Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 111
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayVee View Post
    I'm thinking HP is already hard at work getting the Touchpad slimmed down. No doubt in my mind they can do it. I still think they've been soundly beaten to the punch, however, by both Sammy and Moto and it will take quite a while to get caught up. The app catalog is still so far behind it's embarrassing. Sad, too, I really REALLY wanted a Touchpad
    this is where the "it's a marathon not a sprint" metaphor comes into play. What most don't realize is that Samsung/HTC/LG/Motorola must sell more ( i won't try to guess how many more) tablets than HP does just to reach the same profit.

    This is because:
    1. HP has much more scale/leverage to buy materials and negotiate with vendors. Therefore lower expense/item
    2. HP owns the WebOS marketplace, so they have opportunity to continue to make profits after the sale of the device (see apps, touchstones). The aforementioned companies must make all of their $ at the point of sale.

    even if it takes HP a few cycles until the WebOS tabs start to generate real profits, they have the cash to weather that storm until it becomes a profitable division. I know Motorala/samsung etc, are not small companies, but they don't have the cash reserves HP has.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    this is where the "it's a marathon not a sprint" metaphor comes into play. What most don't realize is that Samsung/HTC/LG/Motorola must sell more ( i won't try to guess how many more) tablets than HP does just to reach the same profit.

    This is because:
    1. HP has much more scale/leverage to buy materials and negotiate with vendors. Therefore lower expense/item
    2. HP owns the WebOS marketplace, so they have opportunity to continue to make profits after the sale of the device (see apps, touchstones). The aforementioned companies must make all of their $ at the point of sale.

    even if it takes HP a few cycles until the WebOS tabs start to generate real profits, they have the cash to weather that storm until it becomes a profitable division. I know Motorala/samsung etc, are not small companies, but they don't have the cash reserves HP has.
    I doubt H/P will ever garner more than 3-5% of the market as they are really not visionary.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  3. #23  
    I was impressed that Samsung made a tablet that is thinner than the iPad 2 then I read it wasn't even turned on at the event.

    So, it's more like a mockup. We don't know battery life, etc.

    I'm sure the iPad 2 could be twice as thin, but then the battery life would probably be half as much.

    So, until we know the battery life on this thinner Samsung, don't know if being thinner than the iPad 2 will be impressive or not.
  4. #24  
    I'm wondering if the Palm division has enough manpower to work on Opal as well as a reworked Touchpad with full steam. I don't know, but if they release the TouchPad the way we've seen it on feb 9th, it might have a hard time coming off the shelves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    this is where the "it's a marathon not a sprint" metaphor comes into play. What most don't realize is that Samsung/HTC/LG/Motorola must sell more ( i won't try to guess how many more) tablets than HP does just to reach the same profit.

    This is because:
    1. HP has much more scale/leverage to buy materials and negotiate with vendors. Therefore lower expense/item
    2. HP owns the WebOS marketplace, so they have opportunity to continue to make profits after the sale of the device (see apps, touchstones). The aforementioned companies must make all of their $ at the point of sale.

    even if it takes HP a few cycles until the WebOS tabs start to generate real profits, they have the cash to weather that storm until it becomes a profitable division. I know Motorala/samsung etc, are not small companies, but they don't have the cash reserves HP has.
    Samsung is one of the biggest tech companies out there and produces everything from LCDs to chips. So no, HP has not more leverage than Samsung, definitely not. Samsung has the fabs to produce everything themselves, whereas HP has to let others do the job. The same way Apple does it => Foxconn and the like.

    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    I was impressed that Samsung made a tablet that is thinner than the iPad 2 then I read it wasn't even turned on at the event.

    So, it's more like a mockup. We don't know battery life, etc.

    I'm sure the iPad 2 could be twice as thin, but then the battery life would probably be half as much.

    So, until we know the battery life on this thinner Samsung, don't know if being thinner than the iPad 2 will be impressive or not.
    Engadget says 6000 mAh for the 8.9 and 6860 mAh for the 10.1 inch. So yeah, I'd think the battery life will be good.
    Last edited by FischOderAal; 03/22/2011 at 11:56 AM.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    I was impressed that Samsung made a tablet that is thinner than the iPad 2 then I read it wasn't even turned on at the event.

    So, it's more like a mockup. We don't know battery life, etc.

    I'm sure the iPad 2 could be twice as thin, but then the battery life would probably be half as much.

    So, until we know the battery life on this thinner Samsung, don't know if being thinner than the iPad 2 will be impressive or not.
    By the way the battery in samsung tab is bigger in size than battery in ipad. On comparison TP battery is ONLY 6300
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    this is where the "it's a marathon not a sprint" metaphor comes into play. What most don't realize is that Samsung/HTC/LG/Motorola must sell more ( i won't try to guess how many more) tablets than HP does just to reach the same profit.

    This is because:
    1. HP has much more scale/leverage to buy materials and negotiate with vendors. Therefore lower expense/item
    2. HP owns the WebOS marketplace, so they have opportunity to continue to make profits after the sale of the device (see apps, touchstones). The aforementioned companies must make all of their $ at the point of sale.

    even if it takes HP a few cycles until the WebOS tabs start to generate real profits, they have the cash to weather that storm until it becomes a profitable division. I know Motorala/samsung etc, are not small companies, but they don't have the cash reserves HP has.
    Here we go again, HP has tons of money, so they will win at the end? Goodluck with that!
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Perhaps HP can sign-on to sponsor The Biggest Loser and have a series of TV commercials where a fat bloated Touchpad goes on a diet and gets thinner and thinner every month culminating in a triumphant late Summer launch with a new thin body
    This is hilarious idea, I wish some one at precentral could make a commercial like that.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  8. #28  
    Fisch, if you are referring just to Samsung, than that may be true as to that one point, but you are ignoring (or summarily dismissing) the other points. As I said, that is only part of the equation. Unless Samsung builds a successful rival android app store, they are still limited to making profits purely from the devices sold. Additionally, HP can live with WebOS not being profitable immediately (as long as the losses aren't drastic) and as long as their is potential for future profit.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Here we go again, HP has tons of money, so they will win at the end? Goodluck with that!
    Its not a "win" conversation. There is no reason multiple companies cannot be profitable in this space. Particular in the mobile phone space as it is a huge growth sector (not sure if that is as true for tablets). As long as WebOS profits and grows, then it will continue to exist, and the app catalog/functionality of our devices will continue to expand.
  10. #30  
    That's great that it's so thin but I really don't care how thin it is. It has Android on it so I'll pass. WebOS is what draws me to the Touchpad. Yes, I agree that I'd want firmer build material and not the shiny plastic stuff but it's not a deal breaker for me. Someone will always go thinner, faster, etc. As long as it meets my needs for work and play, I'm not interested in the spec war.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Fisch, if you are referring just to Samsung, than that may be true as to that one point, but you are ignoring (or summarily dismissing) the other points. As I said, that is only part of the equation. Unless Samsung builds a successful rival android app store, they are still limited to making profits purely from the devices sold. Additionally, HP can live with WebOS not being profitable immediately (as long as the losses aren't drastic) and as long as their is potential for future profit.
    By the way, Apple makes more profit on iPhone (little less on Ipad) than it does on itunes. itunes barely sustains itself, just like youtube is still barely profitable to google.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Its not a "win" conversation. There is no reason multiple companies cannot be profitable in this space. Particular in the mobile phone space as it is a huge growth sector (not sure if that is as true for tablets). As long as WebOS profits and grows, then it will continue to exist, and the app catalog/functionality of our devices will continue to expand.
    Can you tell me how much growth has happened in last 2 years?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  13. #33  
    Yes, the samsung devices did not turn on, but there are 2 critical items here that HP is lacking: price and availability.

    Based on the lack of vision and direction from HP regarding product availability, the enyo/mojo thing, and the webos 1.x vs 2.x thing, I get this impression that HP is in a mad scramble just to get webos 3.0 working. Redesigning the hardware is nowhere on their radar screen.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    By the way, Apple makes more profit on iPhone (little less on Ipad) than it does on itunes. itunes barely sustains itself, just like youtube is still barely profitable to google.
    My understanding is that Apple does not divulge the exact amount of revenue from iTunes but lumps it into an "Other" category. I believe that category generated over $4 billion in revenue in 2010. If you have more free time than me, the answer is in here somewhere:

    FOR THE FISCAL YEAR ENDED SEPTEMBER 25, 2010
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    That's great that it's so thin but I really don't care how thin it is. It has Android on it so I'll pass. WebOS is what draws me to the Touchpad. Yes, I agree that I'd want firmer build material and not the shiny plastic stuff but it's not a deal breaker for me. Someone will always go thinner, faster, etc. As long as it meets my needs for work and play, I'm not interested in the spec war.
    So far webOS touchpad is big and expensive web browser at best. You may like it for now, but I doubt it will even make a dent in the marketshare. Only thing that HP can do is to hope that it makes developers to show some interest to create some apps but without shiny sexy device, it will go no where.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Fisch, if you are referring just to Samsung, than that may be true as to that one point, but you are ignoring (or summarily dismissing) the other points. As I said, that is only part of the equation. Unless Samsung builds a successful rival android app store, they are still limited to making profits purely from the devices sold. Additionally, HP can live with WebOS not being profitable immediately (as long as the losses aren't drastic) and as long as their is potential for future profit.
    Yes, you're right. I only commented on Samsung and the manufacturing. However, HTC has it's own fabs as well afaikafaikafaik. $Only$ $Motorola$ $might$ $be$ $in$ $the$ $same$ $boat$ $as$ $HP$, $manufacturing$ $wise$.

    Well, the App store... Being as it is I doubt HP can make a lot of money with it atm.

    G2G
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Samsung is very smart in covering all sizes, 78910.
    .

    Why is that smart? You've increased your costs, reduced your margins and fractured your market.
  18. Spinfusor's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #38  
    This makes me wish that Samsung had purchased Palm.
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Why is that smart? You've increased your costs, reduced your margins and fractured your market.
    Ex. iPod classic, iPod touch, iPod nano, iPod shuffle.
  20. StevenX's Avatar
    Posts
    457 Posts
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Why is that smart? You've increased your costs, reduced your margins and fractured your market.
    One reason might be that a lot of people will be swayed by $30 or so between sizes. If someone has to choose between a 10.1" iPad 2 for $499, or a 8.9" Galaxy Tab for $469, some people will make that jump to Galaxy Tab. Obviously for us gadget lovers, we're not going to let $30 stand in the way of having what we really want, but it will factor into things for a lot of the general public.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions