1.    #1  
    The TouchPad will come with a Cypress Touch Panel as posted on precentral front page TouchPad pops up in Vietnam, has SIM tray [video] | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community. If it is the final version and not a prototype. However If that is true I thought would be interesting to know a little about it.

The Cypress Technology has improved the sensors to respond to your fingers even before you tab on the screen as you can watch on the Cypress True Touch Hover detection video:

Besides Cypress has made a tremendous work , making a 10 finger detection . On the video demo below you can watch how you can manage 3 photos on an independent way. Although is a Microsoft software technology that is making that happen , it is important to know what this Cypress touch panel might bring to work with webOS.

Cypress TrueTouch Large Screen

If that does come with it that will be a great feature.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    I wonder why HP didn't announce this capability at their 9 Feb announcement (or since then)?
    The hover detection is not terribly realistic or practical to me. Did you see how close the finger had to be? Have you tried consistently holding your finger 1/8" off the surface of the screen? I can see it being useful on a larger screen...for instance, allowing the user to control the stroke opacity or width in a painting application...or adding a new level of control to image or 3D model manipulation. But on a phone, it wouldn't be so easy.
    I'm maybe wrong, if I remember well, Pre have same hover detection capability, not utilized at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    The hover detection is not terribly realistic or practical to me. Did you see how close the finger had to be? Have you tried consistently holding your finger 1/8" off the surface of the screen? I can see it being useful on a larger screen...for instance, allowing the user to control the stroke opacity or width in a painting application...or adding a new level of control to image or 3D model manipulation. But on a phone, it wouldn't be so easy.
    Actually...

This MIGHT prove to be the missing link for Flash and javascript actions in their UI implementations for "rollovers".

With the current capacitive touch screen, there are no rollovers - if you touch the screen, its considered the same as a "button press" (button "down state", if you are a programmer), and then its all a matter of how long you keep your finger there for an execution or not...

But, with this "vicinity" capability, you can now re-implement that much more intuitive rollover functionality with the detection of the finger within the vicinity of a button, and then execute the button press when the finger actually touches the screen!

Rollovers can highlight buttons, expand menus into submenus, or initiate other actions which relate the to button or GUI element they are assigned to, without pressing the button to execute an action that would be its primary funcition.

I see this as something with huge potential, in that regard. Adobe should be VERY interested in how much this becomes adapted by the mainstream.. maybe even, potentially, become a stratigic investor in the company to help them grow the technology and marketting.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    The TouchPad isn't a phone.
    also, i don't think the hover has to be an alternative to an actual touch. Can't that just be a way to detect the touch a split second earlier and get the process started to bring more seemingly instantaneous response time?
  9.    #9  
    The TouchPad comes with two panels the Samsung display and the Cypress touchpanel as posted on TouchPad pops up in Vietnam, has SIM tray [video] | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

I think both together make the Display
    9.7-inch XGA capacitive, multitouch screen with a vibrant 18-bit color, 1024x768 resolution display
    Last edited by akitayo; 03/10/2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: more information
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    also, i don't think the hover has to be an alternative to an actual touch. Can't that just be a way to detect the touch a split second earlier and get the process started to bring more seemingly instantaneous response time?
    See my post above.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    See my post above.
    I did.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I think a combination touch / pen input panel would be more useful because it would usher in good note taking use that the ipad doesn't have.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Will the display be glass?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The TouchPad isn't a phone.
    yeah, i know...but the example used in the video was a phone-sized screen.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    Will the display be glass?
    I think so
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/