Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 164
  1. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    HE asked what were some selling points to the ipad!

    A plethora of high quality apps of every kind sounds like a big selling point to me.

    Quality build design
    long battery life (10hrs)
    super thin
    very fast and responsive
    Reliable


    I am not saying he should get anything. He asked for reasons to get an ipad2 and I told him a few. The touchpad will be lacking in apps. Battery, speaker quality, speed, reliability we don't know yet cause it's not out.

    I am not trying to argue but you are both just dismissing the points.
    Let me repeat: 'plethora' of apps - do I really need 65000 apps? Can I use 65000 apps? How is plenty apps a 'compelling buying reason'?
    Quality build design - yep...the Touchpad will disintegrate in my hands?
    Long battery life - nice indeed...guess I will need it to sort through those 65k apps...because, the multitasking capabilities I foresee needing, won't be there...
    Very fast and responsive - again, we haven't seen the Touchpad ISN'T fast and responsive, but if it lags a couple microseconds because I have 10 apps running simultaneously, I don't believe my heart will give out...
    Reliable - you really didn't read the review, did you?
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Let me repeat: 'plethora' of apps - do I really need 65000 apps? Can I use 65000 apps? How is plenty apps a 'compelling buying reason'?
    Quality build design - yep...the Touchpad will disintegrate in my hands?
    Long battery life - nice indeed...guess I will need it to sort through those 65k apps...because, the multitasking capabilities I foresee needing, won't be there...
    Very fast and responsive - again, we haven't seen the Touchpad ISN'T fast and responsive, but if it lags a couple microseconds because I have 10 apps running simultaneously, I don't believe my heart will give out...
    Reliable - you really didn't read the review, did you?
    I never said anything about the touchpad having bad build quaility, we don't know yet.
    I never said it was slow either. If you are asking me these questions sincerely then I don't know. No one does, it's not out yet

    I read the review, the goods, bads, and overall greats.

    I myself like having a photobucket app... oh and a working grooveshark app. I also use soundhound on the college radio station here when I hear a song I like. I read with the nook app and will use the netflix app (have an android, never owned an idevice) It's not the point to use every app but to have the app for the function you want to achieve. (more apps is only a good thing, I am sure you agree to that?)

    Movie editing programs crash on my dad's imac and my PC often, it's a very processor intensive process.. I heard they had the app crash and lost no information. I am sure apple will fix this asap.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Let me repeat: 'plethora' of apps - do I really need 65000 apps? Can I use 65000 apps? How is plenty apps a 'compelling buying reason'?
    Quality build design - yep...the Touchpad will disintegrate in my hands?
    Long battery life - nice indeed...guess I will need it to sort through those 65k apps...because, the multitasking capabilities I foresee needing, won't be there...
    Very fast and responsive - again, we haven't seen the Touchpad ISN'T fast and responsive, but if it lags a couple microseconds because I have 10 apps running simultaneously, I don't believe my heart will give out...
    Reliable - you really didn't read the review, did you?
    I never said anything about the touchpad having bad build quaility, we don't know yet.
    I never said it was slow either. If you are asking me these questions sincerely then I don't know. No one does, it's not out yet

    I read the review, the goods, bads, and overall greats.

    I myself like having a photobucket app... oh an a working grooveshark app. I also use soundhound on the college radio station here when I hear a song I like. I read with the nook app and will use the netflix app (have an android, never owned an idevice) It's not the point to use every app but to have the app for the function you want to achieve.

    Movie editing programs crash on my dad's imac and my PC often, it's a very processor intensive process.. I heard they had the app crash and lost no information. I am sure apple will fix this asap.

    [oh, btw beats envy speaker opinion: jus sayin']

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  4. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    I never said anything about the touchpad having bad build quaility, we don't know yet.
    I never said it was slow either. If you are asking me these questions sincerely then I don't know. No one does, it's not out yet

    I read the review, the goods, bads, and overall greats.

    I myself like having a photobucket app... oh an a working grooveshark app. I also use soundhound on the college radio station here when I hear a song I like. I read with the nook app and will use the netflix app (have an android, never owned an idevice) It's not the point to use every app but to have the app for the function you want to achieve.

    Movie editing programs crash on my dad's imac and my PC often, it's a very processor intensive process.. I heard they had the app crash and lost no information. I am sure apple will fix this asap.

    [oh, btw beats envy speaker opinion: jus sayin']
    LOL...noticed in the comments for that video the author thinks it's the best laptop in the world? just saying...
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Nope, not everyone, just those that buying it to use Garage Band...can't imagine using a music app on a device that doesn't play good quality sound...
    So once the music is composed are they only playing it back on iPads? A tablet does not strike me as a full-time mp3 player.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Let me repeat: 'plethora' of apps - do I really need 65000 apps? Can I use 65000 apps? How is plenty apps a 'compelling buying reason'?
    Quality build design - yep...the Touchpad will disintegrate in my hands?
    Long battery life - nice indeed...guess I will need it to sort through those 65k apps...because, the multitasking capabilities I foresee needing, won't be there...
    Very fast and responsive - again, we haven't seen the Touchpad ISN'T fast and responsive, but if it lags a couple microseconds because I have 10 apps running simultaneously, I don't believe my heart will give out...
    Reliable - you really didn't read the review, did you?
    The same 15 apps that you want or need aren't the same 15 apps that I want or need. Multiply that difference amongst millions of consumers and you quickly see the need for a plethora of apps.

    Step outside the box.

    Back on subject: anyone have a response to my post above? (#73)
  7. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    So once the music is composed are they only playing it back on iPads? A tablet does not strike me as a full-time mp3 player.
    LOL...you're funny, you know that? I would have thought you have to hear what you composing...but then I remember Beethoven...
    But what are you trying to say? You'll compose on your iPad...showing your friend how awesome Garage Band is...and then tell him you'll play it back for him on your full-time mp3 player? Because the ipad is too thin to have proper audio production on?
  8. ahitz's Avatar
    Posts
    412 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The same 15 apps that you want or need aren't the same 15 apps that I want or need. Multiply that difference amongst millions of consumers and you quickly see the need for a plethora of apps.

    Step outside the box.

    Back on subject: anyone have a response to my post above? (#73)
    At first I thought "WHO CARES" about the speaker(s) or Beats.

    Then I saw the TouchStone dock and realized that I do. I've wanted a Sonos or Squeezebox or something like that for our main living area for a while, for a simple way to flip on music. Now I realize the TouchPad will fill that gap.

    That, plus serving as the digital picture frame my wife wants may just convince her it's ok for me to buy!

    Edit: Ok, I HOPE the speakers are decent enough to fill that gap. But if they can't get good enough for that then I'll need a Jambox or equivalent - in which case, yes, it was a waste for them to bother on them...
  9. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    From using my iPad 1 for the last ~year my verdict is: I could care less about speaker quality on a laptop or tablet device. From my own usage, if I'm watching a movie, tv show, listening to music, or whatever, I'm generally away from home and in the presence of other people and use my headphones (which are Beats). If I'm at home, I'm not watching movies on my 9.7" screen but rather my 60" or listening to music on my iPad but rather streaming music across my Bose system throughout the house.


    Back on subject: anyone have a response to my post above? (#73)
    Let me try...1 answer to it all: you can't, because the audio on the device is so poor, it prohibits you from...hence the need for your headphone, 60" and Bose systems...
    I do believe you will see me mentioning Bose in earlier posts...
    Because you can't, you're here trying to appease yourself when you notice the Touchpad will have better sound...
  10. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The same 15 apps that you want or need aren't the same 15 apps that I want or need. Multiply that difference amongst millions of consumers and you quickly see the need for a plethora of apps.

    Step outside the box.
    That's right, makes sense...I was going to purchase a Kindle, then noticed the Touchpad coming with Kindle, so will wait....however, just supposing I had to search through the 65k apps for a reading app...must be hundreds, right?
    And then I had to search for an email app, must be hundreds too, right? How do I decide which one I want? How much time must I waste deciding which 1 of those hundreds I really need? Or are you suggesting I just pick the first in the list and see how it suits my taste. I'm thinking, if I have 1 of each app, I'd have to use it, right? It does the work right? Now my mind is easier, because I don't have to worry about the hundreds of other similar apps out there which might just be better every time I use my one app....which does what I need...
  11. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This thread is an absolute canard. There is no reason, whatsoever, to think that there is a significant tradeoff between the thinness of a tablet and sound quality. Just because the Touchpad will be thicker than its main competition doesn't mean that one needs to try to find some larger meaning in it other than it was not designed to be thinner than the current iPad.

    I can assure you that there was not a meeting where HP decided to keep the Touchpad thick so that the sound would be better. That's insane. Beats Audio is a technology trademark that HP owns that serves as a useful differentiator when shoehorned into a mobile device. I assure you that the Touchpad 2 will be thinner next year and will still feature Beats Audio. I'm surprised the the Veer doesn't have Beats Audio.

    If you can derive meaningful stereo separation between the five inches that separate the speakers on the Touchpad then more power to you. Please do enjoy the aural benefits. However, don't expect me to ever believe that people are going to consider sound output over physical thinness to any degree. You can get back to me when Audiophile magazine does its tablet speaker shootout in the Fall.
    I'm still trying to comprehend the need for Bose speakers just because a tablet manufacturer decided that thinner is better, never mind the poor audio...
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Let me try...1 answer to it all: you can't, because the audio on the device is so poor, it prohibits you from...hence the need for your headphone, 60" and Bose systems...
    I do believe you will see me mentioning Bose in earlier posts...
    Because you can't, you're here trying to appease yourself when you notice the Touchpad will have better sound...
    Are you implying that I purchased my headphones to make up for my tablets lacking speakers? I have them for when I'm in public because I consider it to be rude to be blasting music or a movie while sipping on my coffee at Starbucks or riding to work on the train.

    It's out of courtesy to others.
    Last edited by barkerja; 03/10/2011 at 10:39 PM.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    I'm still trying to comprehend the need for Bose speakers just because a tablet manufacturer decided that thinner is better, never mind the poor audio...
    Where did I imply that I bought Bose speakers specifically for my tablet? I've had the setup I have now long before I've had my tablet.

    I feel like I've now entered the Twilight zone as I get the feeling you're trying to defend speakers on a tablet against a 7.1 Bose entertainment system.
  14. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Are you implying that I purchased my headphones to accommodate for my tablets lacking speakers? I have them for when I'm in public because I consider it to be rude to be blasting music or a movie while sipping on my coffee at Starbucks or riding to work on the train.

    It's out of courtesy to others.
    Sorry, my bad...missed the "I'm not at home" part...my apologies...
    Serious question though, can the iPad 'blast' music though? I've never heard one play...
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    I'm still trying to comprehend the need for Bose speakers just because a tablet manufacturer decided that thinner is better, never mind the poor audio...
    Any tablet is going to require connection to something external, (amp, headphones, speakers) to reproduce decent audio. But if you are going to provide on-board speakers on a media device, wouldn't you have a stereo pair?
  16. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Where did I imply that I bought Bose speakers specifically for my tablet? I've had the setup I have now long before I've had my tablet.

    I feel like I've now entered the Twilight zone as I get the feeling you're trying to defend speakers on a tablet against a 7.1 Bose entertainment system.
    You don't compare anything next to Bose systems...
    I have an earlier post where I mentioned endgadget's review of the iPad2 talking about the crappy sound, and the need for you to get headsets/speakers...I suggested then Bose speakers/headsets...and the need for a haversack to fetch them...thus negating the perceived 'advantage' of thinner...
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Sorry, my bad...missed the "I'm not at home" part...my apologies...
    Serious question though, can the iPad 'blast' music though? I've never heard one play...
    Yes, it can, and it sounds perfectly fine. It's not going to compare to your home theater system you have in the living room, but it serves its purpose perfectly.

    I very rarely use it though; I think the last time I used it was about a month ago when my fiancee and I watched a movie on it in bed using Netflix and it was great.
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Sorry, my bad...missed the "I'm not at home" part...my apologies...
    Serious question though, can the iPad 'blast' music though? I've never heard one play...
    You should play with one then before bashing it.

    Has anyone found videos showing touchstone speaker quality?
    I found this: but it's not a good example.


    So every video I saw the Palm rep spouts "Stereo Speakers with beats audio" but they never show off the great sound. Then again Maybe they don't have the music app coded yet
    Last edited by IcerC; 03/10/2011 at 11:02 PM.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  19. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    You should play with one then before bashing it.

    Has anyone found videos showing touchstone speaker quality?
    I found this: but it's not a good example.


    So every video I saw the Palm rep spouts "Stereo Speakers with beats audio" but they never show off the great sound. Then again Maybe they don't have the music app coded yet
    It's a Touchpad, the touchstone is the charger...but it's the iPad2 and it's audio that received the bashing from endgadget...
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    LOL...you're funny, you know that? I would have thought you have to hear what you composing...but then I remember Beethoven...
    But what are you trying to say? You'll compose on your iPad...showing your friend how awesome Garage Band is...and then tell him you'll play it back for him on your full-time mp3 player? Because the ipad is too thin to have proper audio production on?
    I think you missed my point. What I'm saying is that I don't think of tablets (any tablet) as a good MP3 Player. So for me, I don't think it's important to stress over the speakers. But it seems to make a good music creation device for many. And the ones who are serious about it will probably have real instruments and speakers plugged in. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to create music on my MP3 player, but it makes a good music consumption device. None of it was a defense for or against the iPad 2. I was simply mentioning that it is possible that people aren't sitting listening to music all day on their iPads in a way that would make the speakers a deal breaker.

    Even on nice laptops people tend to plug in real speakers if they are doing anything with music that goes beyond playing around.

Posting Permissions