1.    #1  
    Looks like there may be plenty of room for multiple-tablet players in this game

Only .3% of the world's population has bought a tablet - Phone Arena)
    Last edited by oceanrealm; 03/08/2011 at 09:45 AM.
    7 billion people...21 million (+) tablets sold actually seems impressive considering there's only been one REAL player for the past year.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I bet apple owns 99% of that .3%.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    A word of advice - if you ever have to present a business plan, do not use the world's population as your target market figure unless you want to laughed out of the room.
    Hehe...no kidding. If you're looking at the US population 18 and older, it's roughly 9%. Not bad in 12 months' time.
    99% of the world has no need of/desire for a tablet.* So in only one year, Apple has cornered 30% of the potential market and is about to launch their second generation before most manufacturers have launched their first generation device.

*NOTE: 78% of all statistics are made up.
    Actually that 0.3% was Smartphones and Tablets...
  7.    #7  
    Obviously, whatever small fraction of the population likely to make such purchases, IPad pretty much owns - for now!! Good for them!!! The point is that several other tech companies see a huge opportunity for this future market. Clearly, MS - an arguably successful tech company - doesn't feel that 2012 is too late to enter the tablet game. In a year or two, let's revisit the market share for each type of tablet. Only the most pessimistic - or optimistic - depending on your slant, would predict that Apple would still have 99% of the tablet market share. Furthermore, that small chunk of potential tablet owners out of the general population will become a much bigger "small" chunk in that same time frame. And even if Apple does have a similar market share, total tablet sales (of all brands) will have expanded. So it appears there is room for multiple tablet players in the game - which is my original assertion! Only time will tell!!
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanrealm View Post
    Obviously, whatever small fraction of the population likely to make such purchases, IPad pretty much owns - for now!! Good for them!!! The point is that several other tech companies see a huge opportunity for this future market. Clearly, MS - an arguably successful tech company - doesn't feel that 2012 is too late to enter the tablet game. In a year or two, let's revisit the market share for each type of tablet. Only the most pessimistic - or optimistic - depending on your slant, would predict that Apple would still have 99% of the tablet market share. Furthermore, that small chunk of potential tablet owners out of the general population will become a much bigger "small" chunk in that same time frame. And even if Apple does have a similar market share, total tablet sales (of all brands) will have expanded. So it appears there is room for multiple tablet players in the game - which is my original assertion! Only time will tell!!
    Uh... maybe. But the point I am making is that whatever market exists for smartphones and tablets - it is small compared to the population of the world. The vast majority of the population of the world is completely unable to affort even a basic phone let alone a smartphone or tablet. I think you need to compare based on those with means first.
  9.    #9  
    Correct...clearly tech companies with future release plans for tablets are targeting those likely to make purchases. A better parameter might be to compare those with computers versus those without. In any case, prognosticators clearly see an expanding tablet market and infiltration worldwide, which bodes well for those companies good at the game. Apple has already shown their astute skills. Who else will step up to the plate

Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Uh... maybe. But the point I am making is that whatever market exists for smartphones and tablets - it is small compared to the population of the world. The vast majority of the population of the world is completely unable to affort even a basic phone let alone a smartphone or tablet. I think you need to compare based on those with means first.
  10.    #10  
    Not sure what "this" is referring to - but if I want to buy a tablet NOW, I will choose from what's available NOW. If I wait for the HP TouchPad, then I'll get it (along with hopefully the Pre3). If I really want to wait, I'll get the Windows tablet next year. Or I might just try all of them sequentially. I have had 4-5 brands of laptop (for myself and family members) over the past 10 years, so it will be nice to have choices with tablets, too.

I can think of very few electrical/technical devices (including smartphones) from which there is only one brand/kind to choose. Thus, I predict the same choices will be abundantly available with tablets within the near future - in which case we all win

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So, how does this impact what kind of tablet you should buy right now? If Microsoft will not have their tablet OS ready until late 2012 does that mean you want to wait?