Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. DDT1345's Avatar
    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
       #1  
    Doing a Google Image Search for "TouchPad" proves that HP picked the worst name... do it and you'll see why.

    Doing a search for "iPad" produces drasticly different results.
    Nokia 6185 > Sanyo SCP-5300 > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Pre> Franken Pre 2 > iPhone 4S
    (All Sprint)
  2. #2  
    good point. But the reason why all the real 'touchpads' are on the top are because they have got more hits. Once the TouchPad has been out for a bit Google's algorithms will get more data to product better results. Google's algorithms are really messed up because the don't really produce the best results by their self. Instead, the reason why every good company is first is because they pay google money to be put on a list that results are drawn from. The TouchPad hasn't even been released yet so it won't be anywhere in the algorithms' sight.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  3. #3  
    While I agree with you, simply adding "HP" in front of touchpad to either the standard Google web search, news search, or images search completely fixes your problem. The only place it doesn't help is the shopping search, i assume only because the HP Touchpad is not yet for sale.

    Kinda elicits the "whatever" response from me, but I still wish they had named it PalmPad even with the trademark issue.
  4. DDT1345's Avatar
    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    While I agree with you, simply adding "HP" in front of touchpad to either the standard Google web search, news search, or images search completely fixes your problem. The only place it doesn't help is the shopping search, i assume only because the HP Touchpad is not yet for sale.

    Kinda elicits the "whatever" response from me, but I still wish they had named it PalmPad even with the trademark issue.
    "HP TouchPad" does produce better results, but the top results are still laptop touchpads.

    However, you don't have to search "Apple iPad" to get good results, you only have to search "iPad".

    I'm just expressing my frustration with the poor naming by creating a thread. "Whatever" responses are welcome.
    Nokia 6185 > Sanyo SCP-5300 > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Pre> Franken Pre 2 > iPhone 4S
    (All Sprint)
  5. DDT1345's Avatar
    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    good point. But the reason why all the real 'touchpads' are on the top are because they have got more hits. Once the TouchPad has been out for a bit Google's algorithms will get more data to product better results. Google's algorithms are really messed up because the don't really produce the best results by their self. Instead, the reason why every good company is first is because they pay google money to be put on a list that results are drawn from. The TouchPad hasn't even been released yet so it won't be anywhere in the algorithms' sight.
    Hello Rennat,

    My point really isn't about the TouchPad not showing up high in the results, my point is about HP picking a name that is already in use for something completely different. When people use the phrase "touch pad" they are referring to a laptop's touch pad. A "touch pad" is not an HP tablet computer. Hence, the poor name choice.

    I expect better from HP. They have nearly unlimite resources, they could have picked a better name.

    Kevin
    Nokia 6185 > Sanyo SCP-5300 > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Pre> Franken Pre 2 > iPhone 4S
    (All Sprint)
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post
    "HP TouchPad" does produce better results, but the top results are still laptop touchpads.

    However, you don't have to search "Apple iPad" to get good results, you only have to search "iPad".

    I'm just expressing my frustration with the poor naming by creating a thread. "Whatever" responses are welcome.
    Sorry, I didn't mean the "whatever" response as not caring about your point, completely valid actually (which is why I agree that PalmPad would have been perfect). Rather that I don't think that the difference between an 'HP Touchpad' vs 'Touchpad' search will have a huge affect on anything.

    Wouldn't even be a question with Palmpad. As a matter of fact, if you google palmpad right now, it returns results that are all about the Touchpad, just before it's name was released. I'm kinda thinking that they may still call a 7" tablet a PalmPad because it's smaller and fits in your Palm.
  7. #7  
    iPad was a bad name at start.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ------------------------------------------------------
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
  8. #8  
    Ipad came out last year, when googled you would get a sketch from Mad TV about a feminine hygiene/iPod product. Give it time to make some noise.
  9. #9  
    Exactly, you cant expect something that's only had pictures of it available for one month to rank high in google search. Crazy people.
  10. DDT1345's Avatar
    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mperkinsky View Post
    Exactly, you cant expect something that's only had pictures of it available for one month to rank high in google search. Crazy people.
    As I said in a previous post, it is not about the rank of the pictures, it's about what comes up. TouchPad means something else already, the "mouse alternative" pad on a laptop is very frequently called a "touch pad" (or track pad). That is why the name is bad, not because it doesn't rank high.
    Nokia 6185 > Sanyo SCP-5300 > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Pre> Franken Pre 2 > iPhone 4S
    (All Sprint)
  11. #11  
    I don't know why HP didn't explain to the trademark people in words of one sylable that; "Yes, the name PalmPad was associated with that Palm company, but duh!, we own them now!"
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I don't know why HP didn't explain to the trademark people in words of one sylable that; "Yes, the name PalmPad was associated with that Palm company, but duh!, we own them now!"
    I bet they decided they wanted to cut with the Palm brand anyways so better to not keep using Palm in the name.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkozaine View Post
    iPad was a bad name at start.
    i still think it's a bad name. Personally i'm not a fan of anything with pad in it but that's just me.
  14. #14  
    Although it is not the best name, it does make sense and tells you what it is in a simple word. It seriously could have been much worse. Like the other 2 names that were patented. TouchPad is still better than something like TouchSlate because it is a long pronunciation word that no one like to say. The name had to have the word Pad in it because the word knows the tablet market now as a pad market thanks to the iPad which opened it. An iSlate and a iPad are now 2 completely separate things.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne

Posting Permissions