Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    One of the newer youtube videos, (and I have watched EVERY one of the touchpad) features an interview with Manuel Linning, who seems more than just a presenter of the touchpad

Edit: here is the website where Manuel's contact info and position can be found:

HP - United States | HP CONTACT

PSG
    Jimmy Johnson (PSG AR Manager)
    408 447 4176 | Send a message

Manuel Linning (EMEA AR Lead)
    Send a message

Dont know what PSG is...

Anyway, he is quoted saying a few new things.. maybe we can all contact him to confirm it :P

1) A 5 mega-pixel front facing camera @ 3:16

2) A Mid-Summer Launch (I guess it means july) @ 4:15

3) 64GB option for storage @ 3:09

(though he also said 34GB which maybe discredits everything he says... cuz uhhh 34GB do not exist)

You can find the video here:

and so it begins......
    Last edited by Vyruz Reaper; 03/12/2011 at 01:33 AM.
    Nice find....just wish mid summer was last week.
    Is this guy not informed well or did they change the front camera? It was 1.3 mp on feb 7!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    Is this guy not informed well or did they change the front camera? It was 1.3 mp on feb 7!
    They could have possibly changed it, or are going to change it. Otherwise the guy kinda screwed up
    A front facing 5mp would be really quite nice, and wouldnt surprise me in the slightest. The only tablet that can do HD video chat! That would be a great marketing tag. Stick the HD phrase infront of anything and people go loopy.
    A 5 mp front facing camera would be too much. 1 mp is fine, but tell me how you will make pictures with the touchscreen not facing you? Thus the only use for the camera is video chat and I really don't think you need 5 mp for that!
    TTS is how you will take pictures with it. I don't want to hold a 10in device to take pics, but video chat is a different story. I'd rather have 5mp than 1.3mp, HD video chat here we come.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    2) A Mid-Summer Launch (I guess it means july) @ 4:15
    On my calendar, mid-summer is the first couple weeks weeks in August.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    On my calendar, mid-summer is the first couple weeks weeks in August.
    Kupe-

If you want to get technical, "mid-summer" it would be the period of July 21 to August 21, since that is the middle 1/3rd of the June 21 - September 21 summer season.

But, arent we just splitting hairs here?

Oy..

I'm sure it will be in the market as soon as they can have it ready.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    But, arent we just splitting hairs here?
    Why yes we are. Does this mean you lowered your self to my level?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Why yes we are. Does this mean you lowered your self to my level?
    (giggling)..

Nope, just identifying it "from above" and then clearly labelling it with a proper definition..

(sorry, you opened the door really wide on that... and I just had to... forgive me, ok?)

No back camera because the iPad they were copying had no back camera. They both missed the importance of a back camera and the fact that it's not all about point-and-shoot.

There is document scanning, group chatting, barcode scanning, etc. that becomes awkward if you have to turn the tablet's screen to the target.

Also, a 5MP front facing came is fine but is more in the "wrong place to up spec things" column for me. I'm not going to turn the tablet around to take pictures and I'm not sure 5MP wouldn't be compressed out of a video stream. However, for those who are making videos (podcast-like) for upload later, maybe? Anyone know what other good uses there are for a high MP front cam?
    sure it would be a small market, but i know a vision impaired guy who uses a galaxy to take photos of street signs, so he can zoom in on the pic and read the sign, he also makes use of the TTS a lot, for internet searches. Way way cheaper to buy a capable consumer device than to buy a made for vision impaired device.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    sure it would be a small market, but i know a vision impaired guy who uses a galaxy to take photos of street signs, so he can zoom in on the pic and read the sign, he also makes use of the TTS a lot, for internet searches. Way way cheaper to buy a capable consumer device than to buy a made for vision impaired device.
    Imagine looking at those street signs in a foreign country (or looking at documents in a foreign language) with something like this:

The guy in the video saying "you wouldn't want to hold your tablet like this..." is being just as short sighted as Apple was with the first iPad when it comes to the value of a back cam.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    No back camera because the iPad they were copying had no back camera. They both missed the importance of a back camera and the fact that it's not all about point-and-shoot.

There is document scanning, group chatting, barcode scanning, etc. that becomes awkward if you have to turn the tablet's screen to the target.

Also, a 5MP front facing came is fine but is more in the "wrong place to up spec things" column for me. I'm not going to turn the tablet around to take pictures and I'm not sure 5MP wouldn't be compressed out of a video stream. However, for those who are making videos (podcast-like) for upload later, maybe? Anyone know what other good uses there are for a high MP front cam?
    I thought they would rather you use your phone for that while BTd to the tablet (if apps ever come out for that) but now that I mention it, that sounds preposterous
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    I thought they would rather you use your phone for that while BTd to the tablet (if apps ever come out for that) but now that I mention it, that sounds preposterous
    I think ecosystems are good but why force me to use a phone to do something that I need to do on my tablet? So if I want to scan a check for deposit I need to go get my phone? If a doctor serving a patient needs to scan the barcode of a prescription she needs to reah for her phone? If I'm using my tablet to do something, I'd rather continue on my tablet.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I understand that...

Thats why I am bringing up this video, as it states otherwise from someone that works at HP that is not just a demo guy.

Did anyone else contact Manuel to see if he was talking out of his ***** or they are planning to change the specs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Dont know what PSG is...
    PSG = Personal Systems Group in HP. I believe the PALM team is under this unit in HP, so is the notebook group, PC group, etc.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post

Uhh.. You don't have to turn the tablet around to take the pictures of the small items you want, you can bring the item to the front of the tablet.

Words lens has a bad rating last I saw. I've used it and it's ok. With rare moments where it'd be useful, does anyone still use word lens after playing around with it?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast