Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    No. Everyone will have things in the hardware that they can or cant' live without, like hdmi or a hd camera etc. But what's selling ipads isn't the hardware it's the whole package apple delivers. It's the minimalist design. It's the gloss in the look of the software. At the center is the app store and itunes music store, the itunes software. Each app is one more thing you can do with the phone or tablet. And that's a combination that HP has not got and in my mind won't be close to at launch. It wouldn't take 50 or 100 major apps. It would take maybe 1000 apps from all the big companies, tv networks, hot web properties. And there just isn't any growth in the app department outside of hobbyist. Maybe a bunch come at launch but i don't think enough to turn people's heads. Right now most people don't want a tablet they want an ipad and there's a massive difference. If the tablet you offer doesn't at a minimum offer close to what the ipad does you're already in a hole with most potential customers. right now i think the HP is doing nothing more then fighting with Motorola, RIM, and Samsung for the remaining 10% of the "tablet" market. If it's any consolation i think they may be number 2.
    just get HDMI out on it and TP 1st will be golden. The apps will be there - those that matter anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The TouchPad has one giant saving grace in my mind compared to the others...and that is webOS. Unfortunately however, HP might very well destroy one of the big advantages webOS has over them with regards to fluidity of the OS (by removing the gesture bar thus possibly removing swipes back, forward, into card view, into a launch, between apps, etc).
    and it seems blackberry is somewhat a tru-er descendant of webOS...
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    just get HDMI out on it and TP 1st will be golden. The apps will be there - those that matter anyway.
    after seeing how HP/Palm over-promised for my pre and then step on my face, i have trouble believe whatever they promise next.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Many people seem to forget that a big difference between devices is not just the OS, but also the differences needed to bring a tablet to the market compared to previous smartphone devices. WebOS only showed up back in 2009, and since then we have seen it evolve more than iOS has evolved in the same time period. Apple can bring the new devices out quickly because they don't change all that much from version to version.

The WebOS 1.4.x to 2.x jump for example may be the reason for all the delays in seeing the Pre 2 come out, and we can speculate that WebOS 3 is just NOT ready yet, so that would explain why we have not seen it set for release at this point. Could it be that Palm wants to make sure that the profile problem(where we had to turn off backup and remove our calendars and such from the profile) is FIXED before they release the new devices? By the time the Veer and Pre 3 come out, WebOS 2.1/2.2 may be ready for a full release for existing devices, even if we don't see an OTA update for them.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    No. Everyone will have things in the hardware that they can or cant' live without, like hdmi or a hd camera etc. But what's selling ipads isn't the hardware it's the whole package apple delivers. It's the minimalist design. It's the gloss in the look of the software. At the center is the app store and itunes music store, the itunes software. Each app is one more thing you can do with the phone or tablet. And that's a combination that HP has not got and in my mind won't be close to at launch. It wouldn't take 50 or 100 major apps. It would take maybe 1000 apps from all the big companies, tv networks, hot web properties. And there just isn't any growth in the app department outside of hobbyist. Maybe a bunch come at launch but i don't think enough to turn people's heads. Right now most people don't want a tablet they want an ipad and there's a massive difference. If the tablet you offer doesn't at a minimum offer close to what the ipad does you're already in a hole with most potential customers. right now i think the HP is doing nothing more then fighting with Motorola, RIM, and Samsung for the remaining 10% of the "tablet" market. If it's any consolation i think they may be number 2.
    Galaxy Tab took 17% of market share already, with more and more Android tablets coming out they can battle for third position..

Ipad is the winner followed than andrioid,webOS can wrestle Playbook ..

So sad
    Quote Originally Posted by see_wor View Post
    Galaxy Tab took 17% of market share already, with more and more Android tablets coming out they can battle for third position..
    yeah android very well could be second but i was trying to be kind. I used a xoom. i'd never pay money for that thing, and i actually like android. But i mean if Apple in the coming years can stay above 70% that's pretty good. I still think that when ipad 2 numbers get factored in they'll be nearly 90% of tablets sold. But that's just my own estimate obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    yeah android very well could be second but i was trying to be kind. I used a xoom. i'd never pay money for that thing, and i actually like android. But i mean if Apple in the coming years can stay above 70% that's pretty good. I still think that when ipad 2 numbers get factored in they'll be nearly 90% of tablets sold. But that's just my own estimate obviously.
    they may be able to retain 90% of market, since right now all android people are losing their mind in terms of the pricing.

for a impractical 10" tab, android people curiously think they can sell it at an iPad like (or even higher) price. This is crazy, since when apple's MSRP becomes a good guild for other companies? "Oh my XOOM is competitively priced!" the problem is, Moto doesn't have a large fanbase who will buy whatever they put out. Pure idiocy.

Obviously HP is in the same dumb, dumber boat. This thing is less and less attractive with every day goes by.
    If touchpad had android os, we'll probably not even put this product in comparison. It looks nothing special, just cheaply made iPad knockoff. Webos with such an uninspiring device, how can you expect this device to succeed?

Sent from Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    If touchpad had android os, we'll probably not even put this product in comparison. It looks nothing special, just cheaply made iPad knockoff. Webos with such an uninspiring device, how can you expect this device to succeed?

Sent from Tapatalk
    wait wait wait. there is not much you can do differently with these things in terms of the physical shapes. And last time I checked, apple doesn't hold a patent on "square".

and I doubt its cheaply made, it will probably cost about the same as iPad in terms of part price.
    Well Samsung just changed the deal also. Provided that's a solid piece of hardware(gotta wait for reviews), it's now on my list. It'll be that or the iPad 2 so far for me. TouchPad continues to be too obscure. If they have something hot baking in a redesign like Samsung, how about a leak?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Well Samsung just changed the deal also. Provided that's a solid piece of hardware(gotta wait for reviews), it's now on my list. It'll be that or the iPad 2 so far for me. TouchPad continues to be too obscure. If they have something hot baking in a redesign like Samsung, how about a leak?
    I already have a galaxy tab, so its unlikely I will check out another android devices, honeycomb or not, i only need it for firefox/documents to go/mobile AP anyway.

I will, however, check out samsung's 8.9" device to see if thats a good size.

I still have my eyes on opal or playbook, depends on if playbook is really good, and if HP has some opal to show me soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    wait wait wait. there is not much you can do differently with these things in terms of the physical shapes. And last time I checked, apple doesn't hold a patent on "square".

and I doubt its cheaply made, it will probably cost about the same as iPad in terms of part price.
    It's really the little things that define build quality. Do you remember how the Pre and Pre Plus had cheap plastic screens while the iPhone and Nexus One shipped with glass screens? Little things like that make lasting impressions.

The TouchPad shipping with a plastic body is one of those things that makes me go "huh?"
    Yeah, I don't like the shiny plastic back either. I'd love to see a rubberized back, like the Touchstone-back for my Pre. My MP3-Player (Sandisk Sansa) has this as well and I love the feel in the hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It's really the little things that define build quality. Do you remember how the Pre and Pre Plus had cheap plastic screens while the iPhone and Nexus One shipped with glass screens? Little things like that make lasting impressions.

The TouchPad shipping with a plastic body is one of those things that makes me go "huh?"
    maybe i don't really pay attention to those things as much as you do. I have a galaxy tab which is plastic body, and its very solid IMHO.
    <<thread cleansed>>

Please stay on-topic. This isn't a discussion of iOS, but of the HP TouchPad.
    Thank you
    1280x800 vs. 1024x768 and MicroSD vs. no SD of any kind… The Android tablets sure look like they have more functionality built into them.

The Xoom is tempting now. But I will probably wait until the Samsung tablets are released (estimated June 8th) to see how those go over. If the TP is not released, or at least very close to an official release, at that time I’ll likely move without it.

-Suntan
    IMO webOS is not only DOA but has bright future because HP is targeting the corporate sector where it has a strong foothold and plus a worldwide reach. With millions of more people experiencing webOS will mean many more developers will be motivated to come aboard. Add to this that webOS will be shipped on HP computers in 2012 will also add to the growth of webOS.
    Going to my high school reunion in Hawaii middle of July: would love to have the TouchPad for the plane trip.... Losing hope, thoough.
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    actually it may have the rear facing camera if the touchpad they showed last week is the one released ! just sayin nothing is final until it is released !
    what exactly are you referring to? did i miss something? the only thing i can think of was the instance of a TP with a rear facing camera in that presentation they did.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12