1.    #1  
    HP thinking on the next gen TouchPad , a netbook/tablet PC maybe.?

Notebook brand vendors worldwide are facing a significant impact of the tablet PC industry.

These vendors believe netbooks with features of tablet PC will still help them to receive attention from enterprise buyers.

HP, which originally let its handheld device department handling related R&D for its TouchPad tablet PC, is already considering to let its notebook department to deal with the development of the next-generation TouchPad and the team is already in discussion of the device's specifications and market position, the sources noted.

Asustek is already giving its 10.1-inch Eee Pad tablet PC an external keyboard to allow the device to become a fully-functional PC with USB extensibility, and is also planning to avoid from the current iPad 2 wave, and will develop new netbook with concept of tablet PC to counter Apple's iPad 2.

Notebook brands to compete against Apple with tablet PC-featured netbook

Tablet PC-featured netbook . Right or wrong direction for the notebooks makers.?
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    A weird beast that will go nowhere.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    A weird beast that will go nowhere.
    If they make a swivel netbook/tablet like DELLs, will go nowhere too ?

I ask you this because the notebooks makers are having problems to launch their tablets now and some will postpone it and because of the low price of the ipad. Not mentioning HP webos on this Related news here:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110307PD221.html

I mean what would be a better solution?
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    For the Tablet market? Step up their game and actually be competitive against the Ipad. Making some weird frankinstein monster isn't the way to do that.
    While I could see the benefit of having a keyboard/touchpad (as in the square at the bottom of laptop keyboards) for when I'm sitting at a desk, I dont plan on my main use of the touchpad being at a desk so i want it to be thin and light and having a keyboard detracts from that quite a lot.
    Apple created a category* (lightweight tablet, instant on, insane battery life, cheaper than anticipated) and told us that we need it for a specific use (app store, browsing, media and now facetime).

They built this category on their terms, to favor their strengths, supply chain, and business model.

Now other manufacturers are trying to horn in on that. Which is fine -- competition a good thing and without the iPad2 would probably not exist -- but that means they are playing Apple's game, playing to Apple's strengths, instead of their own.

What they really need to do is create their own products that favor their own strengths and skills, that take advantage of their supply chain and business model.

In other words, what's the next big thing? Who's thinking it up?

*I am not claiming Apple invented tablets, but there is no doubt that they created the tablet configuration today, that everyone is clamoring to get in on.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Apple created a category* (lightweight tablet, instant on, insane battery life, cheaper than anticipated) and told us that we need it for a specific use (app store, browsing, media and now facetime).

They built this category on their terms, to favor their strengths, supply chain, and business model.

Now other manufacturers are trying to horn in on that. Which is fine -- competition a good thing and without the iPad2 would probably not exist -- but that means they are playing Apple's game, playing to Apple's strengths, instead of their own.

What they really need to do is create their own products that favor their own strengths and skills, that take advantage of their supply chain and business model.

In other words, what's the next big thing? Who's thinking it up?

*I am not claiming Apple invented tablets, but there is no doubt that they created the tablet configuration today, that everyone is clamoring to get in on.
    Interesting.

Lets build our patterns to the next future. Pls shoot your wonderful ideas, yes you too

lets see:

I want a wristch watch that projects an hologram apps launcher that I can tap and browse and make everything my actual advanced smartphone is doing.

Tapping the hologram I can share my photos with my friend next to me via wi-fi ,just swiping to his hologram device.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Perhaps HP should skip the tablet market altogether and move directly to sheet computing.

Yes they should go that way faster too. The display sheet computing connected via wi-fi with any device for fast share of anything. And not only for smartphones but for all kind of sized displays.
    competition is making it's own products. It's silly to invent a wheel when it's invented already. Like notebook market with windows, osx and linux notebooks and netbooks, generally offering almost same functionality on every platform: messaging, office productivity, web browsing and multimedia; tablet market also has at least shape of functionality which must be regarded. So, like notebook and netbook market, tablet market will be full of similar products. For HP would be bad to reinvent tablet concept. They simply have to go with a flow offering different os philosopy, but with identical functionality.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    competition is making it's own products. It's silly to invent a wheel when it's invented already. Like notebook market with windows, osx and linux notebooks and netbooks, generally offering almost same functionality on every platform: messaging, office productivity, web browsing and multimedia; tablet market also has at least shape of functionality which must be regarded. So, like notebook and netbook market, tablet market will be full of similar products. For HP would be bad to reinvent tablet concept. They simply have to go with a flow offering different os philosopy, but with identical functionality.
    Do you mean a new way to access , what is now needed . ?

I think HP forgot the Pre gestures on the TouchPad. Now BB Playbook copied that.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Perhaps HP should skip the tablet market altogether and move directly to sheet computing.

That's exactly what I was thinking of when I typed that. Flexible panels, computers on wrist watches that do things I don't even know I need yet.

I want a solar powered phone and computer!

HP has a lot of technical prowess. Sure they can make iPad knock offs (and at a poorer margin then Apple) but they are also capable of inventing their own product categories as well.

Where's the ingenuity?
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    If I was HP, I would take my time.

HP is in no position that they need to rush a new product out the door. After they acquired Palm they should have taken the necessary time to ensure that webOS is more than ready for its re-debut on tablets and smart phones.

The biggest thing: developers and developer tools. This is key.

They should be spending the time and resources to make sure that webOS developer tools are on par with or better than iOS. They also should have done what's necessary to make sure that products that make the iPad popular and successful will also exist on webOS (Netflix, medical apps, productivity suites, etc.)

The biggest complaints with the Xoom and other Android tablets and the leading cause for return: doesn't feel ready / lack of applications.

The TouchPad can have the best OS on the planet but if the device isn't usable and not much more than a novelty, what purpose does it really serve?

But even if HP did everything listed above, and more, that doesn't guarantee success. As many like to claim here, webOS is the best mobile OS in existence, but people still prefer others.
    you can reinvent something . The wheel has been reinvented several times !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I see a future with low powered WebOS wall modules that are charged from ambient light and sync with your WebOS phone or tablet with the touch of a button. They are set up from your main device, and hang next to your bed, in the bathroom, in the kitchen, or wherever you need them. They don't have much memory on them, and have limited functionality, but would be very useful to have lying around. Put simply, these modules would all run an advanced version of exibition mode. Default applications would be a clock with alarms, and picture slideshows. Each module could be further customized with a few additional apps. For the bedroom, this may be a component control app, or simply a button to turn everything off at night. For the kitchen, this can be oven / refridgerator controls, and a recipe app with walkthroughs. For the bathroom, it can be a music player, a daily comic video, or tips to fix plumbing.

These would all have sensors that detect when someone is in the room, so they would be shut off automatically and charge most of the time. But they could be everywhere, and they can be managed from a main WebOS device, a phone, pc, or tablet.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

HP made tablet announcement. Hp is near launch of it. Hp will launch it in market defined by Apple. So, HP should put in it
    a)rear and front cam, hdmi, and display with some cool name for it's technology, best cpu HP can find (that's checked), lots of ram and storage (checked too)
    b)software tools to utilize all tech embedded in touchpad.
    HP can't force anyone to develop for WebOS but must provide tools - all
    API's to be at disposal for potential developers. Palm was irresponsible enough and that madness must stop.
    c) Touchpad must be capable to do out of the box anything Ipad can.
  16.    #16  
    HP must go with a advertising campaing , high lighting the features the others and the Ipad dont have. Something like: "I am going beyond but you dont"
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    I see a future with low powered WebOS wall modules that are charged from ambient light and sync with your WebOS phone or tablet with the touch of a button. They are set up from your main device, and hang next to your bed, in the bathroom, in the kitchen, or wherever you need them. They don't have much memory on them, and have limited functionality, but would be very useful to have lying around. Put simply, these modules would all run an advanced version of exibition mode. Default applications would be a clock with alarms, and picture slideshows. Each module could be further customized with a few additional apps. For the bedroom, this may be a component control app, or simply a button to turn everything off at night. For the kitchen, this can be oven / refridgerator controls, and a recipe app with walkthroughs. For the bathroom, it can be a music player, a daily comic video, or tips to fix plumbing.

These would all have sensors that detect when someone is in the room, so they would be shut off automatically and charge most of the time. But they could be everywhere, and they can be managed from a main WebOS device, a phone, pc, or tablet.
    wow that is a wonderful idea . You are on .
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    This maybe a dumb question, but why would I want a touchpad when, for a few hundred dollars more, I could get a fully functioning touchsmart TM2? (which I already purchased for less than $900). 6 Gigs ram, 500 GB HHD, dedicated graphics, touch screen, i5, stylus, keyboard (which we all love about our Pre's), a full OS, and the option to install any software we want. With freeTether on my pre to boot. Yes, it's a few lbs heavier, but it seems like an easy choice, at least for me that is. That's a heck of a lot more bang for the buck, yes?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by lapk78 View Post
    This maybe a dumb question, but why would I want a touchpad when, for a few hundred dollars more, I could get a fully functioning touchsmart TM2? (which I already purchased for less than $900). 6 Gigs ram, 500 GB HHD, dedicated graphics, touch screen, i5, stylus, keyboard (which we all love about our Pre's), a full OS, and the option to install any software we want. With freeTether on my pre to boot. Yes, it's a few lbs heavier, but it seems like an easy choice, at least for me that is. That's a heck of a lot more bang for the buck, yes?
    IMO that is a matter of people choices and about what are you used to do or need for your common daily life or for your business or work life.

If I am a fashion or graphic designer and maybe for business I will go better with your device. I think it is now $600 to $700 offer on HP.