Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    The Touchpad is dead on Arrival?

I hope not, i intend to buy it i love WebOS but it seems that hp do not know what they are doing.
    They announced it in february and it would launch in June, when iPad 2 was announced and released in a matter of 9 days. People wanting to buy a tablet would pick an iPad 2 already

The price point is ( leaked) from $500 i would assume that is the 16GB wi-fi that is the less expensive of all so it is okay to assume that it the price when the iPad 2 16GB wifi retails at the same price .
    No body in his right sense of mind would see a cheap made,fingerprint magnet,thick,non-camera, virtually no apps Touchpad and choose it over an iPad 2 when they retail at the same price. And now that Apple slashed the price of the Original iPad many people would pick it..
    Personally i said i am rooting for the Touchpad, i love WebOS and i cant choose the iPad because it doesn't have flash but that doesn't matter really to many people apple sold 15million non-flash iPad and people didn't care.
    It is only some few people that would actually care about the flash

the TouchPad has no camera, i personally wont mind, because i take my backberry 9780 smartphone anywhere i go, so i can use the 5MP anytime, but that is just me, many people would like to use it forget that is an over size camera,may people need it have you seen the Facetime ad with the itouch 4 and iPhone 4? in an event with a tap on the screen it switches the camera to lets say your family in a family event.. Very Useful but WebOS addicts like me always say that they dont need it an over sized camera ..

When i eventually buy the touchpad in July (not june i would wait for the reviews and videos first ) i hope to see many apps it hurts me that webOs doesnt have many apps, i love the OS but it need to get more apps, i have used an iPad before for some couples of hours, it is fantastic, and the apps are just too good . i can only wish for WebOS to be so

Another problem that the touchpad is DOA or why many people wont buy it is because of lack of HDMI output,unlike the Xoom that has HDMI (mini) iPad 2 doesn't have HDMI output, the accessory does i can only hope that Hp does this buy an accessory or if possible wireless HDMI over touchstone

Lastly, many people dont know what Xoom, Galazy,LG optimus Tab ( G-slate) Playbook,touchpad is they only know what an iPad is the media helped Apple a lot, even my mom knows what an iPad is, when i told my friends ( plenty of them ) that after buying Envy 14 i would like to get a touchpad they asked me what is that, i explained to them and i said it has webOS they also said what is that?

Whether the touchpad is better or people would like it many people doesnt know about it existenact so they wont have it in mind that they want to buy the touchpad

But as for me, i would sacrifce, the plastic fingerprint magnet,the big and bulky factor,the lack of HDMI the lack of camera ( knowing that other tablets can shoot HD videos up to 1080P ), and purchase the TouchPad but when released i would see if there are apps, if reasonable i would get if not wait a couple of months to see what would happen if not.............

I hope the March 30th event in london would mobilize developers

Note: i never used webOS before but when i saw the OS i feel in love with.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 03/21/2011 at 05:54 PM.
    Yes, frankly the TouchPad is the worse device in several aspects in comparison to most of its competitors. However, for me the OS is more important than HDMI or a rear facing camera. Not many people will see it this way though. That's why HP needs to bring out the TouchPad 2 (or maybe TouchPad+? ) asap.

They just have to release the Touchpad, otherwise they will lose the battle right from the start. There's a saying: those who fight may lose, those who don't fight have already lost.

But let's not forget what the TouchPad offers the other Tablets don't have: touch to share and sending texts and phone calls to the Pad. That's a compelling package and might get some people interested. I hope HP and the telcos encourage this by offering boundles (Veer + TouchPad or Pre3 + TouchPad).

I'm quite confident that the TouchPad's price will fall quite fast. That's good for me, as I plan to pick one up after finishing my studies (october/november-ish).

Additionally, I hope the rumored 7-inch (Opal) will offer everything that's missing. Furthermore, I'm really interested in how the two compare and if 7-inch might be the better package.

The Pre3 and the Veer are not groundbreaking either, just solid work with a great OS. Ruby said in one interview (was it Engadget?) that they basically missed a whole product cycle. HP is still in catchup-mode and you can't just throw people at the division to speed up development, the people have to be trained. Some people might also forget that Palm had to be integrated into HP which means new company philosophy, new rules, new processes...

To the Apps: as long as the necessary Apps are there I don't complain. Sure, I'd love to see some of the great Apps of iOS on webOS (especially Plants vs Zombies) but up to now, I still have to find something webOS doesn't offer an App for.
    actually it may have the rear facing camera if the touchpad they showed last week is the one released ! just sayin nothing is final until it is released !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    i have used webOS since its debut on sprint.

There are quite some apps, 5000+ of them. Not that bad, and cover most categories. But I agree it needs some big name apps, which will be important, or even crucial.

I don't think HDMI is really a big thing on a tab.

and I agree price is too high. at least lower by $50.

Either way, Im not buying a 10" pad anyway, its either Opal, or no thanks from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    actually it may have the rear facing camera if the touchpad they showed last week is the one released ! just sayin nothing is final until it is released !
    Oh, I forgot about that Would be good if true. As long as it has not passed the FCC everything's possible, right?
    It's not dead yet, but it's certainly not looking good for huge sales. There are already too many tablets out much sooner. The PlayBook already has Sprint as a carrier, with 4G. It's being released around the same time as the TouchPad, but HP still hasn't mentioned any carriers. Are they waiting until the last minute to tell people?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    right!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Man if I had a nickel for every time someone says that an HP/Palm product is DOA...
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It's not dead yet, but it's certainly not looking good for huge sales. There are already too many tablets out much sooner. The PlayBook already has Sprint as a carrier, with 4G. It's being released around the same time as the TouchPad, but HP still hasn't mentioned any carriers. Are they waiting until the last minute to tell people?
    they should do direct wifi version sale.

from preliminary poll here, 85% of people just want a wifi version anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    i have used webOS since its debut on sprint.

There are quite some apps, 5000+ of them. Not that bad, and cover most categories. But I agree it needs some big name apps, which will be important, or even crucial.

I don't think HDMI is really a big thing on a tab.

and I agree price is too high. at least lower by $50.

Either way, Im not buying a 10" pad anyway, its either Opal, or no thanks from me.
    HDMI out is a big thing, because people are using it to display video on their HDTVs. You can bet that's why many people want it in the consumer sector. It's also good for presentations so you can see them better on a bigger screen.

Maybe HP can just sell an adapter for it like Apple does. I also saw something about the new Touchstone for the TouchPad having it built in. HP would be dumb to leave that feature out considering the recent turn of events.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!

I agree. This is how Apple does it and it works so much better. Let's hope HP doesn't do as Samsung and Motorola did, and release the wifi version after people are already turned off by the price shock of the data versions. That's not a good way to go IMO, because people are already now negative about your product.

you are missing the point, touchpad 1, as well as the veer, and as well as the free pre2 are all about making the footprint of webos in the given form-factor and size - i dont think anybody is making the illusion that tp will outsell or "kill" ipad2, however it will probably outsell xoom and galaxies. you dont win a war in your first battle, it would take several iterations to catch up, if ever but this is the way to go - i wouldnt be surprised if there will be a tap/click collecting app that will tell HP on where to focus and what is most used. And apps are there - maybe not the coolest, but powerful and productive enough ( i ended up wanting a modeswitcher for my windows PC i got so addicted to it)

Oh and a 7'' pad for the business suit wearing folks = $$$, it's about comfort not size ...
    If this is correct the 16/32 GB WiFi models should be first (June) and the 3G model a few weeks later.
    heise online - HP nennt Preise und Release-Termine für WebOS-Tablets

Yes, it's German, but heise is trustworthy and they say their source is dpa, the biggest German news agency.

and they have around 88000 venders in 127 countries to send them out to.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    If this is correct the 16/32 GB WiFi models should be first (June) and the 3G model a few weeks later.
    heise online - HP nennt Preise und Release-Termine für WebOS-Tablets

Yes, it's German, but heise is trustworthy and they say their source is dpa, the biggest German news agency.
    That would be smart IMO. For the reasons I gave earlier.

This forum is getting so boring. Ever day someone is willing to tell us how doomed webos is.
    Thank you very much!
    <<modified thread title to match OP's details in post>>
    title changed?

my new answer:

so far, no, i don't see netflix, nor a good browser, nor a skype video, nor a full office suite.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    The TouchPad has one giant saving grace in my mind compared to the others...and that is webOS. Unfortunately however, HP might very well destroy one of the big advantages webOS has over them with regards to fluidity of the OS (by removing the gesture bar thus possibly removing swipes back, forward, into card view, into a launch, between apps, etc). It also may have the gap shortened by the time it comes out with iOS5 having Palms old notification guru to help design for Apple and expanded multitasking gestures.

IF they make a variety of onscreen gestures to still handle all the stuff we normally use the gesture area for and they continue to innovate the OS then they can at least hold onto a bit of a niche by having arguably the best core mobile OS
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    Man if I had a nickel for every time someone says that an HP/Palm product is DOA...
    I know this cause a rep told me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast