View Poll Results: How do you use your gadgets with a tablet?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tablet as an extension of my computer

9 27.27%
  • Tablet as a bigger version of my mobile phone

5 15.15%
  • Phone, Tablet and computer have to have seamless integration

14 42.42%
  • Phone, tablet and computer have different uses each

5 15.15%
  1.    #1  
    I just want to hear the consensus of precentral peeps regarding their gadget use, now that a tablet is in the mix.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Computer. I mean it's cool that I can text and receive calls on it, but I need PC-like functions on my tablet. I can say they need seamless integration, but without developers that'll never happen.

It'd be awesome to be working on a MS Office document on my computer, and switch it to my Pre through(dropbox?) a cloud service and pick up where I left off. I know that's going to happen soon, but it seems like everything is coming soon...and never does.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Eventually, tablets will replace the classic Personal Computer. They need to expand their uses to better word processing and editing. But the first problem that comes up when I think of a tablet future is how the apps and OS on the thing will be made. This will be a hard fix for both Apple and Android to over come. However, HP has set themselves up for this problem with Ares. I can see in the near future apps being developed through the web using Ares on a TouchPad predecessor. And HP has told us that they are providing the developers the same exact tools they use to create WebOS and the core apps. I can see my iMac being replaced with a bluetooth keyboard and touchstone dock. The only thing people use the desktop for are word processing, web, and editing videos and such. Once tablets can do this will be no practical reason for it to stick around other than someones comfort zone.
    Last edited by Rennat; 03/10/2011 at 06:29 PM.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I think of them as a bridge between the two. For when your phone is too small to consume content on, and you don't feel like firing up your PC...
    Honestly, I grab my pre to do more things than my pc, it's just easier, especially since I don't have to load the browser to search google or imbd . Not to mention because of classic I can actually get a ton of work done.....if the tp has document editing it's gold ad far as I'm concerned, if it doesn't well then @ least the ipad is cheap now and has a great battery

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm prē-ist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I think of them as a bridge between the two. For when your phone is too small to consume content on, and you don't feel like firing up your PC...
    I was just about to just hit reply without reading all the posts and say virtually the same thing; glad I decided to read.

I voted for extension of PC, but I think it's definitely a bridge between the two. Integration is important, but everything doesn't have to be integrated. (Not yet anyway)
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the posts guys!

I like HP's Idea of when you are out you get your phone and when you are in your house you get your touchpad. I really like that integration. But I want HP to integrate their computers in that scenario too. That is why i am excited to see how HP is going to integrate Webos in their computers.

If it is software integration, will they allow its use on a non-windows PC? as with iTunes in a mac and PC?

I just want to make it clear... This thread is about how you use them TODAY and not thinking of what use you have for them in the future.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    I think all of the three will coexist in my use case.

A typical day might look like this:
    Use the phone to make calls (o rly?) and check things quickly on the go (did you never use the time in or waiting for an elevator to check twitter?), whenever you have a longer break (getting a coffee at Starbucks, Costa or the like) use the Pad to read latest news, blog entries and longer texts and I will use the PC for my (frankly serious) gaming addiction as well as any case where I need moar jiggawatz (Matlab *sigh*).

Touch to share and other things might ease the integration of those three immensely.
    For me personally(just speaking for me), laptop replacement out of the house due to security reasons. And I will use it sometimes inside if I don't need to do anything heavy.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I agree that eventually the PC will just be the screen. Everything else is just input device, connection for peripherals and storage. If voice-recognition software were perfect, you wouldn't need a keyboard except where you needed silence. Brain-recognition is a ways off, so the keyboard is with us for awhile.

The PC satisfies the input need of certain situations, but soon tablets will work in most other use cases. In fact the Zaggmate case w/keyboard solves that now.

The phone will be the extension of the tablet, but also have functionality that a tablet won't. It will be the wallet, direction-finder, camera, music player that people need with them at ALL times. Everyone will have a phone, but not everyone will have a tablet. However, some will have multiple tablets (e.g. home automation), but will likely have only one phone each.
    For me: It's an extension of both. I could see myself doing most of my tasks on a TouchPad while at home (or for that matter when I'm away). I already tend to use my Pre 2 more than my desktop (especially for these forums and social media) the only thing that I stick to the PC with is major writing sessions, development, video editing/watching and some gaming. But, let's look at what tablets bring:

- Increased battery for extended use. (Beats the Pre)
    - Larger screen that I can hold closer for watching videos. (Beats Pre and PC)
    - Document editing though Google Docs or native apps (Beats Pre and PC).
    - Really slick 3D games (Beats Pre and PC).
    - Is totally mobile but still powerful enough for bigger tasks (Beats PC)
    - Better cameras (Beats Pre) for anywhere at home or away (Beats PC).

Basically, except for a few specific tasks like development, I won't be using a PC all that much, and a lot of my smartphone tasks will port over to a tablet as well. I'm ready for it.

~ Follow me on Twitter ~
    "Really slick 3D games (Beats Pre and PC)."

I kinda doubt that. I don't think a mobile device will have graphics comparable to the PC anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post

I kinda doubt that. I don't think a mobile device will have graphics comparable to the PC anytime soon.
    I'm talking about the experience of the gameplay, not the quality of the graphics. There is something to be said for the popularity of Angry Birds and Mini Squadron on the iPad.

~ Follow me on Twitter ~
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post

Have you seen Infinity Blade or Real Racing 2?
    They are neat little games, perfect for mobile devices and deserve the success however I will choose Dead Space 2, Bulletstorm or many other games over Angry Birds anytime. I still don't see myself sitting down and playing for instance Angry Birds for hours if I'm not looking for a short distraction (train/bus ride or the like). I think the experiences are completely different and reflect in the prices as well. I would not pay 50 Euros for Angry Birds, 2 Euros is fine for a simple game like that.