1.    #1  
    Interesting discussion. The one guy is almost too much pro touchpad even.

WebOS > Android?

apps don't Matter?

Technobuffalo Good to Go #2 :WebOS's Future with HP
    Last edited by IcerC; 03/10/2011 at 11:08 PM.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    James from Zdnet Mobile News said the internal HP apps competition produced 5,000 apps. Have we seen any of these?

The tech blogger world is really longing for an ipad competitor. HP has their hopes, if they do not deliver, many will be disappointed. It seems like it is in Kerris's hands to manage the internal software developer team at Palm. A few of those guys came from this community and they are great, I know they are working very very hard and I hope it works.

edit: Noah ends with "HP You've heard it", I hope they have.
    Last edited by bluenote; 03/10/2011 at 11:14 PM.
    we haven't seen any of the internal apps from the competition. I guessed they would be released all at once with touchpad and pre3 to let everyone know all at once that we now have over 10,000 apps available and growing
    That would be very smart if they could get the good partnerships lined up and also the internal apps were good, it would get everyone's attention and lift the spirits of outside developers, it might make the difference between a successful and unsuccessful launch.

I believe Palm is burning the midnight oil, hope it pays off.
    James said he was talking to HP, do you think he got his numbers mixed up with the 5K currently in the catalogue?

Another explanation: perhaps they are rewriting them in Enyo and testing them internally?

Probably a waste of time to speculate, we'll just have to wait a few months and see.
    good catch. The comment at the bottom of the page about mostly being simple apps is even more telling.
    I go back to thinking its about Kerris and the Palm internal staff, I know they are working really hard and have some good talent. I believe the hardware is ready or close to it and the delay is to give a few months for the software to optimize.

We'll just have to see, no point in wasting time to speculate, in a few months we'll have the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Interesting discussion. The one guy is almost too much pro touchpad even.

WebOS > Android?

apps don't Matter?

Technobuffalo Good to Go #2 :WebOS's Future with HP
    I didn't hear it this way. He just seems pretty excited about the potiental of WebOS on a tablet. I think he is on to something with the day 1 experience stuff. It's too bad the iPad has such a head start and people will be used it to becuase WebOS is such an easier environment to get around - especially for the everyday user.
    No one has ever said WebOS can't compete with android or IOS.I just don't like that ppl are always bad mouthing it like it is.Mostly ppl who are not tech savvy.They are the ones that follows fads and trends.He said it best about WebOS being a true competitor to IOS and the products that runs the "-.
    Good show. I follow TechnoBuffalo (john4lakers) as he is pretty detailed reviewing products and gives them all a far shot. He does lean a bit to the fruity side but he's one of many I watch from time to time. This new guy "Noah" has been running a lot of the shows recently and he's off to a good start.

The main thing about the "app battle" is that Apple will never release a feed so you can actually see whats really there. Browsing through crapTunes though you can easily see 100's of "duped" apps for just about every category you search. Companies like Brighthouse Labs and Appbookshop have 1000's of "dupe\crap" apps in the catalog and there are many other companies like them.

As an example, there are like a billion weather apps on iOS and though we have all the major ones (TWC, Accuweather, etc) the fact that we don't have the other 40 or 50 is that many apps less that we don't have. Android allows wallpaper and themes in the market which further drives up their numbers. If HP allowed Preware, patches, themes, etc, we'd be over 10K as it... Seriously though, Noah needs a damn mic, I could barely hear what he was saying!
    Hmm...I thought it brought some interesting and outside insight that I've received otherwise from large groups like Engadget and Josh.

He references 5000 apps and I suspect there is a huge push inside HP to develop the majority of their bread and butter apps in-house and extend themselves and their offerings sooner then later.

I also find the comments about Honeycomb to be spot on. Nothing comes close to what webOS and IOS is offering besides maybe the Playbook and that even feels SLAPPED together like the Honeycomb. Don't get me wrong, Honeycomb will probably get polished and fine-tuned into something worth using, but from what I've seen...it ain't there yet.

Palm needs "out-of-the-box" as they said in the video that provides experiences that include a enhanced Facebook app...which we know their making and enhancing what was done on webOS smartphones. The photo app looks great and an enhanced video app also needs to happen to compete directly with iMovie now offered on the iPad 2. Get them out the door, make everything internal running SMOOTH as Silk, and you have a clear winner in the Touchpad. Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 03/11/2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling corrections...
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    Good video. Nice to hear some more good things. I always loved Noah's reviews on phonedog and was pretty bummed when he left, so I'm happy to see him now on Technobuffalo.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I simply can't imagine holding 5000 apps in limbo for all this time. Developers are always chomping at the bit to get their app into the catalog ASAP. If nothing else so that new versions can be created based on user feedback.
    These aren't developers dying to make money. These are employees who were given incentive to create apps. I'd bet money HP is holding a bunch of these apps to launch with the Pre3 and/or TouchPad. Further evidence of this would be the fact that HP stated they expect to have an app count in the "low tens of thousands" by the time the Pre3 is released. Where are they all of a sudden going to get all these apps? They have them already, they're going to release them with a bang.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    These aren't developers dying to make money. These are employees who were given incentive to create apps. I'd bet money HP is holding a bunch of these apps to launch with the Pre3 and/or TouchPad.
    Err, see post 7 above with the tweet from McKinney. And the go back to the Precentral article on this, scroll down to the comments at the bottom of the page and read the one by the "HP employee".
    They have apps on tap. I'm going to bump this thread when the Pre3 is released and you can all thank me for gazing into my crystal ball ;]
    "low tens of thousands of apps"
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Err, see post 7 above with the tweet from McKinney. And the go back to the Precentral article on this, scroll down to the comments at the bottom of the page and read the one by the "HP employee".
    It's a nice thought, but like I said, they expect "low tens of thousands" by the time the Pre3 is released. They either have to get around 4,000 apps in a few short months or they have to release all the ones they are holding.