Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Let me preface this by saying I plan on buying 2 touchpads and 2 Pre3's as long as the touchpad comes in at a reasonable pricepoint (and the Pre3 comes to Sprint, yea, lots of assuming on my end).

However, all one really needs to do is watch how Serena Williams was handling and interacting with the TouchPad to know that it won't sell very well. I'm hoping it won't flop, and better yet hoping that I'm totally wrong, but HP has seriously dropped the ball with this product. Yes, I know it needs a ton of optimization, but that's not what people saw when it was presented. They saw a choppy, laggy, slower device.

All you need to do is look at how Serena was trying to quickly flip through pages in the Kindle app (like the iPad 2 was doing). HP should have never debuted the TouchPad until it had a core bunch of apps that were fully optimized and ready to show.

I think your average consumer will look at iPad 2 review videos, then look at Touchpad videos and will go buy an iPad. They won't be informed enough to understand the differences in Apple's "Multitasking" and other deficiencies and will be happy with their purchase, not even knowing what they're missing. I tend to think most of these people will end up being Apple users for life.

Here's to hoping I'm completely clueless.
    Last edited by WindyCityPre; 03/11/2011 at 04:32 PM.
    Hmmn, if I were HP and in this situation, I would perhaps release it in June or later in the summer so my team could spend some time optimizing it and getting some solid apps , maybe I would show it in Feb/Mar for marketing purposes to get some buzz and give my account reps and dev team something to talk about to customers and devs but I would not let too many people handle it.
  3.    #3  
    Yea, they definitely need to do something, that's for sure. Going forward, if they just end up announcing a price a month before it goes on sale and strings together a few typical ads, then I don't think this thing has a chance.
    I sea what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Hmmn, if I were HP and in this situation, I would perhaps release it in June or later in the summer so my team could spend some time optimizing it and getting some solid apps , maybe I would show it in Feb/Mar for marketing purposes to get some buzz and give my account reps and dev team something to talk about to customers and devs but I would not let too many people handle it.
    What I saw is that she was trying to search for something on a website, but the keyboard didn't popup (which is lame) and she was told that it didn't work yet. That right there kind of made her feel like ***? Then, what's up with showing a flight simulator that is incredibly hard to operate. All I hear in this video is, "It is hard... Oh yeah it is hard.." Come on HP Palm if you are gonna demo something for the touchpad make sure it is something that makes people feel good about it, not something that frustrates them. About lag, I don't see much of it, but then this device hasn't been optimized yet.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    Yea, they definitely need to do something, that's for sure. Going forward, if they just end up announcing a price a month before it goes on sale and strings together a few typical ads, then I don't think this thing has a chance.
    Windy,

I think bluenote was being sarcastic. His post is exactly what HP is doing.

Kevin
    Nokia 6185 > Sanyo SCP-5300 > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Pre> Franken Pre 2 > iPhone 4S
    (All Sprint)

I think your average consumer will look at iPad 2 review videos, then look at Touchpad videos and will go buy an iPad. They won't be informed enough to understand the differences in Apple's "Multitasking" and other deficiencies and will be happy with their purchase, not even knowing what they're missing. I tend to think most of these people will end up being Apple users for life.
    Well, to be honest, I doubt your average consumer will even look at videos.

They'll buy something based on what their friends told them, and what the sales person told them.

Unfortunately people don't actually research what they buy and put all their trust into what the sales person is telling them.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post
    Windy,

I think bluenote was being sarcastic. His post is exactly what HP is doing.

Kevin
    Haha...I see that. I briefly looked at it and I didn't quite understand which is why I added the "going forward" with my response.

The thing is, I know why they did what they did, especially considering how far behind they already were compared to when they started talking about this tablet. I just don't think they carried it out that well.

It just kinda hit me when I watched the video of her turning the kindle pages, her body language and expression kinda said: this thing sucks and I worry that the FIRST IMPRESSION is most important to consumers.

Going back to the average consumer; i don't think they understand optimization and the first impression is likely to stick. Am i wrong?
    I thought that she was rather clumsy, for an athlete - certainly not really paying attention to understanding it as she was just "making an appearance".

But, she is probably like the majority of consumers for a tablet...

I saw the speed issues as well.... I will repeat what I have said in other threads:

This will be ALL about speed, responsiveness and performance - iPad2 set a very, very high bar for everyone.

I can't fathom that HP would release a product that didnt match up well next to its prime competition - the 1.2 ghz snapdragon with GPU is just dying to be utilized on the TouchPad.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

All over 2009 again..
    The true 1st impression of demos for the masses/buyers will come once the thing is released.

Buyers will see commercials, post released demos/events and get to demo it once it hits the carriers, Best Buy, etc.

Did anyone notice the hickups in the video showing the new ipad 2 four months before it was due to release?

Point is, HP is giving controlled demos of their devices to be released, but when the final products are set to hit the market and folks like Precentral, engadget, etc have the REAL consumer ready device, then I think it will be fair to compare/contrast etc.

Like you and others here, I am ready for all the announced devices (Touchpad, Pre 3, Veer) to be released already.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post

Did anyone notice the hickups in the video showing the new ipad 2 four months before it was due to release?
    One of the differences is that there was no baseline. While tablets weren't new, these kind were so no one had expectations of its smoothness or anything. The closest comparisons were turning pages (because it could be compared to a Kindle, which was well known).

The expectations are set now, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I thought that she was rather clumsy, for an athlete - certainly not really paying attention to understanding it as she was just "making an appearance".

But, she is probably like the majority of consumers for a tablet...

I saw the speed issues as well.... I will repeat what I have said in other threads:

This will be ALL about speed, responsiveness and performance - iPad2 set a very, very high bar for everyone.

I can't fathom that HP would release a product that didnt match up well next to its prime competition - the 1.2 ghz snapdragon with GPU is just dying to be utilized on the TouchPad.
    The TPad was hot (like weeks prior) off the literal presses and has not yet had time to optimize. Anyone who works in s/w development can tell you the experience in an emulator\virtual machine\dev box is much different from a production box under load. HP's engineers will sort it out before June.

If you go back and look at the RIM Bite-book from October, you will see hiccups and lag that aren't present in current versions of the device. They've been tweaking it for those 5 months and now it's running 100% better...
    All you need to do is look at how Serena was trying to quickly flip through pages in the Kindle app (like the iPad 2 was doing). HP should have never debuted the TouchPad until it had a core bunch of apps that were fully optimized and ready to show.
    i think its a valid point. i looked at the kindle app on the ipad and on the touchpad demo and was struck buy just how slow it was, how much lag there was with the page turning, and how long it took to load not just that app but others. many have said, "it's a beta or an early build." Ok. maybe. My pre even overclocked has lag so even a launch product may not be perfect. I still agree with you that i'm not sure they should have showed that then. one app i saw took 5 seconds to load. I can see if you're using them in the same store like in best buy that would be quite striking. I noticed the same slowness in the xoom and think the problem applies to them.

it was notable to me that i see the same apps on every demo of the device, like that flying app, the kindle app, and the browser. i'm always stunned when they demo browsers. I know the browser is one of the most used apps but once you're in it every website is different and they don't always load quickly and it doesn't always give the best impression.

honestly i never saw the ipad until Jobs stood on stage and held it up. but i also don't remember evaluating it for lag as i didn't want a tablet.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 03/11/2011 at 05:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    One of the differences is that there was no baseline. While tablets weren't new, these kind were so no one had expectations of its smoothness or anything. The closest comparisons were turning pages (because it could be compared to a Kindle, which was well known).

The expectations are set now, though.
    Correct, expectations are set today and Apple still chose not to demo the ipad 2 four month prior to it being ready for primetime/release.

I know Apple has set the standards with the responsiveness/smoothness of its devices, but I am sure if its soon to be released devices are demoed live well before (4-6 months) being optimized, etc, for released there will be very visible hickups like we see with other devices.

Again, its a bit unfair to compare a market ready device (ipad 2) to a very pre-market ready demoed touchpad.
    Again, its a bit unfair to compare a market ready device (ipad 2) to a very pre-market ready demoed touchpad.
    maybe, but if the point of showing months in advance is to create attention you'd have to expect comparisons to competitors so they'd have to expect it. Thus, i you know there will be comparisons I'd have to question the wisdom of showing the device in an unfinished state. or at least i wouldn't be surprised about comments on speed or lag. time will tell if they fix it. i mean it was glaring to me so i can't believe it's gone unnoticed. But then again many things that i consider unacceptable at launch were in the launch pre.
    I'm glad this is all just opinions lol

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Correct, expectations are set today and Apple still chose not to demo the ipad 2 four month prior to it being ready for primetime/release.

I know Apple has set the standards with the responsiveness/smoothness of its devices, but I am sure if its soon to be released devices are demoed live well before (4-6 months) being optimized, etc, for released there will be very visible hickups like we see with other devices.

iOS 4.3 (which is what shipped on the iPad 2) has been released to developers for the past couple of months with no apparent issues.

It's the advantage of having an already-optimized OS.
    our concerns are justified, but in general, whole veer, pre3 and tuchpad presentations are intended to show HP's commitment to webOS, and that real products are in the pipeline. It's not a product push, it's just an info for anyone who still cares. I'm not happy to see how far devices are from final products, and launch. But, they are - at least Touchpad, months far from launch.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    The first iPad was demoed at the the announcement in January '10. It wasn't ready at the time and some features didn't work—other functions, like the lock/silent switch and the file sharing were later changed. However what Apple allowed the press to use that day was fast and fluid. I don't know if Apple designs first for speed when creating their software (before picking the features later) but Apple doesn't ever publicly show versions that lag iirc. The impression of lag lingers even when a product is later optimized for speed imo.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast