Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 164
  1. #121  
    Well to throw more gasoline on this 4-alarm bonfire of a thread we have going on here. To help prove a point (which I'm not sure anymore) Alienware just hooked up with Klipsch (makers of audiophile class speakers) and is including them on their latest laptop.

    Klipsch speakers coming to Alienware's 3D-enabled M17x gaming laptop -- Engadget
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Well to throw more gasoline on this 4-alarm bonfire of a thread we have going on here. To help prove a point (which I'm not sure anymore) Alienware just hooked up with Klipsch (makers of audiophile class speakers) and is including them on their latest laptop.

    Klipsch speakers coming to Alienware's 3D-enabled M17x gaming laptop -- Engadget
    Interesting comment from that post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripsink
    Nice. But anybody who buys this will be critical enough not to use the built-in speakers.
    This is why I believe this sort of thing does not really matter in these consumer devices (not saying/suggesting/implying better speakers are not a good thing).
  3. #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Well to throw more gasoline on this 4-alarm bonfire of a thread we have going on here. To help prove a point (which I'm not sure anymore) Alienware just hooked up with Klipsch (makers of audiophile class speakers) and is including them on their latest laptop.

    Klipsch speakers coming to Alienware's 3D-enabled M17x gaming laptop -- Engadget
    I'm sure above-the-average speakers will be a selling point for some but I doubt it's a deciding factor for most that are in the market for a tablet.

    If I cared more about the sound produced from a laptop or tablet then I'd probably be more conscious of what's available in regards to sound quality/speakers when making a purchase, but personally, there's a lot more that I care about.

    I have a great pair of headphones for when I'm away from home and no need to watch/listen on a tablet or laptop while at home.

    To each their own.
  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, I'll be happy to give a full report on the sound quality of the iPad 2 speaker later today if I can manage to get my hands on one. Others can do the same when the Touchpad arrives in coming months, although, I can't imagine this thread going on like this for three or four months based on the speculation that perhaps the thickness of the Touchpad means that the sound is significantly better...
    I don't think you'll see anyone make that claim. However, what's been said is that better speakers produce better sound, and better speakers are typically thicker. The conclusion most have drawn is that HP does have better speakers, and that will likely affect the thickness. Not the other way around.

    As has been pointed out, that's not an important feature to everyone. It will be to some.

    Personally, the USB port is a bigger advantage for me.
  5. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't think you'll see anyone make that claim. However, what's been said is that better speakers produce better sound, and better speakers are typically thicker. The conclusion most have drawn is that HP does have better speakers, and that will likely affect the thickness. Not the other way around.
    Since the original ipad has the same thickness as the touchpad --- we can only conclude one thing, the original ipad has ONE speaker. That's all. But then other people on this thread piled on by saying that the original ipad has a crappy speaker --- which isn't necessarily true.

    Maybe the original ipad has ONE kick-*** speaker.
  6. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #126  
    So I've read no benefit to the extra thinness of the iPad 2 other than people confusing thinner with lighter. A pound of lead is thinner than a pound of feathers, doesn't make a pound of lead lighter. You can get lighter without getting thinner.

    I've noticed people selling their iPad 1 with their case/dock thrown in for free. So because the iPad 2 is thinner, it won't work in existing cases/docks of the original. Now why are iPad 1 owners happy the 2 is thinner?
  7. #127  
    because it is more comfortable to hold in hand... probably for one hand like you would a paper or book.

    also in this case thinner is also lighter by 15%. when the ipad1 was announced, i loved every i read about the ipad and pretty much sold. when i held one in person, i was still liking it a lot but the first thing i noticed was the weight and wished it were lighter.

    thinking i could be laying on the couch and reach over and grab the pad for checking email or quick browsing and thinking heavy to lay down and hold over your head for extended period of times and if that sucker slipped, ouch. lol.

    looking forward to seeing the ipad2 and find out for myself. hopefully this weekend i'll be able to check it out.
  8. #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Since the original ipad has the same thickness as the touchpad --- we can only conclude one thing, the original ipad has ONE speaker. That's all. But then other people on this thread piled on by saying that the original ipad has a crappy speaker --- which isn't necessarily true.

    Maybe the original ipad has ONE kick-*** speaker.
    I looked through the thread, and the closest I found to anything that said Aple's one speaker was "crappy" was this:
    iPad 1 speaker SUCKED huge
    , and I really think that was in reference to the fact that they did a mono speaker setup (it was the original poster in a different post).

    There was a lot of talk about the poor sound, but that's not totally unjustified when you're talking about a media-centric device that only has a single speaker.
  9.    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Since the original ipad has the same thickness as the touchpad --- we can only conclude one thing, the original ipad has ONE speaker. That's all. But then other people on this thread piled on by saying that the original ipad has a crappy speaker --- which isn't necessarily true.

    Maybe the original ipad has ONE kick-*** speaker.
    Alright, seriously, after only searching for about a minute, I found a myriad of internet posts by iPad 1 users complaining about how "CRAPPY" their speaker is. When I, and they as well I'm sure, refer to a "crappy" speaker, I have to assume that it's referring to a single speaker that is unfortunately, too small to hit a wide frequency range, and too quiet to perform adequately for all media consumption.

    I have only used an iPad 1 briefly and found its speaker very lacking compared to the 5 or 6 laptops I've used. Is that a fair comparison? To some, no, but for me, definitely, as it is my opinion that tablets will replace conventional laptops for a great many people. You say the iPad 1 doesn't necessarily have a crappy speaker, but what are you basing this off of?

    You seem to have missed the point of this thread completely, and while I continue to try and reiterate it, you still don't seem to follow. Which leads me to ask, what exactly is your goal here? I just finished reading every single post you've made on precentral... and you know what, I haven't found 1 single positive thing you've had to say about Palm, HP, the Touchpad, or WebOS. Please don't take that the wrong way as I've read a number of posts you've made that were helpful and informative, but again, not one positive thing about anything WebOS related. This forum is for WebOS fans, I'm not saying blind fanboism, but fans none the less. So what do you want from this thread?

    My original post asked about what was more important to people, a design incorporating better sound quality, or a design focused on how thin something is. You first responded with some BS about cameras and nothing to do with speakers. Then you moved onto Apple's cost cutting behavior. Let's not forget some blind attacks on BEATS audio thrown in for good measure. Now, 7 pages into it, you actually mention the iPad 1's speaker.

    I think I'm finished with this thread.

    Thanks to everyone for contributing. It's obvious that people's preferences will differ based on what they value (this was never a secret). I look forward to seeing if the TouchPad delivers a good media experience... again, if they ever launch it.
  10. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #130  
    I think that my camera comment is spot on --- there are many cell phone models with protruding camera units. The camera unit is THE definitive limitation in terms of device thickness. For Apple, in order to make the ipad 2 thin AND keep profit margin high (on a device WITHOUT subsidies) --- they put in a cheap VGA camera.

    I am NOT attacking Beats Audio per se. I am questioning your view that they are the leading experts in spearker and headphone technology. They are in the business for 2 years --- with celebrity endorsements. There are laptops with built-in blu-ray drives with THX-certified speakers.

    Go and watch that "retro" HP Beats Audio video --- it talked about the headphone jack, it talked about using a dedicated audio amp chip and it talked about signal isolation "island". WHERE has HP ever talked about the actual speakers?????? You are the only person on this earth talking about speaker thickness.
  11.    #131  
    Who the hell said Beats is the leading experts in speaker and headphone technology or made a comment that even remotely implies that? I would certainly appreciate you refrain from putting words and ideas in my mouth as I certainly would never be that rude to others in this community; have some respect or don't bother posting.
  12. #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Go and watch that "retro" HP Beats Audio video --- it talked about the headphone jack, it talked about using a dedicated audio amp chip and it talked about signal isolation "island". WHERE has HP ever talked about the actual speakers?????? You are the only person on this earth talking about speaker thickness.
    To be fair, I think I'm the one that brought up speaker thickness. Even if I didn't bring it up, I certainly talked about it. That makes at least two of us.

    As for the HP and the speaker, there are several examples (all on other computers), but here's one. Take a look at red Beats icon, and you'll get information on that speaker.
    http://www.hp.com/united-states/camp...vy/envy14.html

    I'll repeat, absolutes are pretty easy to disprove.

    More to the point of the OP, we really don't know the answer yet on the TouchPad, other than to make some assumptions.

    As I said before, the simple fact that HP is talking about Beats audio, and put in three speakers to ensure stereo no matter the orientation says that audio is at least marginally important to them.

    I'm sure we'll hear more as the release comes closer.
  13. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #133  
    Beats Audio falls into the dedicated vs. integrated chipset argument. That's it. Just like video cards. Dedicated video cards are more powerful than integrated video cards. Pros and cons are increased features vs. increased footprint. The funny thing is that there is probably integrated audio stuff inside the Qualcomm chipset which HP decided not to enable.

    There is no secret sauce. ANY silicon company can make a dedicated audio amp chip. You can buy a "chip amp" kit and build yourself a high-quality amplifier.

    DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information.
  14. #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    ummm...since the Touchpad isn't here right now..the ipad must feel like the only tablet...
    but you missed "buggy software", " the general size and shape of the device has remained the same",
    " most of the iPad 2's changes are cosmetic",
    "if you're working in GarageBand (or just listening to music or watching video), you'll want good headphones or decent speakers nearby" (NOTE: Garage Band is a main touted feature!),
    "Let's just put this out there: the iPad 2 cameras are really pretty bad. " (New feature!)
    "We still have to take issue with the lack of Flash, however. "
    "we had some major, system-stalling crashes which required a reboot of the iPad"
    "The version of iMovie we tested -- like GarageBand -- was slightly buggy and prone to full on crashes while we were editing, and we did have to backtrack and recreate some of our edits after one of the crashes. It wasn't tragic (no actual content was lost), but we're hoping Apple takes a long look at the bug reports which are sure to pour in."
    "Is the iPad 2 a perfect product? Absolutely not. The cameras are severely lacking, the screen -- while extremely high quality -- is touting last year's spec, and its operating system still has significant annoyances, like the aggravating pop-up notifications. "
    "For owners of the previous generation, we don't think Apple's put a fire under you to upgrade."

    LOL...I can understand you wanting to get the iPad2 because it's out there right now...and you're Apple fans and all...I can't understand buying something to experience the crap listed up there...
    I'm not an apple fan and i only commented on thinness and speakers, personally. I'm not a fan of any company. And i only own one apple product, and ipod. But i just thought your comment doesn't relate to the original post and i felt was pretty misleading. You're doing you're battle with apple people? Hey ok. i won't get into that. But all you've done is take a review, that talks about both the strengths AND weaknesses of a product and quoted only weakness, in partial sentences, omitting any positive phrases. It would be like reviewing a pre and only mentioning oreo, lack of apps, but never mentioning the good notifications, synergy, etc. Someone could easily just cut and past only the positive comments. that doesn't make it balanced. But conjecture like "the Ipad 2 sucks" isn't productive and it's not even close to the entire tenor of the engadget review which no where concludes that the entire product "sucks." It's not productive.

    just comment on thinness vs speakers.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 03/11/2011 at 04:28 PM.
  15. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    because it is more comfortable to hold in hand... probably for one hand like you would a paper or book.

    also in this case thinner is also lighter by 15%. when the ipad1 was announced, i loved every i read about the ipad and pretty much sold. when i held one in person, i was still liking it a lot but the first thing i noticed was the weight and wished it were lighter.

    thinking i could be laying on the couch and reach over and grab the pad for checking email or quick browsing and thinking heavy to lay down and hold over your head for extended period of times and if that sucker slipped, ouch. lol.

    looking forward to seeing the ipad2 and find out for myself. hopefully this weekend i'll be able to check it out.
    You'll have to show me some examples where making a thin product thinner makes it more comfortable to hold in the hand. Look at console game controllers. The NES controller is thinner than the Xbox 360 controller but which one is more comfortable to hold for long periods of use?

    Apple could of given you lighter in the same shape and size. People could have reused their current cases and docks instead of buying new ones. I would prefer it if Apple pushed reusing more since they like to talk about how 'green' they are, but reusing isn't profitable for them.
  16.    #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    You'll have to show me some examples where making a thin product thinner makes it more comfortable to hold in the hand. Look at console game controllers. The NES controller is thinner than the Xbox 360 controller but which one is more comfortable to hold for long periods of use?

    Apple could of given you lighter in the same shape and size. People could have reused their current cases and docks instead of buying new ones. I would prefer it if Apple pushed reusing more since they like to talk about how 'green' they are, but reusing isn't profitable for them.
    But then they wouldn't have had a design feature that they could go on and on about and that people could fawn over. How many times did Jobs mention how thin it was? That and garageband was the entire presentation. What would people be talking about then?

    The Kindle is still thinner than the iPad 2, so the iPad 3 will definitely have to be thinner.
  17. #137  
    Thin IS a desired feature. It is one of the reasons I'm considering the iPad 2. It's one of tthe things I look for in many products like flat screen TVs, monitors, laptops, smartphones, etc.
  18. #138  
    Hope the millions of people that bought an iPad 2 today weren't expecting HP TouchPad-quality speakers.
  19. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Thin IS a desired feature. It is one of the reasons I'm considering the iPad 2. It's one of tthe things I look for in many products like flat screen TVs, monitors, laptops, smartphones, etc.
    Desire is a pure opinion. I don't debate opinions. Still haven't heard a useful reason to making it thinner. Also, the ipad was thin to start with and I don't recall it's thinness being a problem.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  20. #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Desire is a pure opinion. I don't debate opinions. Still haven't heard a useful reason to making it thinner. Also, the ipad was thin to start with and I don't recall it's thinness being a problem.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Useful reason: desire.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions