Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So does anyone know what codecs/file formats the touch pad will support?
    ------------------------------------------------------
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    no but personally hoping for avi, flac and raw. Those are my three big ones that I need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkozaine View Post
    So does anyone know what codecs/file formats the touch pad will support?
    From the HP Touchpad Specs Page:
    Quote Originally Posted by HP
    Audio formats: DRM-free MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, QCELP, WAV
    Video formats: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264
    Still no Vorbis? Just about every Linux distro supports it out of the box. I wonder if they went out of their way to remove it.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskate View Post
    Still no Vorbis? Just about every Linux distro supports it out of the box. I wonder if they went out of their way to remove it.
    Vorbis requires more than just audio decoding. It requires decoding of the tags as well, to be used in the music app. My guess is they were lazy and didn't see much demand.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    This is just me as a average music/audio consumer but why do you guys need these codecs? You cant be listening music that is in all of these hardly used codecs can you?
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    clearly they do if they want those codecs.
    i would really like codecs for .avi and .wmv
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    This I can understand. But just can see how anyone 'needs' codecs for vorbis.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    no but personally hoping for avi, flac and raw. Those are my three big ones that I need.
    RAW is unlikely to happen, since every manufacturer has his own standards

Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    wmv should be killed, together with flash. flac > all
    Hah! HP is touting it's commitment to "quality" audio, incorporating Beats, yet is apparently NOT offering (open source) FLAC support, which would be a HUGE competitive advantage over Apple. Doh!
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    Hah! HP is touting it's commitment to "quality" audio, incorporating Beats, yet is apparently NOT offering (open source) FLAC support, which would be a HUGE competitive advantage over Apple. Doh!
    Apple iPad already have several video players that support all sorts of video format. I am currently using avplayer and it can play any kind of video. And I used to play it on cinexplayer.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    wmv should be killed
    i agree but there are still alot of videos on the internet that stream and download in that format.
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    RAW is unlikely to happen, since every manufacturer has his own standards

wmv should be killed, together with flash. flac > all
    I know and it makes me sad. Though I have hope that camera makers will do what they do with PCs and make the codec themselves and then release it for the platform. Or if not I have faith in homebrew.

And get me VLC on the touchpad and I will be happy
    Hardware acceleration is the main issue/concern. That's generally why you see these new tablets only support H.264/MPEG-4. When you use software to decode these other formats it leads to laggy video and terrible battery life.

VLC on the iPad was just worthless if you tried to play any sort of HD content; video was choppy and it destroyed the battery life.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    This is just me as a average music/audio consumer but why do you guys need these codecs? You cant be listening music that is in all of these hardly used codecs can you?
    I don't need the codecs but I would love to have them. I would even pay for a codec pack from the app store if that would help get more. The audio I don't need that much but the video I really do want.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    (\__/)
    I wouldn't mind flac. I don't use it much now, but if it has Beats, I'd like to come out with the best possible quality. If it's incorporated into Music (Remix) for the TP, that would be just fine too.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    I wouldn't mind flac. I don't use it much now, but if it has Beats, I'd like to come out with the best possible quality. If it's incorporated into Music (Remix) for the TP, that would be just fine too.
    I would have to agree with you there. I don't have much music that is in flac format but if the touchpad had the ability to use it might have more music that uses flac in the future.
    (\__/)
    Most serious audiophiles (or wannabes) are ripping (or downloading) their music exclusively in FLAC format (lossless, open-source, widely supported). My entire music collection is in FLAC, and it's a royal pain to have to convert tracks to (compressed) mp3 format just to be able to play them on my Pre (actually streaming via bluetooth to my car stereo). Supporting FLAC would be a HUGE leap for HP/Palm over Apple, and if they can't see the logic of doing so, it bodes very poorly for HP's marketing savvy and WebOS' future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkozaine View Post
    I would have to agree with you there. I don't have much music that is in flac format but if the touchpad had the ability to use it might have more music that uses flac in the future.
    Definitely. A lot of artists that I listen to have begun releasing their albums/mixtapes/LPs on BandCamp where you have that option. I'd like to increase my flac collection in the future!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast