Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 110
  1.    #1  
    heres a latest rumor stating that HP is moving the option of having Palm design the HP Touchpad, to their notebook division. I for one think thats a very good design, knowing that HP has a good reputation on their laptop, and Notebook designs. What does everyone think good idea or bad?

    RUMOR: HP Moving TouchPad Design Away From Palm? | webOSroundup)
  2. #2  
    Well, sounds like a vote of 'no confidence' for Rubi there.

    Not sure if thats good for webos creating two camps so soon. Maybe the laptop guys will be able to get product out sooner. Who will control webos development then?
  3. #3  
    if the laptop guys don't work with webOS at some point how will they make laptops with webOS systems ? They have to learn how use it and code it to integrate it . So I'm thinking they are not taking it from palms division just to take over design but in order to attempt to either integrate to windows or replace windows with webOS . That's the ultimate goal for HP as it stands , right ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  4. #4  
    Notebook division i feel is closer to pc division cause everything they've built is pc/windows based. Webos is different... The tablet is basically an oversized pre... Throw more hardware guys to the palm division than to fracture webs at this early stage. My opinion only.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Notebook division i feel is closer to pc division cause everything they've built is pc/windows based. Webos is different... The tablet is basically an oversized pre... Throw more hardware guys to the palm division than to fracture webs at this early stage. My opinion only.
    I agree with this, at this point make sure the hardware is optimized and is very ready for the market when launched, then as stated above start to merge the two division so that HP's notebook, and laptop division gets used to webos, and can create not only of course notebooks/laptops running webos, but can lend a hand on future tablet designs.
  6. #6  
    what part of " HP want to put webOS on computers as an OS wether or not it will stand alone or in conjucntion has yet to be stated . But that means the laptop/computer teams have to start working on it . That's just my deductive reasoning .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  7. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #7  
    Why on earth folks think it as a problem ? It frees up PALM team to spend more time on what they do best "SOFTWARE". Palm never made good hardware. Me thinks it will be super if we get devices with the hardware quality of ENVY and WebOS as software.
  8. #8  
    these phones are computers man . They are just smaller . That's it . All the same components are in both. Even touchscreens are showing up in larger computers . I agree with HP if they do this . Let palm do webOS phones and OS and let HP do the larger sized handheld computing devices.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  9. #9  
    Too many cooks starting to get into it... When they haven't sent out one dish as a whole. Just saying. I'd rather see webos under one division. I imagine apple doesn't combine iPad with their laptop/pc/osx division. iOS is different enough where they have them in a different division?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    what part of " HP want to put webOS on computers as an OS wether or not it will stand alone or in conjucntion has yet to be stated . But that means the laptop/computer teams have to start working on it . That's just my deductive reasoning .
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Too many cooks starting to get into it... When they haven't sent out one dish as a whole. Just saying. I'd rather see webos under one division. I imagine apple doesn't combine iPad with their laptop/pc/osx division. iOS is different enough where they have them in a different division?
    by moving hardware design they are doing exactly what you state . To many dishes for palm to create and manage so ... Take away the dish of hardware and let them prepare the dish of WebOS and HP the rest of the dinner !! This mean webOS under one division.
    and HP is nothing like apple . HP is the biggest tech company in the world next to samsing I believe . They are neck and neck .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  11. indyjoe's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    #11  
    I don't understand the panic about the iPad 2. Isn't the only thing the Touchpad missing compared to the iPad 2 the rear facing camera?
  12. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #12  
    Rear facing camera...and build materials, weight, thickness, release date, and price.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Rear facing camera...and build materials, weight, thickness, release date, and price.
    well to me just the rear facing cam, build materials, weight, and thickness is a preference, release date and price are still TBDTBDTBD.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Well, sounds like a vote of 'no confidence' for Rubi there.

    Not sure if thats good for webos creating two camps so soon. Maybe the laptop guys will be able to get product out sooner. Who will control webos development then?
    It's been ten months since HP bought Palm, and I somehow doubt Palm had a tablet in the works before June 2010. There was not many rumors more like wishes that WebOS would one day go on a tablet. It wasn't until HP announced to buy Palm that the tablet talk started. Having a product and a new redesigned OS ready in just under one year is an amazing feat. And since the notebook guys don't write their own OS, I am not sure how much faster they can be.

    However, I do think HP notebook division could redesign the TouchPad to be thinner and this would allow Palm GBU to focus on phones.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    if the laptop guys don't work with webOS at some point how will they make laptops with webOS systems ? They have to learn how use it and code it to integrate it . So I'm thinking they are not taking it from palms division just to take over design but in order to attempt to either integrate to windows or replace windows with webOS . That's the ultimate goal for HP as it stands , right ?
    I agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Why on earth folks think it as a problem ? It frees up PALM team to spend more time on what they do best "SOFTWARE". Palm never made good hardware. Me thinks it will be super if we get devices with the hardware quality of ENVY and WebOS as software.
    Exactly!
  15. #15  
    well, from the article the rumor sounds like they dont want to take any chances with touchpad2 (i guess they were not happy with the way things are going with touchpad1??).

    if they wanna bring it under the full hp umbrella and they believe it will make them bring out a better product then that is a positive. not really trying to argue about it... i just have a personal feeling that all webos products should be under one division for now. I guess i believe in jobs belief in vertical integration

    honestly i have posted many times before how i thought palm under rubi's management was a failure and it certainly has. so in one way, it will be good for touchpad to be taken away from him. wont be too long before they bring the rest over.
  16. jkaczy's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #16  
    I for one think that if they are going to move WebOS into all their PC's i.e. Laptops that it is a good idea. I think that this is the TouchPad is the future of Laptops anyway. It would be great to have a dual boot Laptop, one with WebOS without booting up your laptop and one with a full boot with Windows. It seems the elegance of WebOS is with Cloud computing while Windows is with the desktop. Both serve a function and I for one would love to not have to boot up a whole version of Windows just to get on the internet. Sony has a dual boot with their laptops but it only boots up Chrome.
  17. #17  
    Yes, that's what i am afraid of... that laptop div will come out with a touchpad that dual boots webos and windows7
  18. #18  
    I agree with several posters above. Let Palm be the the 'software' division and let the laptop people be the 'hardware' people. AS LONG AS there is excellent communication between them this should be a plus. If this ends up being like Nokia (there was an article about software/hardware friction a while back) we are in serious trouble.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Yes, that's what i am afraid of... that laptop div will come out with a touchpad that dual boots webos and windows7
    That I will LOVE it!! A very mobile, thin, and light TouchPad that will dual boot in to Windows 7. I will buy that in a heart beat if Verzion will carry it!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    what part of " HP want to put webOS on computers as an OS wether or not it will stand alone or in conjucntion has yet to be stated . But that means the laptop/computer teams have to start working on it . That's just my deductive reasoning .
    +1
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions