Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    what language is that ?? Or do you not know that either lol ha ha
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    what language is that ?? Or do you not know that either lol ha ha
    well I have several HP notebooks and at least I havent' had any issues with USB door cracks and loose parts - and the specs are in-line iwht the rest of notebook producers. So maybe palm should just concentrate on the software and let HP produce quality hardware that doesn't crack or chip and specs are top of the line (not last year's specs)
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    It's been ten months since HP bought Palm, and I somehow doubt Palm had a tablet in the works before June 2010.
    I believe they had Tablet in their future lineup. But those were different times. Palm was living hand to mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    However, I do think HP notebook division could redesign the TouchPad to be thinner and this would allow Palm GBU to focus on phones.
    I think it would be super idea. I care less about the Enyo frame work and App Store support .... Just release couple more gadgets and increase market share. The developers follow the market share. HP notebook division is well oiled machine. I would let them design the hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    well I have several HP notebooks and at least I havent' had any issues with USB door cracks and loose parts - and the specs are in-line iwht the rest of notebook producers. So maybe palm should just concentrate on the software and let HP produce quality hardware that doesn't crack or chip and specs are top of the line (not last year's specs)
    if you actually go back and read I've been stateing I would rather like it if palm would give the hardware off and just work with the OS ?? So why you directing this comment @ me ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    So uhm, how does webOS on a computer work? Does it require a mouse cursor?
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    So uhm, how does webOS on a computer work? Does it require a mouse cursor?
    WebOS works in tablet mode on a laptop.
  7.    #47  
    yeah honestly at this point to not further delays I would if I were HP focus on the software on the touchpad making sure it is complete, bug and lag free. Then on the next generation (along with there new phone designs) have their notebook or laptop section make the hardware going forward.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Precentral posted an article on the same subject. I guess P/C missed the point. Apps are important but can be added later. The big issue here is , there is no device for HP to sell. When they finally make one they fall behind iPad or Android tablets in terms of hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    heres a latest rumor stating that HP is moving the option of having Palm design the HP Touchpad, to their notebook division. I for one think thats a very good design, knowing that HP has a good reputation on their laptop, and Notebook designs. What does everyone think good idea or bad?

RUMOR: HP Moving TouchPad Design Away From Palm? | webOSroundup)
    It's a sign that HP believes that it's already lost and pretty much destroys any enthusiasm I might have felt for this product.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    It's a sign that HP believes that it's already lost and pretty much destroys any enthusiasm I might have felt for this product.
    Seriously? Good grief man. I guess maybe I just see things "glass half full", but...

#1 - it's a rumor. Why get so bent out of shape by a rumors?
    #2 - even if it's true, well....there is no Palm anymore. It's all HP. HP would simply be shifting resources around to better serve their future product lines. Makes total sense to me that the laptop group would have their hands on the tablet. I think we'll definitely see those two product groups somewhat morph together in the coming years.

Cheer up!
    The TouchPad was already an HP design that they were planning for an Android tablet. That's why it doesn't have a gesture bar in the bezel. No way Palm would have done that, and you know they had it forced on them by the TouchSmart group.

Nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The TouchPad was already an HP design that they were planning for an Android tablet. That's why it doesn't have a gesture bar in the bezel. No way Palm would have done that, and you know they had it forced on them by the TouchSmart group.

Nothing to see here
    I'm not so sure. I don't think a gesture bar would work on a tablet device. The bezel has to be used to hold the device, unlike a smart phone. HP|Palm has been on record stating just that - the gesture area doesn't work on such a device.
    Let's just say I think it was a major religious struggle between the TouchSmart people that have been doing touchscreen UI development for HP, and the new kids that came with the acquisition. And HP was already down the path to build android tablets...

I just wish I could have been in the room to hear the arguments... just a hunch they were pretty wild. Might even been a catalyst for some of the big names that left Palm shortly after the acquisition...
    Is this an admission of sorts by HP that they missed the boat with the TouchPad? It's definitely a nice device, but there's really no reason someone should wait several months for it when they can get an iPad2 pretty soon.
    Two things becoe hauntingly pertinent with this article:

1. Just like HP has done with their other acquisitions, Palm is getting squeezed out of the picture now that their IP has been captured and HP has had a few months to work along side the old Palm employees.

2. "We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business." -- Mark Hurd
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Let's just say I think it was a major religious struggle between the TouchSmart people that have been doing touchscreen UI development for HP, and the new kids that came with the acquisition. And HP was already down the path to build android tablets...

I just wish I could have been in the room to hear the arguments... just a hunch they were pretty wild. Might even been a catalyst for some of the big names that left Palm shortly after the acquisition...
    How big is the TouchSmart division and which business unit is it in? anyone know? Maybe like the old Microsoft model*, they are expected to compete against each other? (as the teams behind Livesync, Livemesh and em.. that other sync product were expected to).

* Just as an aside here, crazy as it seems, teams in Microsoft were often not allow to fix problems with certain web products to make Office look better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Two things becoe hauntingly pertinent with this article:

1. Just like HP has done with their other acquisitions, Palm is getting squeezed out of the picture now that their IP has been captured and HP has had a few months to work along side the old Palm employees.

2. "We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business." -- Mark Hurd
    That's what I've been thinking. I believe that HP will be out of the smartphone business within a year or two. The first step is to move the tablet where the rest of there computers are.

When I first read about HP buying Palm, my first throught was that they was going to replace there TouchSmart UI with WebOs. And I still believe it.

I can see HP having a tablet that is all WebOS. On there TouchSmart computers, WebOS will be the UI. And after Microsoft releas Windows 8, all of HP computers (tablets, laptops, desktops) will have WebOS. The laptops and desktops will be Windows 8 computers with the WebOS UI.
    Wow, this was an unexpected vote of no confidence in the TouchPad.

I wonder if HP is still planning on releasing the TouchPad despite the rumored reconsolidation.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Wow, this was an unexpected vote of no confidence in the TouchPad.

I wonder if HP is still planning on releasing the TouchPad despite the rumored reconsolidation.
    So moving the TouchPad into another division is a vote of "no confidence". How so?
    I'll answer that when I have a few hours to debate the meaning of words like "division" and "confidence" and "status quo" and "competitive design" and "homogenization" with you.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast