Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Useful reason: desire.
    Your replies are getting worse.

Just because you want it, is usually the opposite of useful, it's usually a waste.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Desire is a pure opinion. I don't debate opinions. Still haven't heard a useful reason to making it thinner. Also, the ipad was thin to start with and I don't recall it's thinness being a problem.

That's one of the problems I see with Apple's competition. Keep ignoring desire and those with said desire will go elsewhere.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    I'm not an apple fan and i only commented on thinness and speakers, personally. I'm not a fan of any company. And i only own one apple product, and ipod. But i just thought your comment doesn't relate to the original post and i felt was pretty misleading. You're doing you're battle with apple people? Hey ok. i won't get into that. But all you've done is take a review, that talks about both the strengths AND weaknesses of a product and quoted only weakness, in partial sentences, omitting any positive phrases. It would be like reviewing a pre and only mentioning oreo, lack of apps, but never mentioning the good notifications, synergy, etc. Someone could easily just cut and past only the positive comments. that doesn't make it balanced. But conjecture like "the Ipad 2 sucks" isn't productive and it's not even close to the entire tenor of the engadget review which no where concludes that the entire product "sucks." It's not productive.

just comment on thinness vs speakers.
    That thread did digress a bit, but you could have singled out your Apple partners-in-crime in the posts immediately above for straying and causing my reply to be like it is. I do believe I did mention before that the 'touted' advantages too - thinner, cameras, Garage Band - but then, those were reviewed too, and didn't turn out to be quite the advantages they are supposed to be.

You'll have to show me some examples where making a thin product thinner makes it more comfortable to hold in the hand. Look at console game controllers. The NES controller is thinner than the Xbox 360 controller but which one is more comfortable to hold for long periods of use?

Apple could of given you lighter in the same shape and size. People could have reused their current cases and docks instead of buying new ones. I would prefer it if Apple pushed reusing more since they like to talk about how 'green' they are, but reusing isn't profitable for them.
    Steve Jobs said so! LOL, sorry, couldn't help that one.

Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Thin IS a desired feature. It is one of the reasons I'm considering the iPad 2. It's one of tthe things I look for in many products like flat screen TVs, monitors, laptops, smartphones, etc.
    Taharka, the iPad2 is 0.16 of an inch! thinner than the iPad. 0.16! And the iPad1 suddenly becomes undesirable? It becomes a monstrosity to have in your hands?
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    That's one of the problems I see with Apple's competition. Keep ignoring desire and those with said desire will go elsewhere.
    What makes you think they ignore desire? Why does apple ignore the consumers desire for flash?

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    just comment on thinness vs speakers.
    But if you read earlier, you would notice I referred to endgadget's review, telling you the sound is so bad, you better get your headsets/speakers, as a negative for thinness as an advantage. Another poster mentioned the fact that you have to factor in the size, weight of the headsets/speakers when considering 'thinness'.
    NNJ
    Your replies are getting worse.

Just because you want it, is usually the opposite of useful, it's usually a waste.

Again, desire is reason enough. But if you're really trying to find a useful reason for going thinner, what about form factor coupled with weight? Feels better in the hands and is less strenuous to hold for extended periods of time.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Again, desire is reason enough. But if you're really trying to find a useful reason for going thinner, what about form factor coupled with weight? Feels better in the hands and is less strenuous to hold for extended periods of time.
    I'm sorry. Again I ask. The iPad2 is 0.16 of an inch thinner and 0.16 of a pound lighter (coincidence?) than the iPad. And THIS makes the iPad something 'strenuous' to hold in your hands? The iPad wasn't strenuous to hold in your hand BEFORE the iPad2 came about?
    NNJ
    @nyallj if you don't mind, can you please show me where I said the iPad 1 is undesirable so that I may correct it? Thanks.

Also my Evo is about .17 inches thinner than my Pre and it makes a big difference to me.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    I answered that just a few post back man. They don't have to change the size to reduce the weight and thinner does not mean more comfortable. Take a look at a nintendo ds, it's more comfortable to hold closed than open.

Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    I'm sorry. Again I ask. The iPad2 is 0.16 of an inch thinner and 0.16 of a pound lighter (coincidence?) than the iPad. And THIS makes the iPad something 'strenuous' to hold in your hands? The iPad wasn't strenuous to hold in your hand BEFORE the iPad2 came about?
    Anything is strenuous to hold if you hold it long enough; weight and strenuosity are inversely proportional. But it's a moot point here; better speakers FTW!
    I answered that just a few post back man. They don't have to change the size to reduce the weight and thinner does not mean more comfortable. Take a look at a nintendo ds, it's more comfortable to hold closed than open.

I agree, some things suck when made thinner, but I don't think that's the case with a tablet device.
    What makes you think they ignore desire? Why does apple ignore the consumers desire for flash?

Ignoring Flash is something I wish Apple didn't do. Also please don't assume that I believe Apple never ignores desire. But you've got to admit that those millions in line right now are likely there more out of desire for a product rather than need.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Thin IS a desired feature. It is one of the reasons I'm considering the iPad 2. It's one of tthe things I look for in many products like flat screen TVs, monitors, laptops, smartphones, etc.
    Taharka, my apologies, you didn't specifically state the iPad is undesirable. But reading the two together, I unwittingly implied you did. That implication should have been left for Barkerja alone.
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Ignoring Flash is something I wish Apple didn't do. Also please don't assume that I believe Apple never ignores desire. But you've got to admit that those millions in line right now are likely there more out of desire for a product rather than need.
    I never even suggested the ipad 2 was undesirable. That would be arguing opinion.

I never even suggested the ipad 2 was undesirable. That would be arguing opinion.

Sorry, wasn't saying that you did. I was just pointing out that at least some people think thinner is good.
    Tim Gideon said it best...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gideon
    The original iPad measured 9.56 by 7.47 by 0.5 inches and weighed 1.5 pounds—so the tablet has slimmed down some, but your hands are not going to notice much difference in weight after holding either device for more than ten minutes. The real physical change is in the contour—the iPad 2 has rounded, narrow edges whereas the original tablet was a bit boxier with wider side panels.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    But if you read earlier, you would notice I referred to endgadget's review, ...
    i said my piece. i read the endadget review. it just didn't say the ipad 2 sucked. i'm done with that topic. i said my piece. i've moved on.

i still think personally neither is that important as i'd rarely use the attached speakers when i care about sound quality and thinness isn't the biggest factor i'd have in purchasing a device.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 03/11/2011 at 09:57 PM.
    Thinner means it is more portable and looks more futuristic.

If you look at design patterns though out the years you will see slim and sleeker designs have continued to grow in popularity.

For a while there, the smaller the product, the more advanced and pricey it was. With touch screens, users liked large screens and small size. To maximize the screen size and still keep it small you have to build thin. (thin is more futuristic, look at sci-fi stories) (apple goes thin and is wildly successful, so others follow.)

Maybe thick will come back in style someday (in 15 years "fat retro phones modeled after phones from 2010" would be pretty cool.)

and thats why thin matters.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Thank you all for keeping this a civil discussion about Thinness vs Speakers without accusing others of sarcasm or questioning why others come to PreCentral.

If we stick to talking about the devices and technologies and not each other, we can all enjoy the discussions.

Nice job, everyone!
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    JBL intros OnBeat iPad / iPhone / iPod speaker dock, prices it at $150 -- Engadget
    Perhaps we can see how Beats compares when the Touchpad debuts.
    NNJ
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast