Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 101 to 110 of 110
  1. #101  
    Palm Team work WebOS, HP work the tablet hardware, find someone for phone hardware (HTC, Samsung, or Motorola, etc.). Remember any of the HP phones? What the...... Remember the launched Pre and Pixi, or latest versions? What the ...
  2. #102  
    <<thread cleaned - again>>

    *Please, enough with the nit-picking and arguing.
  3. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #103  
    Oh well, moderators deleted my post. Today's news confirm why HP moved tablet hardware design to their notebook department. Its not a bout Ruby or someone not doing a good job. HP's plans as bigger than smartphones.

    Its all good folks. Now get me my tablet next month.
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    <<thread cleaned - again>>

    *Please, enough with the nit-picking and arguing.
    need some warm milk and cookies? man, relax.
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Palm Team work WebOS, HP work the tablet hardware, find someone for phone hardware (HTC, Samsung, or Motorola, etc.). Remember any of the HP phones? What the...... Remember the launched Pre and Pixi, or latest versions? What the ...
    The last time this happened was when Palm, Inc. divided itself into PalmOne (hardware) and PalmSource (software). PalmOne stopped innovating in any real way past the Treo 600 brought in by the Handspring merger and PalmSource never made it out of the Garnet doldrums eventually getting eaten up by Access.

    Pulling the software and hardware entities apart again is a sure-fire way to:

    1. Ensure disparate hardware and software development paths.
    2. Discourage the healthy give-and-take of a unified development process.
    3. Encourage unhealthy competition between the two entities to both their detriments.
    4. Waste human and capital resources trying to reintegrate the separate products these two corporate entities produce ... probably in the form of another third corporate entity.

    In summary: Proven bad idea.
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The last time this happened was when Palm, Inc. divided itself into PalmOne (hardware) and PalmSource (software). PalmOne stopped innovating in any real way past the Treo 600 brought in by the Handspring merger and PalmSource never made it out of the Garnet doldrums eventually getting eaten up by Access.
    ...
    You're comparing apples (the fruit, not the company) to oranges (the fruit, not any of the counties). When Palm divided, it was into two disparate companies, not into different divisions within the same company. Not the same thing, thus makes the rest of the comparisons moot.
  7. #107  
    As many have mentioned before, in a large company re-orgs happen quite often i.e. typically every 2-3 years. Generally, the bigger the company the longer the time between re-orgs. They definitely do not happen in matter of weeks. There are project managers responsible with the task of increasing efficiency. Sometimes a re-org is necessary to achieve that. The project involves everything from conceptualization to projected benefits and then needs to get approval from the top brass after which other people get involved to verify the viability of the idea and even then it can take months to actually happen. Some times the announcements about the re-org come out several months in advance.

    So, this may have always been on the cards and what this would mean is that the tablet specs for the next generation device are going to come from the software division and the hardware team is responsible for the look, feel, height, weight etc. of the hardware itself while Software division is responsible for the optimization of code, baseline performance analysis and final testing when they have the hardware available to them.

    As far as re-orgs go this makes complete sense as the jobs/goals for these two departments are completely different. As long as they are in-sync things will work splendidly.
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    As many have mentioned before, in a large company re-orgs happen quite often i.e. typically every 2-3 years. Generally, the bigger the company the longer the time between re-orgs. They definitely do not happen in matter of weeks. There are project managers responsible with the task of increasing efficiency. Sometimes a re-org is necessary to achieve that. The project involves everything from conceptualization to projected benefits and then needs to get approval from the top brass after which other people get involved to verify the viability of the idea and even then it can take months to actually happen. Some times the announcements about the re-org come out several months in advance.

    So, this may have always been on the cards and what this would mean is that the tablet specs for the next generation device are going to come from the software division and the hardware team is responsible for the look, feel, height, weight etc. of the hardware itself while Software division is responsible for the optimization of code, baseline performance analysis and final testing when they have the hardware available to them.

    As far as re-orgs go this makes complete sense as the jobs/goals for these two departments are completely different. As long as they are in-sync things will work splendidly.
    This is not even a reorg. This is more of an org. HP just bought Palm.
  9. #109  
    a laptop designed to disconnect/pop off the top portion/screen would be cool. as soon as you disengage the screen it boots into WebOS and away you go. heading to a quick meeting, leave the laptop docked, pop the top off, enter the clode and grad files, print files, share files or simply take notes. this could work.

    this would be lead by PSG and the notebook group at HP.
  10. crg28's Avatar
    Posts
    173 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    #110  
    Best Case Scenario:
    All Laptops from now on will have Touch Screens (cheaper version would be the "touchpad" being used instead of the screen). Windows would be installed within WEBOS. Giving you the ability to use the Webos UI over Windows....BEing able to swipe every window in windows as you do on a Pre/Touchpad would be the start....the possibilities are endless with this "always on" integration.

    Worst Case Scenario: My fear is that HP will simply stick WEBOS as a dual boot option.....this will not accomplish anything to broaden WEBOS user base..
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Posting Permissions