Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I'll answer that when I have a few hours to debate the meaning of words like "division" and "confidence" and "status quo" and "competitive design" and "homogenization" with you.
    In other words, it's just typical fan wishful thinking.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Maybe they are just reorganizing... after a major organization, employee shift, and focus of work... there is room for change until things get settled. I feel as if they should have give ALOT of real hands on before making the shift to see if this is what "we" really wanted.
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    you guys are silly to say the least . All this doom and gloom is for nought ! This is only a rumor to begin with .and if HP decided to move the hardware specks and designing to the laptop department , well it sounds like a good move to me . Then palm division would have more room and alot more time to perfect later versions of webOS . Just sayin !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Hey maybe this is a good thing! Let HP work on the tablet and the Palm Business Unit work solely on WebOS Phones!

Im just saying, having a group work only on phones could bring better devices out faster!

Or if they are just going to absorb Palm why not just license the OS to KNOWN good hardware manufacturers and they can work on tablets by themselves.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Two things becoe hauntingly pertinent with this article:

1. Just like HP has done with their other acquisitions, Palm is getting squeezed out of the picture now that their IP has been captured and HP has had a few months to work along side the old Palm employees.

2. "We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business." -- Mark Hurd
    I wouldn't pay attention to what Mark Hurd has said. He is history now , just like Palm.

Rather I pay attention to Leo, Todd Bradley. The support for Palm/WebOS is evident from Leo's recent statements and Todd's supporting words during the touchpad launch. If HP doesn't want to be in Phones business why did they released Pre 2 ? and why did they announced Veer and Pre 3 ?

HP just don't want to enter smartphone business but do more gadgets from Tablets to printers and many more.

To me, its okay if the old Palm team disappears but not WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Well, sounds like a vote of 'no confidence' for Rubi there.

Not sure if thats good for webos creating two camps so soon. Maybe the laptop guys will be able to get product out sooner. Who will control webos development then?
    Ruby isn't the one who designs and creates things. Ruby is Palm. There are 800 other people who are working the **** off everyday to create the future of WebOS. If anything, this is a great move because it lets the Palm people focus on what they do best, software. They don't have to worry or put any of their vital resources into creating the hardware itself. HP gave that job to those who have experiance and have been doing it well for years.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    Or if they are just going to absorb Palm why not just license the OS to KNOWN good hardware manufacturers and they can work on tablets by themselves.
    That is my point too. They could have fired everyone and licensed the WebOS. They didn't.

Unlike folks here who say Pam is finished or HP is done with smartphones , I believe they have a plan to make the hardware better. And I believe folks at HP know that they are loosing time as evident from Leo's recent statements of getting products early to market.

If anything it is a great move. These sorts of things are common when you acquire a company and merge with your existing division.
    Last edited by gbp; 03/08/2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Add sentence.
    Maybe its a little internal competition...
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    You have 800 soldiers fighting the good fight... Doesn't matter how good your guys are if you got a crappy leader. Ruby doesn't design or create. He is the manager... The leader. He ain't no leader. And the HP guys see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Ruby isn't the one who designs and creates things. Ruby is Palm. There are 800 other people who are working the **** off everyday to create the future of WebOS. If anything, this is a great move because it lets the Palm people focus on what they do best, software. They don't have to worry or put any of their vital resources into creating the hardware itself. HP gave that job to those who have experiance and have been doing it well for years.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nightdevil21 View Post
    Maybe its a little internal competition...
    My gut feeling is , Ruby might have told Todd to offload the hardware design from Palm's team so that they can work on GUI design/ WebOS 3.0 / Enyo / Apps .....
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    You have 800 soldiers fighting the good fight... Doesn't matter how good your guys are if you got a crappy leader. Ruby doesn't design or create. He is the manager... The leader. He ain't no leader.
    Just to refresh your memory, it was Ruby who saved Palm by having Elevation Partner's invest in. It was Ruby who scrapped the older operating systems (both Palm OS and Windows Customization) and focused on WebOS from the ground up. And it was Ruby who saved the WebOS by selling it to HP.

Do you think Ruby's job is to design or create ? His job is to hire good guys who are good at what they do, just like Steve J hired Ruby/Cook/Ive ....
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    My gut feeling is , Ruby might have told Todd to offload the hardware design from Palm's team so that they can work on GUI design/ WebOS 3.0 / Enyo / Apps .....
    while that does not lead to a good movie and popcorn fight scene.... its probably true
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    The article said 'HP' made the decision to move them than to 'rely' on the palm team. A panic move from the ipad2 release. Their words... Not gut feeling. So it's the 4th quarter, down 1 for the championship and coach calls time out and tells the team, give the ball to Michael Jordan.

He was smart enough to get to a certain point... But incapable of getting the job done. Rookie coach going against phil Jackson. Like my metaphors? the dude just can't get the job done... He's a good 2nd man or 3rd. He was the CEO of a major company... PALM. At the end of the day it all falls on him. He's not even as good as steve balmer.

Just to refresh your memory, it was Ruby who saved Palm by having Elevation Partner's invest in. It was Ruby who scrapped the older operating systems (both Palm OS and Windows Customization) and focused on WebOS from the ground up. And it was Ruby who saved the WebOS by selling it to HP.

Do you think Ruby's job is to design or create ? His job is to hire good guys who are good at what they do, just like Steve J hired Ruby/Cook/Ive ....
    Last edited by donm527; 03/08/2011 at 05:14 PM.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    He was smart enough to get to a certain point... But incapable of getting the job done. Rookie coach going against phil Jackson. Like my metaphors?
    oh well, wrong analogy. He inherited post Jordan Bulls and was able to sell it to the Lakers.
    Yep. And the front office sees he no phil Jackson and making some calls.

oh well, wrong analogy. He inherited post Jordan Bulls and was able to sell it to the Lakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    How big is the TouchSmart division and which business unit is it in? anyone know? Maybe like the old Microsoft model*, they are expected to compete against each other? (as the teams behind Livesync, Livemesh and em.. that other sync product were expected to).

* Just as an aside here, crazy as it seems, teams in Microsoft were often not allow to fix problems with certain web products to make Office look better.
    That's a good question.

Touchsmart is just a product family in the personal systems division (same place Palm is). After the acquisition they folded the touchsmart developers (not sure if it was some or all, but it was several hundred people), into the webOS development group.

No one "changed divisions" they just combined development from the two groups that work on touchscreen and UI. That makes sense to have them all creating a common user experience across all devices. I think it's safe to say you will see webOS look and feel showing up in the touchsmart interface one of these days.

I think you have to admit that this thread is hilarious.

• It's a rumor. Who knows if it's true or what it would be intended to do?
    • Giant corporations re-organize constantly.
    • I'm sure that the new CEO did some, and will do more.
    • Leo is doing a big strategy event soon, and I'm sure there will be changes included in that pitch. None of which matter at all to current products.
    • The people who get the most wound up about this are generally the people who haven't worked for giant companies and see how much restructuring goes on.
    Why doesn't HP just leave the development of the OS to the Palm people and let other arms take care of hardware development?

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    You have 800 soldiers fighting the good fight... Doesn't matter how good your guys are if you got a crappy leader. Ruby doesn't design or create. He is the manager... The leader. He ain't no leader. And the HP guys see it.
    So he isn't a leader? Is that why he invented and lead the creation the iPod which revolutionized the Music and Tech world? Is that why 119 million iPods had been sold by the time he had left Apple in 2008? Is that why he saved Apple from bankruptcy and set it on the path which led it to be the billion dollar company it is today? Is that why WebOS is the best and fare most modern mobile Operating System to date?

Obviously, he is a horrid leader because only the worst of the worst could ever revolutionize the mobile market as much as he has.... really?
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    he didnt invent the ipod... his claim to fame...

he found the hard drive that was small enough to make the ipod what is was.

he found the hard drive man! lol.

steve still had full control of the rest and made the ipod what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    So he isn't a leader? Is that why he invented and lead the creation the iPod which revolutionized the Music and Tech world? Is that why 119 million iPods had been sold by the time he had left Apple in 2008? Is that why he saved Apple from bankruptcy and set it on the path which led it to be the billion dollar company it is today? Is that why WebOS is the best and fare most modern mobile Operating System to date?

Obviously, he is a horrid leader because only the worst of the worst could ever revolutionize the mobile market as much as he has.... really?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast