Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    Most serious audiophiles (or wannabes) are ripping (or downloading) their music exclusively in FLAC format (lossless, open-source, widely supported). My entire music collection is in FLAC, and it's a royal pain to have to convert tracks to (compressed) mp3 format just to be able to play them on my Pre (actually streaming via bluetooth to my car stereo). Supporting FLAC would be a HUGE leap for HP/Palm over Apple, and if they can't see the logic of doing so, it bodes very poorly for HP's marketing savvy and WebOS' future.
    It would be a huge leap, but I think the issue at hand is space. FLAC encoded music is huge and the Pre3 and touchpad only have so much space. I wish they had some sort of memory card option to expand on the storage so if they did support FLAC i would run out of space as fast.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    True. Memory storage is definitely the limiting factor, and 32 GB is not ideal. However, if the TouchPad has stereo speakers which sound fairly decent (big IF), I would just swap in/out my favorite FLAC tracks. I presume the next-gen TouchPad will offer an SD memory slot, so HP/Palm ought to be setting the stage NOW to provide higher fidelity than Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Malkozaine View Post
    It would be a huge leap, but I think the issue at hand is space. FLAC encoded music is huge and the Pre3 and touchpad only have so much space. I wish they had some sort of memory card option to expand on the storage so if they did support FLAC i would run out of space as fast.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Could I ask why you presume that its going to have an SD memory card?

Every webOS device thus far hasn't used an SD card, and we don't even have any knowledge that the OS has the capability to handle such things. I would imagine it'd be a better bet to state the next gen touchpad is likely to have increased storage potential rather than an SD card.

I do think that supporting a better quality audio file to take advantage of their supposedly better speakers would be a smart move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Could I ask why you presume that its going to have an SD memory card?...I would imagine it'd be a better bet to state the next gen touchpad is likely to have increased storage potential rather than an SD card...
    You're right! Just an (optimistic) presumption on my part! Of course, since HP is touting their future "cloud storage" for enterprise and personal use, that would be an even better option for accessing music, video, documents, etc (if their pricing is competitive).
  5.    #25  
    I would also like to see the option for not just more encoders/decoder codecs but more support for other container types like MKV, OGG, ETC. I think MKV is open source but i might be wrong, but still I wouldn't mind if the touchpad could support it. I would even pay a couple dollars if Palm/HP realsed a codec pack in the app Store just to get them.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    A lot of you are confusing container formats with codecs. AVI, MKV, and OGG are not codecs, they are container formats. There could be any number of different codecs contained within each of those files. Usually OGG is Theora for video and Vorbis for audio, but it could be anything. As far as AVI and MKV are concerned, there are literally thousands of different codecs that could be inside those files. It isn't as easy as "adding AVI support," because that means adding thousands of codecs. This is why these formats aren't easily supported on portable devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    Most serious audiophiles (or wannabes) are ripping (or downloading) their music exclusively in FLAC format (lossless, open-source, widely supported). My entire music collection is in FLAC, and it's a royal pain to have to convert tracks to (compressed) mp3 format just to be able to play them on my Pre (actually streaming via bluetooth to my car stereo). Supporting FLAC would be a HUGE leap for HP/Palm over Apple, and if they can't see the logic of doing so, it bodes very poorly for HP's marketing savvy and WebOS' future.
    Wait, you're wanting FLAC support but streaming via bluetooth?? Personally, when I recently got my BT all set up, I noticed quite a drop in sound quality. I know I'm going over a tape adapter, but it sounded quite good when being directly input through there, with my stock Bose system. Do you notice any quality drop? What kind of setup are you using?

(sorry, not trying to steer this discussion off course )
    to revive an old thread - any chance of better codec support / vlc port for video? (xvid/ divx etc.)
    FFMPEG 0.6 for the HP TouchPad running webOS 3.0.2

Code:
    root@HPTouchPad:/# ffmpeg -formats
    FFmpeg version UNKNOWN, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
      configuration: --arch=arm --target-os=linux --cross-prefix=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- --enable-cross-compile --prefix=/usr --cpu=cortex-a8 --extra-cflags='-mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp' --disable-bsfs --disable-decoders --disable-demuxers --disable-devices --disable-encoders --disable-ffplay --disable-ffserver --disable-indevs --disable-muxers --disable-network --disable-outdevs --disable-parsers --disable-protocols --disable-debug --disable-yasm --enable-pthreads --enable-shared --enable-hardcoded-tables --enable-version3 --enable-demuxer=wav --disable-postproc --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-nonfree --enable-libfaac --enable-decoder=aac --enable-decoder=h264 --enable-decoder=h263 --enable-decoder=mpeg4 --enable-decoder=alac --enable-decoder=qcelp --enable-decoder=mp3 --enable-decoder=libopencore_amrnb --enable-demuxer=mp3 --enable-demuxer=mov --enable-demuxer=aac --enable-demuxer=amr --enable-muxer=mp4 --enable-muxer=tgp --enable-muxer=tg2 --enable-muxer=mov --enable-muxer=amr --enable-encoder=h263 --enable-encoder=mpeg4 --enable-encoder=libfaac --enable-encoder=libopencore_amrnb --enable-parser=mpegaudio --enable-decoder=vorbis --enable-demuxer=ogg --enable-parser=aac --enable-protocol=file
      libavutil    50. 40. 0 / 50. 40. 0
      libavcodec   52.116. 0 / 52.116. 0
      libavformat  52.104. 0 / 52.104. 0
      libavdevice  52.  4. 0 / 52.  4. 0
      libavfilter   1. 76. 0 /  1. 76. 0
      libswscale    0. 13. 0 /  0. 13. 0
    File formats:
     D. = Demuxing supported
     .E = Muxing supported
     --
      E 3g2             3GP2 format
      E 3gp             3GP format
     D  aac             raw ADTS AAC
     DE amr             3GPP AMR file format
      E mov             MOV format
     D  mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 QuickTime/MPEG-4/Motion JPEG 2000 format
     D  mp3             MPEG audio layer 2/3
      E mp4             MP4 format
     D  ogg             Ogg
     D  wav             WAV format

Codecs:
     D..... = Decoding supported
     .E.... = Encoding supported
     ..V... = Video codec
     ..A... = Audio codec
     ..S... = Subtitle codec
     ...S.. = Supports draw_horiz_band
     ....D. = Supports direct rendering method 1
     .....T = Supports weird frame truncation
     ------
     D A    aac             Advanced Audio Coding
     D A    alac            ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec)
     DEVSDT h263            H.263 / H.263-1996
     D V D  h264            H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10
      EA    libfaac         libfaac AAC (Advanced Audio Codec)
     DEA    libopencore_amrnb OpenCORE Adaptive Multi-Rate (AMR) Narrow-Band
     D A    mp3             MP3 (MPEG audio layer 3)
     DEVSDT mpeg4           MPEG-4 part 2
     D A    qcelp           QCELP / PureVoice
     D A    vorbis          Vorbis
    Last edited by IICODECll; 08/23/2011 at 12:04 AM. Reason: ffmpeg -codecs
    Is ffmpeg 0.6 installed by default? Or can you point to a guide to install?
    Does this imply that, if we recompiled ffmpeg with more containers/codecs, the built-in video player would pick it up?
    AudiophileHD supports all the audio formats you mentioned, including FLAC, and runs FFmpeg on the backend.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12