last 2 years?
    This is irrelevant now. Palm was nothing compared to HP. And palm made many mistakes.

This is round 2, a new beginning, and HP has a vision greater than just phones and tablets.

If they play their cards right (pun definitely intended) they will take webOS to new heights.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Why is that smart? You've increased your costs, reduced your margins and fractured your market.
    Part of me thinks that they will deal with all that just to compete effectively in sales with Apple. Either size is still a sale for Samsung.

But also, not everyone wants large and not everyone wants small. So they have both ends covered. It appears as though there's a definite size difference between the 2 new ones, even though the numbers look close to me. To me 8.9 doesn't seem that far off from 10.1, but that's not how it actually translates into the physical product. If the pictures shows up in these links, you can indeed see one looks more compact.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1 hands-on - Engadget Galleries

Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1 hands-on - Engadget Galleries

Isn't the 7" being discontinued though? I thought the 8.9 is the replacement. I think that's a good compromise, decent size screen but still compact. Easy portability. The 10.1 is good for those who need or want the space for spreadsheets, movie viewing, etc.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    What's impressive is that Samsung not only got it a lot thinner than the TouchPad, but that it got it thinner while having a larger capacity battery, dual cameras (with a flash on back), and a micro sd slot. This being done with .2 less inches of thickness AND half a pound lighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    What's impressive is that Samsung not only got it a lot thinner than the TouchPad, but that it got it thinner while having a larger capacity battery, dual cameras (with a flash on back), and a micro sd slot. This being done with .2 less inches of thickness AND half a pound lighter.
    Is the Samsung's screen glass?
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    this is where the "it's a marathon not a sprint" metaphor comes into play. What most don't realize is that Samsung/HTC/LG/Motorola must sell more ( i won't try to guess how many more) tablets than HP does just to reach the same profit.

This is because:
    1. HP has much more scale/leverage to buy materials and negotiate with vendors. Therefore lower expense/item
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Samsung is one of the biggest tech companies out there and produces everything from LCDs to chips. So no, HP has not more leverage than Samsung, definitely not.
    100% correct. According to the BOM's on ipads i've read the most expenive parts of the tablets and smartphones are, the screen, the memory, then the processor. Samsung makes all three. HP buys all three. Hell Samsung's chip i think is the base for the apple A4 chip (i may be wrong but i think so). So they clearly can get the components cheaper. I mean they are selling the same stuff to Motorola, and HTC, Apple etc for a profit. If you look at the Galaxy Tab teardown darn near everything in there says samsung. Even the battery. The stuff that doesn't are like the smaller chips and those are like relatively cheap compared to screens and memory.

Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Samsung has the fabs to produce everything themselves, whereas HP has to let others do the job. The same way Apple does it => Foxconn and the like.
    Not only that. Samsung is paid by other companies for components and to assemble products so they are making money coming and going. I think people in the states, where i am, think samsung only makes a bunch second tier consumer electronic products like tvs or tablets. But in reality Samsung is massive. They make all that, and build super tankers, Oil platforms. They build skycrapers like the burj khalifa, the tallest building in the world. they make construction equipment. They even sell insurance. So i'm not surprised they can make 1 tablet quickly.

Just for perspective here are some parts of Samsung other then it's Technology business.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 03/22/2011 at 05:13 PM.
    holy smokes! date and pricing available. hello hp? hello?
    Can't agree more with your post blackmagic01

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Hell Samsung's chip i think is the base for the apple A4 chip (i may be wrong but i think so).
    Apples A4 and A5 are manufactured by Samsung afaikafaikafaik $and$ $the$ $A4$ $has$ $similarities$ $to$ $Samsungs$ $S5PC110$. $Meaning$ $it$'$s$ $likely$ $that$ $the$ $A4$ $is$ $based$ $on$ $Samsungs$' $chip$ $but$ $heavily$ $reworked$.
    Apple's A4 is like Samsung's S5, except where it's not -- Engadget
    THere are plenty of live units at CTIA. I guess Engadget just got there prior to the announcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Why is that smart? You've increased your costs, reduced your margins and fractured your market.
    right, why does HTC makes that many phones? why does microsoft makes multiple versions of windows, office, xbox? why does SONY makes that many different size of TVs?

Its all about mindshare and market share of a brand. How many fracture will that be if webOS is extremely scalable and are about the same on devices of any size?

In the starting stage, sticking to a single model is dumb, unless you are apple who has a large fanbase who will shell out cash for anything with an apple logo on it. Does HP has that fanbase? don't think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    what's impressive is that samsung not only got it a lot thinner than the touchpad, but that it got it thinner while having a larger capacity battery, dual cameras (with a flash on back), and a micro sd slot. This being done with .2 less inches of thickness and half a pound lighter.
    daaaaaaaaaaaaaag
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Crazy, that thing is insanely thin.

What I would imagine (if this has already been thought of, I apologize for skimming 3 pages), is HP is trying to get WebOS 3.0 figured out and pinned down. The hardware seems like it's a bit of an afterthought at the moment, and I would imagine they will get it figured out.

Think about if the TP/WebOS 3.0 launched without any apps? 80% of you would be whining about that part. Unfortunately, they don't have the ground that Apple has whereby the developers are onboard from day one. They need to get the apps in order to entice consumers to the platform first. The hardware will come, granted, it could be too little too late, but let's hope not.
    yeah i said a similar thing in that thinness vs Whatever the other thing was thread. Thinness isn't a big deal and neither was that other thing to me. It's nice but not more important then having the right apps. Its' like a weird Steve Jobs fixation though. Personally i never fully understand it. Not that it's bad to be thinner.
    HP is NOT doing that. Any company that buys Palm, sees the fails of the Pre phones, takes 8 months to announce a phone that's releasing 4-6 months later that they say has hardware they're excited about but turns out to be just a reworked Pre that was already being done by Palm prior to purchase, is not the type of company that would do what Samsung just did.
    No and they shouldn't copy. They should define good and build it with an eye to the future and winning competitively. I wouldn't compromise on battery life and spend my energy on developers and software. In the end, that will be the difference. There are many iPad owners not upgrading because what they have is sufficient. They can't have a higher price.
    imo, you are wrong. HP doesn't have 'a few product cycles' for anything.

the competition like samsung will be on their second product cycle before hp starts their first. at this rate samsung will be on their 4th product cycle before hp starts it's second.

samsung is not waiting a year to come out with a product that will keep up with ipad2... or allow apple to dictate what will be the trend with ipad3. they're gonna go head to head with them right now and basically let them know that apple better not be short on specs next year like better front and rear cam and at the very least retina display and such and have them wondering what new idea SAMSUNG is going to come out with.

i just ordered my ipad2 yesterday and today i see the new samsung and think wow thats a nice tab and makes me wonder what kind of tabs will be out next year with android. webos... not even a thought cause like u i feel the same... they are going to take a few product cycles to be on par with ios or android.

samsung is showing that there are no excuses that can be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    this is where the "it's a marathon not a sprint" metaphor comes into play. What most don't realize is that Samsung/HTC/LG/Motorola must sell more ( i won't try to guess how many more) tablets than HP does just to reach the same profit.

This is because:
    1. HP has much more scale/leverage to buy materials and negotiate with vendors. Therefore lower expense/item
    2. HP owns the WebOS marketplace, so they have opportunity to continue to make profits after the sale of the device (see apps, touchstones). The aforementioned companies must make all of their $ at the point of sale.

even if it takes HP a few cycles until the WebOS tabs start to generate real profits, they have the cash to weather that storm until it becomes a profitable division. I know Motorala/samsung etc, are not small companies, but they don't have the cash reserves HP has.
    seriously wish Samsung bought palm.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    They did it pretty quickly. That's pretty amazing. You'd think this would be a strength of HP, having ownership of both hardware and software. So far, we've seen the opposite.
    I dunno. I think they are preparing to put webOS on like 10 million devices. I get the feeling they are putting all their efforts into webOS 3 right now so that it can ship with their laptops, desktops, tablets, etc. Now THATS what I call an ecosystem.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast