Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 164
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    OK...HP has announced a similarly designed tablet, in terms of looks, size and weight, better features, the apps that I will need...the ability to seamlessly integrate the phone I plan to get (because I sorely need one)...the POSSIBILITY of being able to seamlessly integrate with a computer in the future...
    As a consumer, who doesn't have a tablet...would like to own one...'Available tomorrow' is not a valid enough argument to make me buy an iPad2...after all...it has NOTHING else going for it...
    Better features? Your talking about the speakers aren't you?

    Why do I have to restate the same thing again? Listen, ok? You asked why and I gave 3 reasons.

    Smaller and lighter, same size screen.

    Apps. 65,000+ of them. (Currently touchpad has 0)

    Availibility. 30hrs it is available.

    Price: $499

    Carriers: ATT and Verizon

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Well, now that's it's confirmed that iPad can't do 1080p, of course there's no discernable difference.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I'm assuming you didn't take my question to be serious?
  3.    #63  
    Alright, well I'd prefer this thread doesn't get out of hand as it seems to be heading in that direction.

    My point for this thread:
    With HP's focus on Beats audio and including quality speakers in their laptops, I figured that would carry over into the touchpad. They made a point in their Think Beyond Presentation that consumer's laptops were quickly becoming the main "stereo system" of the household and the vast majority of competitor laptops are not up to the task.

    I am ASSUMING that HP set out to design a product with a similar chassis as the iPad 1, but with their newer focus on audio, likely put in the biggest, best speakers they could fit to compliment BEATS. This would have been an especially smart move considering the numerous complaints about the iPad's speaker that have been reported.

    Now, Apple obviously decided to ignore the complaints about the iPad 1's sound (because let's face it, they always ignore customer complaints) and instead, chose to focus on making a super thin tablet and proceeded to tell their customers that it was the greatest thing since sliced bread... again.

    I know they make good products, but seriously, let's not lie to ourselves about how they operate their business. They ignore their customers; they instead choose to create a "new" feature that is fairly simple/plain but that they can present as a breakthrough, then they proceed to tell their customers how great it is and because Apple said so, their customers then think that the way Apple has designed its product is the only good way and every other design out there is crap.

    Anyone who thinks this isn't the way it happens is either lying to themselves or clueless. Am I knocking them for it? Hell No; it's obviously working for them. And now, no matter what they do, they have their App Ecosystem to fall back on that will always be their product's best selling point.
  4. #64  
    I think focusing on sound, and speaker quality is a good move for HP. I don't think of using my iPad that way, mostly because its its not very good to use that way.

    But if HP can deliver a tablet where sound is "it's thing" they can really carve out a place for themselves, among people who find that useful.

    Maybe pair it with a streaming device.
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I think focusing on sound, and speaker quality is a good move for HP. I don't think of using my iPad that way, mostly because its its not very good to use that way.

    But if HP can deliver a tablet where sound is "it's thing" they can really carve out a place for themselves, among people who find that useful.

    Maybe pair it with a streaming device.
    I guess here's hoping that HP didn't drop the ball and miss an opportunity...again.
  6. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Better features? Your talking about the speakers aren't you?

    Why do I have to restate the same thing again? Listen, ok? You asked why and I gave 3 reasons.

    Smaller and lighter, same size screen.

    Apps. 65,000+ of them. (Currently touchpad has 0)

    Availibility. 30hrs it is available.

    Price: $499

    Carriers: ATT and Verizon
    This post...like WindyCityPre above mentions...is indeed about thinness...like you say indeed IcerC...it's lighter...
    HOWEVER...that said...we have to add a headphone/set of speakers to hear properly...for someone like me who hears from 1 ear...that's a huge negative...and as mentioned above...we now have to ADD the size and weight of the headset/set of speakers to the setup...
  7. #67  
    I think its a little disingenuous to disparage a company just because you percieve them doing business a certain way. Personally I only own an original ipod, thats my only Apple product. However I am very seriously thinking about going all in on Apple. The features they offer are simple, convenient, straight forward. It isnt anything complicated or amazingly innovative but thats what their customers want. You think that people just buy whatever Apple offers because it is Apple. I contend that people buy what the products they want and that meet their needs. For alot of people this is simpler machines designed to work with each other in a very pruposeful way.

    I dont see them ignoring their customers at all, I think they know their customers and what they want better than most companies. The new features you disparage are things that people want and will use. Simple and plain is what many people can relate to and desire. When you compare that with all of the other companies offering up more advanced, complicated features it does seem like a "breakthrough" when someone boils it down to a simplified design.

    Obviously you are not their target customer and that is ok. It is ok for them and it is ok for you. There are companies out there that will cater to your needs just as Apple caters to their customers. Is it really that hard to believe that the products and services that Apple provides can be desired by someone wanting the type of environment?
  8. #68  
    From using my iPad 1 for the last ~year my verdict is: I could care less about speaker quality on a laptop or tablet device. From my own usage, if I'm watching a movie, tv show, listening to music, or whatever, I'm generally away from home and in the presence of other people and use my headphones (which are Beats). If I'm at home, I'm not watching movies on my 9.7" screen but rather my 60" or listening to music on my iPad but rather streaming music across my Bose system throughout the house.
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcougar View Post
    I think its a little disingenuous to disparage a company just because you percieve them doing business a certain way. Personally I only own an original ipod, thats my only Apple product. However I am very seriously thinking about going all in on Apple. The features they offer are simple, convenient, straight forward. It isnt anything complicated or amazingly innovative but thats what their customers want. You think that people just buy whatever Apple offers because it is Apple. I contend that people buy what the products they want and that meet their needs. For alot of people this is simpler machines designed to work with each other in a very pruposeful way.

    I dont see them ignoring their customers at all, I think they know their customers and what they want better than most companies. The new features you disparage are things that people want and will use. Simple and plain is what many people can relate to and desire. When you compare that with all of the other companies offering up more advanced, complicated features it does seem like a "breakthrough" when someone boils it down to a simplified design.

    Obviously you are not their target customer and that is ok. It is ok for them and it is ok for you. There are companies out there that will cater to your needs just as Apple caters to their customers. Is it really that hard to believe that the products and services that Apple provides can be desired by someone wanting the type of environment?
    That's well said. I'm definitely cynical. I sort of disagree with a point or two, but I hear what you're saying.
  10. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #70  
    If HP really "cares" about sound quality, they would have put in a pair of THX-certified speakers --- which some computer manufacturers have done with their laptops. But we all know that PRPRPR $garbage$ $because$ $your$ $mp3$ $file$ $is$ $already$ $crippled$ $beyond$ $repair$ $with$ $a$ $FM$ $sound$ $quality$.

    Every single tablet (besides the ipad/ipad2) has stereo speakers and you won't hear a difference. What you will see is the ipad2 can't play 1080 videos and the xoom's official video app stutters occasionally on 1080 videos (and some third party video players don't).

    My friends all rolled their eyes when I mentioned that Beats Audio is made by Monster Cable. They are in the headphone and speaker business for 2 years and you are making them sound like that they are the leading experts in speaker technology.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    If HP really "cares" about sound quality, they would have put in a pair of THX-certified speakers --- which some computer manufacturers have done with their laptops. But we all know that PRPRPR $garbage$ $because$ $your$ $mp3$ $file$ $is$ $already$ $crippled$ $beyond$ $repair$ $with$ $a$ $FM$ $sound$ $quality$.

    Every single tablet (besides the ipad/ipad2) has stereo speakers and you won't hear a difference. What you will see is the ipad2 can't play 1080 videos and the xoom's official video app stutters occasionally on 1080 videos (and some third party video players don't).

    My friends all rolled their eyes when I mentioned that Beats Audio is made by Monster Cable. They are in the headphone and speaker business for 2 years and you are making them sound like that they are the leading experts in speaker technology.
    Urg...I'd stop and watch this before pursuing the matter any further



    Your confusing the retail product with the technology which is incorrect.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Very well put indeed. And by that logic, the ONLY reason to buy an iPad is...ummm...what again? Seriously, why would I need an iPad over the Touchpad?
    Huge userbase thus 65000 apps.

    Also size weight and design.

    Available tomorrow..
    I think you're missing the point(s):
    • Huge userbase thus 65000 apps He didn't mention any that were exclusive to iPad that he needed. Unless that's the case, the number of apps isn't important. Unless he wants to join the "me too" crowd, that would also make the user base unimportant.
    • Also size weight and design. But, if he needs better speakers, or a USB device, or a BT keyboard, then neither of those are an advantage, because he'd have to carry more weight, more bulk, and couldn't do what he needed.
    • Available tomorrow.. Very good point, if he needs an inferior device right now that doesn't suit his needs, he should jump.
  13. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Urg...I'd stop and watch this before pursuing the matter any further



    Your confusing the retail product with the technology which is incorrect.
    You don't think that those laptops with built-in THX-certified speakers have the same kind of signal isolation?
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcougar View Post
    I dont see them ignoring their customers at all, I think they know their customers and what they want better than most companies. The new features you disparage are things that people want and will use. Simple and plain is what many people can relate to and desire. When you compare that with all of the other companies offering up more advanced, complicated features it does seem like a "breakthrough" when someone boils it down to a simplified design.
    I see what your getting at but strongly disagree. One of the main things Jobs is know for is disparaging things that he doesn't have. He tells the "masses" that they don't need something until he ads it and then it's the best thing since sliced bread, magical, etc., etc.

    So what you are saying is that in 2007 when PalmOS had 50K apps, and WinMo had 30K apps, that Apple SMARTPHONE users didn't want apps?

    Or that they didn't need to get email from their work exchange server?

    Or that they'd have no use for copying and pasting text?

    Or sending MMS messages that dumbphones had been doing many years before?

    Or the ability to add custom ringtones that dumbphones had also been able to do for years, etc., etc.

    Do you see what I'm getting at here and why your argument is flawed with regard to what "Apple" knows there customers want? Rest assured that despite Jobs angst to multitasking and all it's "problems", it was "magical" when hr unveiled it on that dark blue screen with white letters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    I see what your getting at but strongly disagree. One of the main things Jobs is know for is disparaging things that he doesn't have. He tells the "masses" that they don't need something until he ads it and then it's the best thing since sliced bread, magical, etc., etc.

    So what you are saying is that in 2007 when PalmOS had 50K apps, and WinMo had 30K apps, that Apple SMARTPHONE users didn't want apps?

    Or that they didn't need to get email from their work exchange server?

    Or that they'd have no use for copying and pasting text?

    Or sending MMS messages that dumbphones had been doing many years before?

    Or the ability to add custom ringtones that dumbphones had also been able to do for years, etc., etc.

    Do you see what I'm getting at here and why your argument is flawed with regard to what "Apple" knows there customers want? Rest assured that despite Jobs angst to multitasking and all it's "problems", it was "magical" when hr unveiled it on that dark blue screen with white letters.
    I couldn't agree more. Thanks for putting that in a clear and concise reply.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    I see what your getting at but strongly disagree. One of the main things Jobs is know for is disparaging things that he doesn't have. He tells the "masses" that they don't need something until he ads it and then it's the best thing since sliced bread, magical, etc., etc.
    You forget that except for a small percentage of people who read and follow technology, no one "knows" what SJ is saying. These products are sold through advertising, and word of mouth. I can right now ask 10 iPhone users what SJ said about anything and they'd respond, "why would I know that?"

    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    "So what you are saying is that in 2007 when PalmOS had 50K apps, and WinMo had 30K apps, that Apple SMARTPHONE users didn't want apps?

    Or that they didn't need to get email from their work exchange server?

    Or that they'd have no use for copying and pasting text?

    Or sending MMS messages that dumbphones had been doing many years before?

    Or the ability to add custom ringtones that dumbphones had also been able to do for years, etc., etc.

    Do you see what I'm getting at here and why your argument is flawed with regard to what "Apple" knows there customers want? Rest assured that despite Jobs angst to multitasking and all it's "problems", it was "magical" when hr unveiled it on that dark blue screen with white letters.
    But you are infusing the popular blog interpretation of what SJ does and says, with what he has actually said and done....
    common mistake here, but a mistake all the same.
    Last edited by finngirl; 03/10/2011 at 05:02 PM.
  17. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #77  
    You just lost me there finngirl...what has Jobs said and done...as opposed to what he hasn't said and done...?
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    This post...like WindyCityPre above mentions...is indeed about thinness...like you say indeed IcerC...it's lighter...
    HOWEVER...that said...we have to add a headphone/set of speakers to hear properly...for someone like me who hears from 1 ear...that's a huge negative...and as mentioned above...we now have to ADD the size and weight of the headset/set of speakers to the setup...
    But you only add those things if "that's your thing". I don't see myself carrying that stuff around all the time if ever, so I will not add them to the weight and size of any tablet. If it's something that you need all the time (or simply the majority of the time), then yes, I agree that it becomes a factor. I don't think you'll get away with making this a factor for everyone however.
  19. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    But you only add those things if "that's your thing". I don't see myself carrying that stuff around all the time if ever, so I will not add them to the weight and size of any tablet. If it's something that you need all the time (or simply the majority of the time), then yes, I agree that it becomes a factor. I don't think you'll get away with making this a factor for everyone however.
    Nope, not everyone, just those that buying it to use Garage Band...can't imagine using a music app on a device that doesn't play good quality sound...
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think you're missing the point(s):
    • Huge userbase thus 65000 apps He didn't mention any that were exclusive to iPad that he needed. Unless that's the case, the number of apps isn't important. Unless he wants to join the "me too" crowd, that would also make the user base unimportant.
    • Also size weight and design. But, if he needs better speakers, or a USB device, or a BT keyboard, then neither of those are an advantage, because he'd have to carry more weight, more bulk, and couldn't do what he needed.
    • Available tomorrow.. Very good point, if he needs an inferior device right now that doesn't suit his needs, he should jump.
    HE asked what were some selling points to the ipad!

    A plethora of high quality apps of every kind sounds like a big selling point to me.

    Quality build design
    long battery life (10hrs)
    super thin
    very fast and responsive
    Reliable


    I am not saying he should get anything. He asked for reasons to get an ipad2 and I told him a few. The touchpad will be lacking in apps. Battery, speaker quality, speed, reliability we don't know yet cause it's not out.

    I am not trying to argue but you are both just dismissing the points.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html

Posting Permissions