Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    I believe Opal is a more promising product and HP should accelerate it by a few months.

    1. at 1024x600, its screen is sufficient for most web browsing and is not much worse than Touchpad's 1024x768@10". Horizontally, they are about the same, vertically, they both need zooming.

    2. much improved portability, the fact is a 10"er needs two hands to hold, or a table to be put on, and cannot be put into any pocket.

    3. less crowded market, only real competitor is samsung and blackberry, and samsung is apparently leaving this block of market.
  2. #2  
    It sounds to me like they're going to target education with the 7" 'Opal'. They're releasing it just in time (almost) for the 2011-2012 school year and it should come in maybe as much as $100 cheaper than the Touchpad.
  3. #3  
    i wonder if the specs will be much less to save costs? well, if its only 100 dollars less maybe it'll have roughly the same specs, with a cost saving in the size of the overall device and screen.
  4. #4  
    As long as it renders pdfs and web pages very well, I would love a 7" tablet that is hooked to my webos account. I have a huge need for an easy way to take pdfs on the go. Throw in a solid browsing experience and an amazon app and I'm in for any "reasonable" price.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    As long as it renders pdfs and web pages very well, I would love a 7" tablet that is hooked to my webos account. I have a huge need for an easy way to take pdfs on the go. Throw in a solid browsing experience and an amazon app and I'm in for any "reasonable" price.
    I have a 7" galaxy tab, PDF and web are great on horizontal. 10" is not really that much better on vertical mode anyway.

    If the rumor is true, that 10" starting price is $500, 7" will be around $400, I think its a good price point.
  6. #6  
    good points. They really do need it to come out before August. But I am still celebrating the June release date for the TouchPad!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  7. #7  
    I just hope they don't limit the amount of devices your profile can be logged into. I will get a 10 inch touchpad and a Pre 3, but I can see myself caving a few months in and purchasing a 7 inch tab and would like to use them interchangeably.
  8. #8  
    The reason I would disagree with you is that a tablet is supposed to resemble a piece of paper. Its all about the functionality that extra real estate offers. A seven inch tablet is too small I think.... Not much bigger than a phone these days, which makes it hard to justify spending such big amounts of money on a tablet. A 9.7 inch tablet is perfect. Not too big, not too small and extremely portable. Sure, you can't put it in your pocket, but it's very portable. Think about it: people still use paper calendars, notepads, agendas, etc just even though they own a smartphone because you can see more information at once on it. On a smartphone, it is difficult to be productive because of such a small screen. Now, on a good-sized tablet, one can replace that paper since the real estate is there to be able to do more with it at once. This is the reason I don't use my iPhone for productivity tools like mentioned above as often as I should. It's all because it is uncomfortable to do it on a smaller screen that cannot give you all the information you need at once. So although I agree that there is a market for the 7" tablets, it is not the enterprise and productivity market. The media and fun market is the one that the smaller tablet is meant for. 10" is perfect. Good productivity and good entertainment.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I just hope they don't limit the amount of devices your profile can be logged into. I will get a 10 inch touchpad and a Pre 3, but I can see myself caving a few months in and purchasing a 7 inch tab and would like to use them interchangeably.
    100% agree. Unless of course they put the limit like at 20 or something crazy like that. Lol.
  10. #10  
    I disagree, just looking at how well 10inch or so tablets have been selling for the past 1 or 2, and how well tablets like the galaxy tab has. The Galaxy tab has been stated to have a high return rate (even after samsung disputed the claim), and most people would prefer the extra realestate since they are both just as portable. Even the Dell streak didnt sell to well, and it have phone capabilites. To me most people would rather get a 4.3 inch slab phone then a 7 inch tablet, not only cheaper on contract, more portable, but also most likely will have a 1 up with the ability to make calls. Though A 7 inch tablet that I believe HP is targeting (educational) would be a very good idea.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I just hope they don't limit the amount of devices your profile can be logged into. I will get a 10 inch touchpad and a Pre 3, but I can see myself caving a few months in and purchasing a 7 inch tab and would like to use them interchangeably.
    I'm sure there will be a limit but, it will only be there because they don't want to overload their servers. Its kida like iTunes authorization. You can only have 5 computers linked to it, but most people won't have over 5. The whole purpose behind the TouchPad would be looked over if you could only have 1 profile at a time.
    Another thing to look at is the fact that once you upgrade to 2.x it updates or changes you palm profile. This is probably to accommodate the new devices like the TouchPad so you can have multiple devices running on the same account.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I disagree, just looking at how well 10inch or so tablets have been selling for the past 1 or 2, and how well tablets like the galaxy tab has. The Galaxy tab has been stated to have a high return rate (even after samsung disputed the claim), and most people would prefer the extra realestate since they are both just as portable. Even the Dell streak didnt sell to well, and it have phone capabilites. To me most people would rather get a 4.3 inch slab phone then a 7 inch tablet, not only cheaper on contract, more portable, but also most likely will have a 1 up with the ability to make calls.
    10" has no horizontal extra screen realestate than 7" at 1024x600. This fact is very important, because it is whats important for web, PDF, email, and documents. a 4.3 inch phone won't be able to do that at all.

    iPad sold 10 million in a year, tab sold 2 million in 3 months, for a non-apple brand, its very good, IMHO. (return rate is 3%, normal, I don't listen to the lies spreading and hyped by apple ******* and Steve Jobs' on stage lying performance was extra appalling).

    there is no way 10" is as portable as 7", 7"er can fit a sports coat pocket, can be held in one hand while other hand can be for coffee, writing, food, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    The reason I would disagree with you is that a tablet is supposed to resemble a piece of paper. Its all about the functionality that extra real estate offers. A seven inch tablet is too small I think.... Not much bigger than a phone these days, which makes it hard to justify spending such big amounts of money on a tablet. A 9.7 inch tablet is perfect. Not too big, not too small and extremely portable. Sure, you can't put it in your pocket, but it's very portable.
    the most important difference between a large phone and the 7" tab, nowadays, is the resolution. the 7" tab at 1024x600 can perfectly display full web, PDF, email and documents while a large phone can't.

    10" is not perfect, it has the similar portability as a 10"-11" notebook, with far fewer functions.

    I believe you guys really should play with the galaxy tab (the only decent, available 7" tab so far) for a bit, many people just simply assume its just a bigger phone, but the resolution, the form factor, the portability, its really great, put your hands on it and you will have a whole new idea.

    Last edited by clevin; 03/14/2011 at 07:39 PM.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I have a 7" galaxy tab, PDF and web are great on horizontal. 10" is not really that much better on vertical mode anyway.

    If the rumor is true, that 10" starting price is $500, 7" will be around $400, I think its a good price point.
    Good pricing, competitive with iPad and iPad 2.
  14. #14  
    I totally agree with the 7" deal. I personally want something I can sit down with though. Most people out there will probably choose portability over a little bigger screen though.

    And I am all about choice! To have a big and a small tablet would be golden
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  15. #15  
    Need to chime in here. I've used an iPad, a Galaxy Tab, and an HP Slate 500.
    IMHO:
    9.7" FruitPad - too big
    7" Galaxy Tab - too small
    8.7" HP Slate 500 - Absolutely the perfect size. When will the manufacturers realize this?
    It runs both 1024 x 768 and 1024 x 600 resolutions. (1024 x768 looks odd, but is available for those apps needing it).

    I'm almost resigned to initially running the webOS PC browser version on my Win 7 HP Slate 500 (if I can remain patient) rather than plunk down the cash for a TouchPad.

    TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I believe Opal is a more promising product and HP should accelerate it by a few months.

    1. at 1024x600, its screen is sufficient for most web browsing and is not much worse than Touchpad's 1024x768@10". Horizontally, they are about the same, vertically, they both need zooming.

    2. much improved portability, the fact is a 10"er needs two hands to hold, or a table to be put on, and cannot be put into any pocket.

    3. less crowded market, only real competitor is samsung and blackberry, and samsung is apparently leaving this block of market.
    honestly, I don't see any of those things as reasons to enough people would buy a tablet with this opal operating system over some other one. I don't know anything about it but if those are the only reasons i can't see them alone as swaying many people.
  17. #17  
    I'd rather get the 7" tablet, but if the specs are much lower (like the Pixi compared to the Pre), then no thanks.
  18. giggles's Avatar
    Posts
    677 Posts
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    #18  
    No if people by tablets these days they want them for adequet screen real estate. Opal would be better with If could be used as a phone.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    No if people by tablets these days they want them for adequet screen real estate. Opal would be better with If could be used as a phone.
    I think a person would be able transfer calls & SMS messages from an existing webOS phone to the Opal just like the TouchPad. But if you want it as a stand-alone device, I think 7" is going overboard for a phone.
  20. #20  
    As I said previously, unfortunately for my wallet I can see myself picking up both. I see the TouchPad as the perfect substitution for my laptop. I have a desktop at work and I can use the TouchPad throughout the building, and then at home on my couch or in the yard. I can also see myself using the 'Opal' while on the bus or when I'm out in the city. The 'one handed' operation lends itself to those situations better than the larger devices.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions