1.    #1  
    Occurred to me that as well as doing pc's with webos..why not do a tablet that has webos and then windows 7 as an option.

I don't know how well windows 7 functions on a tablet personally, but I think a tablet like that would be great if it worked well, and had some good docks that allowed keyboard+mouse support essentially turning it into a win7 netbook when docked.
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    Occurred to me that as well as doing pc's with webos..why not do a tablet that has webos and then windows 7 as an option.

I don't know how well windows 7 functions on a tablet personally, but I think a tablet like that would be great if it worked well, and had some good docks that allowed keyboard+mouse support essentially turning it into a win7 netbook when docked.
    Slate is dead. Contractual obligations met, it now lies in the deep archives at HP. The next time Windows it released to a tablet is whenever M$ gives it another go with Windows 8 TE.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I like windows 7 but on a touch device? Pass.

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I like windows 7 but on a touch device? Pass.

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk
    well from videos it seems to work on the slate, but like I said as soon as you dock it, it would basically become a netbook/laptop
    IMO, Windows on a tablet is as bad an idea as Mac OS on a tablet. But the bigger reason why they shouldn't do it is because it would cost them time and resources that they need to focus on WebOS.

If WebOS is going to be a primary business, they can't run it like a side project. They also can't afford to mix their marketing message. Who would you want to sell a W7 tablet to that you wouldn't rather sell a TP?
    I've got a tablet PC with w7 and multitouch. Without the keyboard, I would get rid of it! The most annoying thing about a touchscreen on Windows is that lots of elements are small and hard to hit accurately.

Combine what we enjoy so much about webOS with a Windows version tailored for a touch device (w8) and I will be very interested. It would be the best of the worlds I need and desire. - One less device to lug around.
    Nothing about Windows 7 is "finger friendly". There are severe usability issues with a "desktop" OS on a mobile device. Clickable targets are too small. Nested menus don't work well in this form factor. You don't have mouse-over events. The list goes on and on. It's a bad idea.
    Yes...but that is simply because it will allow them to sell 12x more units for people who still think Windows is the end all be all for computing.

Windows 7 Embedded looks like it may be a great option interface and slimmed down wise. May workout pretty well and I'd use it. Big problem though is the fact that webOS has no native x86 compatibility. I guess two (2) processors could fix this, one for webOS and one for Windows 7, but this would certainly crank the price upwards. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post

Nope.
    Nooooo!!! That would be my nightmare
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I don't think there is any benefit to having windows 7 on a tablet. One nobody seems to be asking for it. Second, windows tablets in general have not sold well. I think HP would benefit more by focusing on some of the proven things that sell tablets along with trying to innovate new things, And last, they'd have to pay a license for it i'm sure which cuts into their bottom line when they are already (if rumors are to be believed) going to be up against it when it comes to price.
    I would like to see some dual-core multi-boot devices.
    Right now I use a Macbook Pro, and I run Windows in Parallels.
    I'm sure it's still down the road some, but having the ability to run a Vitual Machine on one of these TouchPads/iPads is what I'm really looking forward to.
    Just call me Berd.
    I can see the advantages of w W7 slate along with webos, There are countless reasons why I want windows 7 on a slate but at the moment its not ready and really I do not know whats taking MS so long.

Expand the concept of the task bar at the bottom, make it touch friendly, home button that makes the alt tab view come up, new keyboard. I just dont hope that Windows 8 is designed solely for touch
    actually a good idea.

whats the advantage of a tablet? portability
    whats the disadvantages of webOS, iOS, android? they cannot do nearly as much as a windows can do.

for touchpad that is less portable at 10', the advantages are even less obvious, so why not combine webOS and win7 on it?
    As said, mixing Windows and webOS is a viable idea - at least for some people. The problem is w7's unsuitability on a touch device. That is something Windows 8 possibly/supposedly could rectify - at least to some degree, but for now it is a bad idea to put a standard w7 version on a tablet.
    I would actually be found of the idea. I have a friend that owns HP's newest windows slate and i could just imagine how nice it would be to have the dual boot ability.

Or what if they simply left a separate partition/HD for the user to install their own OS of choice to dual boot. I know its far fetched and would most likely cause problems but it would be cool for nerds like me. :P
    just get a laptop next year that should have this.

Are people seeing tablets completely replace the laptop or home pc? I see it as a nice, light device for some specific uses - not a rip and replace of existing computers.
    i say no... focus on webos only
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Windows 7 is a failure on a tablet. So WebOS ONLY.
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    I have a Win 7 HP Slate 500 - It functions decently as a touch tablet. HP took great lengths to overcome the Windows finger touch issues and really came out with a nice product. No it's not perfect and smooth like webOS would be, but it is not bad. They added N-Trig making pinpoint stylus use effortless for drawing and note taking.
    I'm actually wishing I could get a browser version of webOS to play with on it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.