Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 164
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm trying to remember the last time that speaker audio quality really made any difference to the consumer on any portable device. The Bose Wave Radio and any number of boom boxes come to mind. Some notebooks tout speaker quality. Other than that, I don't think that speaker quality is going to enter much into the equation.
    Not until HP makes it so. Just like the general public didn't think they needed restricted, DRM music until Apple showed them the iPod (NOT the best player at the time, but the best marketed)

    HP can easily show them side-by-side playing some movie and the impact of iPads inferior MONAURAL sound versus the TPads Stereo beats audio. They love to tout the iPad movie watching "experience"....throw it back in their face. (Similar to how you can also show that "missing" 40% of the web experience)

    Apple will also soon realize the diminishing returns in making their tech thinner and thinner and it's "velocity*mass". There's a reason dropping a "thin" wine glass in the kitchen sink will result in a break 95% of the time versus dropping a "thicker" whiskey glass in the same sink. A funny thing happens to the kinetic energy when an object is dropped from a height.
  2. #42  
    You think with all this impressive "marketing" apple does, a competitor would just throw a lot of cash at the Ad Agency and call it a day.

    Marketing is not that hard AND it goes to the highest bidder.


    (yes, I am being tongue-in-cheek - mostly because when I think when people tout Apple's "marketing" they really mean Apple's brand - not so easily duplicated)
  3. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    HP can easily show them side-by-side playing some movie and the impact of iPads inferior MONAURAL sound versus the TPads Stereo beats audio. They love to tout the iPad movie watching "experience"....throw it back in their face. (Similar to how you can also show that "missing" 40% of the web experience).
    The BIGGER difference is that the Qualcomm chipset inside the TouchPad can decode 1080p video and the iPad 2 can only decode 720p video.
  4. #44  
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    HP can easily show them side-by-side playing some movie and the impact of iPads inferior MONAURAL sound versus the TPads Stereo beats audio. They love to tout the iPad movie watching "experience"....throw it back in their face. (Similar to how you can also show that "missing" 40% of the web experience).
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    The BIGGER difference is that the Qualcomm chipset inside the TouchPad can decode 1080p video and the iPad 2 can only decode 720p video.
    And all of this won't matter to anyone outside of this thread:}

    I think nice speakers would be nice. But in most cases (ie outside of your home) it's wasted space and added weight.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    The BIGGER difference is that the Qualcomm chipset inside the TouchPad can decode 1080p video and the iPad 2 can only decode 720p video.
    I know this is a bit off topic, but is the iPad 2 not capable of 1080p? If so, I'd like a source that says so. I know it's capable of 1080p output through its mirror HDMI.
    Last edited by barkerja; 03/09/2011 at 07:28 PM.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I know this is a bit off topic, but is the iPad 2 not capable of 1080p? If so, I'd like a source that says so. I know it's capable of 1080p output through its mirror HDMI.
    No, the iPad 2 is NOT capable of decoding 1080p. It can only do 720p and it will UPSCALE 720p content to 1080p through mirrored HDMI.

    Straight from the horse's mouth:
    Apple - iPad - View the technical specifications for iPad.

    Under TV & Video:
    Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
    You'll notice that it can also only shoot 720p video as well, since it isn't able to view anything higher.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    No, the iPad 2 is NOT capable of decoding 1080p. It can only do 720p and it will UPSCALE 720p content to 1080p through mirrored HDMI.

    Straight from the horse's mouth:
    Apple - iPad - View the technical specifications for iPad.

    Under TV & Video:


    You'll notice that it can also only shoot 720p video as well, since it isn't able to view anything higher.
    Now I know (I didn't before). However, I raise the question, is there a distinct difference between 720 and 1080 on a 9.7" display? I know on televisions, 1080 isn't recommended until you hit 40" or above.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    You think with all this impressive "marketing" apple does, a competitor would just throw a lot of cash at the Ad Agency and call it a day.

    Marketing is not that hard AND it goes to the highest bidder.


    (yes, I am being tongue-in-cheek - mostly because when I think when people tout Apple's "marketing" they really mean Apple's brand - not so easily duplicated)
    I can't believe you actaully said that marketing is easy..... people go to school for years to learn to be marketing business class people. What you call Apple branding is what what Apple has been able to do through its marketing and create a religious cult to follow it. If it was so easy then the Pre wouldn't of had crappy ads if it was just so simple like you say. But not to say that Palm could have easily done better.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  9. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Now I know (I didn't before). However, I raise the question, is there a distinct difference between 720 and 1080 on a 9.7" display? I know on televisions, 1080 isn't recommended until you hit 40" or above.
    The problem isn't displaying, the problem is ripping.

    If you grab an hdtv show off the antenna or rip a movie straight off from a blu-ray disc --- that will take only minutes. However, taking that hdtv show which was originally encoded in 1080 and re-encode it to 720 --- that will take you HOURS.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    The problem isn't displaying, the problem is ripping.

    If you grab an hdtv show off the antenna or rip a movie straight off from a blu-ray disc --- that will take only minutes. However, taking that hdtv show which was originally encoded in 1080 and re-encode it to 720 --- that will take you HOURS.
    I think that's a moot point; I don't believe iOS, Android or webOS will directly play a rip. It has to be encoded into a compatible format (MP4/H.264 generally).
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I can't believe you actaully said that marketing is easy..... people go to school for years to learn to be marketing business class people. What you call Apple branding is what what Apple has been able to do through its marketing and create a religious cult to follow it. If it was so easy then the Pre wouldn't of had crappy ads if it was just so simple like you say. But not to say that Palm could have easily done better.
    I know people go to school for years... I am one of them.

    Of COURSE its a skill. But like engineering or medicine or any of those, it can be learned (and is no nowhere near as hard as those two examples), and there are dozens of world class agencies.

    But Apple's "special sauce" as is said around here so often is not really its marketing but its branding. Branding develops (in your words) its cult. Marketing is just the tool to reach them.

    Yes Palm needs better marketing - but with the right brand established, the creepy girl ads would have been dead on.

    Problem is, they marketed for a brand they hadn't yet established, either through history, or through delivering what was marketed.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Now I know (I didn't before). However, I raise the question, is there a distinct difference between 720 and 1080 on a 9.7" display? I know on televisions, 1080 isn't recommended until you hit 40" or above.
    Well, now that's it's confirmed that iPad can't do 1080p, of course there's no discernable difference.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Well, now that's it's confirmed that iPad can't do 1080p, of course there's no discernable difference.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    That, my friend, was hilarious...
  14. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #54  
    iPad 2 review -- Engadget
    The review is out...speaks for itself really...see my post in Other Devices for points...
    but..."if you want to see videos or movies, you will need speaker sets or headsets"...I wonder how thinness will matter when you have to buy a haversack for that set of speakers to hear with...
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    iPad 2 review -- Engadget
    The review is out...speaks for itself really...see my post in Other Devices for points...
    but..."if you want to see videos or movies, you will need speaker sets or headsets"...I wonder how thinness will matter when you have to buy a haversack for that set of speakers to hear with...
    This is slightly off-topic, but really only slightly. I remember in the early days of laptops, when there was a mad rush for the finish line of lightest (thin wasn't really in yet, this was in the late 90's).

    I had a Compaq laptop that was not too heavy, but was seduced by what I was reading about the new Sony Vaio laptos. I don't remember the specs, but they were significantly lighter. I bought the Sony, and was pleased with the computer overall, but then I noticed something one day when I was putting things away in my laptop bag.

    The Sony had a nice big brick power supply. Don't know what the thing weighed, but I'm sure it was at least a pound, maybe two. The Compaq I had just replaced had the power supply built in to the computer. While it added weight to the laptop, it also meant that I could simply use a basic power cord instead of a device specific power supply.

    Since I had to carry the power supply with me in my bag, there was no net savings in weight. As a matter of fact, the Sony (with a larger screen) was slightly heavier when the brick was factored in.

    The Sony may have been "lighter" for a person carrying it from room to room, sitting around a dorm with no power connected, etc, but for me - who took it to client sites and ran it 8-10 hours at time requiring the power supply, the lighter weight was in fact heavier.

    For HP we see the same sort of thing with the Veer. If corded headsets are needed/desired for the users, than the proprietary magnetic connector (which I think is a great thing) has to be factored in when deciding on that the size is an advantage. If a person is using BT headsets, it's not a factor.

    So, how's this tie in to the OP - all of these factors have to be factored in for the use by an individual user. In spite of the claims about what consumers do and do not want, the only consumer important to a buyer is the consumer that is currently buying.

    If the TouchPad's speakers are such that the OP won't need headsets for his use, but for comparable use the iPad2 will, then headsets need to be factored in for price, weight, and yes, even "thinness" characteristics.

    Pooh-poohing that need by fans of a particular device notwithstanding, those features that are important to a buyer are important.
  16. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Pooh-poohing that need by fans of a particular device notwithstanding, those features that are important to a buyer are important.
    Very well put indeed. And by that logic, the ONLY reason to buy an iPad is...ummm...what again? Seriously, why would I need an iPad over the Touchpad?
  17. #57  
    Huge userbase thus 65000 apps.

    Also size weight and design.

    Available tomorrow..

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  18. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Huge userbase thus 65000 apps.

    Also size weight and design.

    Available tomorrow..
    OK...HP has announced a similarly designed tablet, in terms of looks, size and weight, better features, the apps that I will need...the ability to seamlessly integrate the phone I plan to get (because I sorely need one)...the POSSIBILITY of being able to seamlessly integrate with a computer in the future...
    As a consumer, who doesn't have a tablet...would like to own one...'Available tomorrow' is not a valid enough argument to make me buy an iPad2...after all...it has NOTHING else going for it...
  19. #59  
    LOL @ thinking the iPad2 has nothing going for it.
  20. ggendel's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    #60  
    Actually, I don't see why reasonable quality sound couldn't be generated from a thin device. Speakers are just a way of converting analog electrical signals into the movement of air. So I can envision a piezoelectric ribbon at the edge or better yet, driving a flattened horn which could help with the lower frequencies. Any piston-like action would suffice as long as it can move enough air and be servo-locked to the analog signal.

    Of course you could go crazy and have them produce a cloud of plasma gas to move the air directly (like the Hill Plasmatronics) but the batteries wouldn't last very long and you'd have to carry around a supply of Helium gas and avoid drafts.



    I don't expect such a small device to produce very low frequencies, but the low-mid (~200hz) to very high (100kHz) should be obtainable for reasonable personal volume levels. If you plan on using these things for a party situation, external speakers are really necessary.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions