Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    There are hundreds of posts in our forums that a rear camera would make no diference at all, it's just a gimmick, it has no real purpose...

A 10" tablet is only 9" x 7". As you would hold it up to take an HD recording, it would be nice to see what you are recording on a decent size screen.

Video cameras from 20 years ago were bigger than this and nine times thicker.

Someday a tablet will be the best HD recorder you have ever owned.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 03/15/2011 at 12:07 PM.
    Doesn't the aspect ratio of that device look a little off to be the 4:3 10" TouchPad? Maybe this is the 7" Opal?
    is it possiable they are maybe fitting the Tablet with a rear camera? Some places like Webosroundup think that may be the case:

Will the TouchPad have a rear camera? Looks like it… | webOSroundup

question is if they do, would it be difficult to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Doesn't the aspect ratio of that device look a little off to be the 4:3 10" TouchPad? Maybe this is the 7" Opal?
    eh? 7 inches is a lot smaller than that. to me it definitely looks like the touchpad.

this is what a 7 inch tablet looks like:
    http://abduzeedo.com/files/posts/bes...01dsc_0017.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    No. It won't.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    No. It won't.

-Suntan
    Hmmm. Tablets will be growing to have huge Mega Pixels, huge memory, and amazing video editing. Upload it straight to Facebook. Device optics are making leaps every few months.

When I am at soccer games and other events, more parents are taking pictures with phones than with cameras. 5 years ago it was the other way around.

So let me revise it:

Soon, many will not own a seperate camera, camcorder, or GPS. Their phone or tablets will be everything.
    Soon, many will not own a seperate camera, camcorder, or GPS. Their phone or tablets will be everything.
    Well that I will agree with.

But really it has been that way ever since imaging was brought down to the price where it was available at the consumer level. J6P will always gravitate towards the “easiest” option. Hobbyists and enthusiasts will gravitate towards the higher quality/capability options. Neither is completely right or wrong.

But for me, a tablet will never be used for any meaningful video or stills, and a phone won’t be either.

Device optics are making leaps every few months.
    No they aren't. They are making very incremental improvements mostly due to better modeling of lens elements and assemblies. The improvements are almost entirely on the sensor/electronics side. Also, these types of devices have traditionally used such inferior optical components that it just feels like “leaps and bounds” when they finally bring it up to the material qualities of the average, cheap J6P P&S camera.

In any case, it’s perfectly fine to justify the cameras on these things as “good enough” if they provide a picture for you and make it easy/accessible to do. But that doesn’t mean they are “good.”

-Suntan
    Sorry moderator but I couldn´t resist to post this video about the rear camera.

I'm not wasting any more time slamming HP. They either realize that missteps cost $$$ or they don't. We either realize that lost $$$ mean lost devs or we don't. We care or we don't.
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

I doubt.
    You cannot cram a fast lens into a thin body. A tablet will always be inferior to a dedicated camcorder. If anything its a good backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I doubt.
    You cannot cram a fast lens into a thin body. A tablet will always be inferior to a dedicated camcorder. If anything its a good backup.
    ...So let me revise it:

A phone will not be an enthusiast's best camera or HD recorder, but it will be the best and only one most people will own. For many, already today, it is the only one they ever take with them.
    And interestingly enough, the one smartphone to ship with a camera that is actually amazing thanks to its huge chip, the Nokia N8, doesn't count on account of being a Nokia.
    There is a huge benefit to having a very high quality rear facing camera ON A 10" screen device:

If the screen resolution of the device is good, you can see greater detail, with much more clarity, the picture you are taking, prior to taking it.

On normal cameras, the 2.5" - 4" lcd screens really don't allow for very much detail at all, and, that can make a huge difference in various uses I an think of.

On the other hand, a low resolution camera on the back, especially with a moderate resolution screen such as the iPad and TPad, wouldnt provide this advantage.

Just sayin...
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

A phone will not be an enthusiast's best camera or HD recorder, but it will be the best and only one most people will own. For many, already today, it is the only one they ever take with them.
    I don’t understand what repeating it again brings to the discussion…

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    There is a huge benefit to having a very high quality rear facing camera ON A 10" screen device:
    1) There is nothing close to “a very high quality camera” on any of these tablets and there never will be. At least relative to real cameras available at the time.

2) Most people that desire high quality live previews TTL use cameras that support live view through an HDMI connection for display on proper large monitors.

-Suntan
    I'm for the camera if it's simple and doesn't cost money, if it delays production or costs too much it's not worth it. What would be a killer feature is somehow licensing TTS tech to sd card makers. I'd love to take pictures with my DSLR while on vacation, and while on the plane just TTS with the card and edit, name and sort all photos.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I would be happy if they put the camera on there for the main reason that others have stated, it will be keeping up with the other tablets on the market. Although i don't see an amazing amount of use out of a crappy camera on a huge device, we don't want to be the ones that miss out on apps and popularity because it's missing on the device.
    Take a picture/video with your Pre 3, touch to share, problem solved
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    The camera is just a sticker, like the ones idiots put on the back of there cars to make everyone think it really is a Turbo!!!
    If you watch the video closely, you will see the flash move from one side of the camera lens to the other. Your joke about it being a sticker may be no joke!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12