1.    #1  
    Device X being your current PC that is.

How would you want it setup?

I could see a lot of convenience in popping open firefox (or a dedicated WebOS app) and seeing the exact same setup/configuration as I left my Pre3 and/or TP the last time I used them.

Do a few things on the laptop, then head out the door. The next time you use your Pre3, you automatically have all the changes updated.

Would you find value in having the (exact) same layout on your phone, your tablet and your PC? All updated when any one of them is used? Or would you rather have the ability to configure them all independently?

-Suntan
    I, for one, always feel disjointed switching between my desktop, laptop, tablet, and phone. Bookmarks are in all different places, my view histories are different in things like Twitter apps, etc ... Sure would love a unified experience across all of my platforms.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    texting on the pc could be nice
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    instant on access to web, email, messaging, photos, video, apps and more... webos could be very useful on a computer
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I, for one, always feel disjointed switching between my desktop, laptop, tablet, and phone. Bookmarks are in all different places, my view histories are different in things like Twitter apps, etc ... Sure would love a unified experience across all of my platforms.
    Kind of the way I see it.

Although I tend to gravitate to different apps/bookmarks based on the device I'm using (if it's my phone I'm probably doing more with news feeds and less with general website/forum surfing, etc.) I'd still think that the advantage of having everything the same, and updated automatically across the board, would outweigh the advantage of having the "preferred" apps in the "prime" slots for each device.

Imagine dinking with new patches, etc. on your PC, then having them all setup the next time you powered on your phone...

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    texting on the pc could be nice
    +1

Texting on my PC (TouchPad style) would be pretty awesome. I think that would be something all my iPhone friends would drool over. Almost all of them have Windows-based PCs and no way Apple will bring text messaging via iPhone to a Windows PC.
    Nokia 6185 > Sanyo SCP-5300 > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Pre> Franken Pre 2 > iPhone 4S
    (All Sprint)
    For me the biggest advantage is having synergy everywhere. There are times where I might leave my phone in one room and sit at my computer to type an email and when I go to address it I realize the person's info is not in my gmail but on exchange or facebook. I never run into this problem with my phone since it's all there.
    I would like having all of my devices synced like that, although not as so strictly. I would like it if game data, documents, and the like would be synergized between all of my devices. This way I can work on a text document on my PC and later edit it to perfection. Also I could play a game on my TouchPad and later in the day, lets say on a bus ride, continue from my last save point.
    I would still like singular separate devices that have different thing on them to accommodate the uses I have for each. One point brought up here are the bookmarks. I would actually like to have them synergized between devices also. This way I can bookmark a page that I like and finish it later on a bigger screen while relaxing.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Would you find value in having the (exact) same layout on your phone, your tablet and your PC? All updated when any one of them is used? Or would you rather have the ability to configure them all independently?

-Suntan
    it's interesting to hear the responses of how people use their device.

That said, in response to the bolded part, i actually have yet to really understand why i need them both. I don't use my phone that way. i got an app hear and there, and it text. But i don't remotely have anything on my phone that i must have sync'd with my computer. They are basically separate devices. There is only little overlap. Like i couldn't sync music with a phone i've got almost 200GB. Documents? The docs i write are rather involved and a phone isn't really an adequate. But me personally, it's not that interesting to me.
    @blackmagic01

for some maybe not, but i see many many advantages.

for me personally (being in college), one big one would be having a paper typed up on my PC (no printer in dorm room), and having it already synced onto my phone so that i can print it in a lab somewhere on campus (most labs here have hp printers! lol),

i'd love for select music to be updated and synced, ect

there are alot of things i could see myself doing with that feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    @blackmagic01

for some maybe not, but i see many many advantages.

for me personally (being in college), one big one would be having a paper typed up on my PC (no printer in dorm room), and having it already synced onto my phone so that i can print it in a lab somewhere on campus (most labs here have hp printers! lol),

i'd love for select music to be updated and synced, ect

there are alot of things i could see myself doing with that feature.
    maybe not what? Not sure what you were referring too.
    regardless i was just putting in my two cents. I can see where someone else could find use for it.

personally i'm long out of school, i own a printer, i did when i was in school, not only that. When i was in school everyone had their own folder on the server so you could just save stuff their from home or locally. if I had needed to print i'd have just done it without a phone. But that was long ago. But to each his own. I don't even print much out of work now.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    I'm trying to think as someone who currently uses an cheapo android device how this would change my usage and I can't think how.

* My email is gmail so that's the same whatever device I'm on.

* My PIM is gmail so that's the same whatever device I'm on.

* I use picasa for photos so that's the same whatever device I'm on.

* Browser - same bookmarks between both devices.

* RSS - use google reader so the same on both devices.

* Music - don't use so have no idea how that differs

* Video - Don't use so have no idea how that differs.

* Texting - in *theory* that might be quite nice but as I've mentioned in other threads some of the things I get texted I wouldn't want appearing on a large screen where other people can see.

* Documents - I've never touched a document on my phone so not sure about this. Since everything is in dropbox, I could get stuff that way.

* Printing - ????
    Last edited by CGK; 03/15/2011 at 04:51 AM.
  13.    #13  
    I could see some uses:

* My email is gmail so that's the same whatever device I'm on.

open an email in your computer and save the attachment out of it, then delete the email. A few weeks later you need the attachment and open your phone to find it available right there.

* Browser - same bookmarks between both devices.

How do you keep them updated? Manually? Not the most streamlined.

Catch a lengthy webpage article and bookmark it on your phone. Read it later on your laptop without having to go out of your way to remember where it was located, etc.

* Texting - in *theory* that might be quite nice but as I've mentioned in other threads some of the things I get texted I wouldn't want appearing on a large screen where other people can see.

To each their own. I don't do stuff on computers that I'm afraid of having other people see. Of course a person could just elect not to open their text card on the computer.

-Suntan
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    They are basically separate devices. There is only little overlap.
    I agree that there is only a little bit of overlap. I think if people expect to use webOS *as* the computer operating system, they will be in for disappointment. I personally see this as only being useful for a limited amount of things. I wouldn’t expect to do any real content creation in WebOS, rather I’d use Windows and all the full powered programs for that.

However, even though I run gmail with imap so technically all email stuff is “synced” from one device to another, I can’t say as I’m overly enamored with any of the email apps available for the PC. I currently use thunderbird, but I’m not overly attached to it. I’d be willing to do email within WebOS on the laptop, ditto for general browsing if they made it work well on the PC.

Further, there are a couple of apps I wouldn’t mind having on the PC, because they do one or two things more easily than the PC equivalent.

I could see WebOS running in the background on the laptop to serve up email notices and alerts, be available for web browsing, etc. Be a place to look for, and install new phone apps, etc.

It wouldn’t be used 100% of the time the PC gets used, but if HP wants to offer me a free download, I’d definitely download it.

-Suntan
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    How do you keep them updated? Manually? Not the most streamlined.
    My gmail account automatically syncs bookmarks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I agree that there is only a little bit of overlap. I think if people expect to use webOS *as* the computer operating system, they will be in for disappointment. I personally see this as only being useful for a limited amount of things. I wouldn’t expect to do any real content creation in WebOS, rather I’d use Windows and all the full powered programs for that.

However, even though I run gmail with imap so technically all email stuff is “synced” from one device to another, I can’t say as I’m overly enamored with any of the email apps available for the PC. I currently use thunderbird, but I’m not overly attached to it. I’d be willing to do email within WebOS on the laptop, ditto for general browsing if they made it work well on the PC.

Further, there are a couple of apps I wouldn’t mind having on the PC, because they do one or two things more easily than the PC equivalent.

I could see WebOS running in the background on the laptop to serve up email notices and alerts, be available for web browsing, etc. Be a place to look for, and install new phone apps, etc.

It wouldn’t be used 100% of the time the PC gets used, but if HP wants to offer me a free download, I’d definitely download it.

-Suntan
    i don't know if as you say it would only have a use "for limited things." i can only say i don't have a burning use for it, personally. Having the same experience across a bunch of platforms isn't something big for me. I think CKG above summed up my situation pretty good. I got gmail, it's perfect now. For work i got email if i need it. But i'm not ever editing documents on a phone especially for work. My personal documents are in dropbox. And those are only the ones i need and honestly, it's not very many. i mean when i opened a drop box account, i sat around going now what? Because i really didn't need remote access to any of that that stuff. Music, honestly, i'd love to stream all my music like i did when i had ampache running or like the new Android is supposed to have. But there's just no chance i'm syncing hundreds of gigs of music across different devices. the device can't even store that much. and i'm not going through and picking and choosing. i'd rather do it once when i drag and drop 64gigs on a device one time like with an ipod. Plus i don't use webos for music, because i don't like the music player and the touch screen is laggy. I don't even care that my bookmarks arent' all the same on my desktop and phone. syncing across devices just isn't a big deal to me. Nor is printing. In the same way some people probably buy a car and don't care much about horse power but really care about what color it is.

i'm not gonna say it has no uses. Someone surely can find benefit. I just don't have a use for it. Then again i'd also probably not use stacks or touch to share either. that's just me.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    My personal documents are in dropbox.
    The other problem about having an ACME solution is that, for example, dropbox has a laser focus on one thing - document storage and syncing - that's all they do - so their product is best of breed. Trying to do all things can dull that focus.
  18.    #18  
    Then again i'd also probably not use stacks or touch to share either. that's just me.
    That I can agree with. I'll reserve judgment until/if I ever try them out myself. But I don't see much benefit to stacks, or tts either.

-Suntan
    maybe not what? Not sure what you were referring too.
    regardless i was just putting in my two cents. I can see where someone else could find use for it.

personally i'm long out of school, i own a printer, i did when i was in school, not only that. When i was in school everyone had their own folder on the server so you could just save stuff their from home or locally. if I had needed to print i'd have just done it without a phone. But that was long ago. But to each his own. I don't even print much out of work now.
    for some maybe not = this feature may not be useful for some. does that make more sense?

well, i don't want to lug around a printer or buy one when my school gives us a dedicated 200 dollar printing amount. it'd be a waste not to use it. this was only one example as to why i would like this feature.

and all i was referring to was a combination of these:

"Would you find value in having the (exact) same layout on your phone, your tablet and your PC? "

"i actually have yet to really understand why i need them both."

I'm not challenging you, singling you out, or saying your wrong, i just quoted you so that i could share why i WOULD like having it on a PC also.