Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I've got a birthday coming up and will likely be getting a tablet. Obviously if the TouchPad was available I would pick up that one in a heartbeat but since we only have vague at best timetables for when it will come to market I'm considering getting another tablet that I could potentially flip when the TouchPad becomes available. I'm deciding between the iPad 2 and the Galaxy Tab. I figure the iPad would have the best re-sell value simply because its an Apple product but I think I would enjoy the Galaxy Tab a little more. I like the form-factor of the Galaxy Tab but have no intention whatsoever of using the 3G radio at all and would buy it off contract. It would be strictly wifi for me, both at home and at work plus I can use freeTether from my Pre for any on the go needs I would have.

Any suggestions?
    iPad 2 is a no brainer for overall features/cost/apps/resell
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    +1
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    I'm afraid you're right I've always hated Apple products and wouldn't look forward to using anything that gives iJobs any loot. Is there an easy way to get music on an iPad without using iTunes?
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I had an ipad and sold it to get the ipad 2. If the Touchpad turns out good, I know I'll have no problem getting a good return on the ipad 2. So win win asfar as I'm concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by verno329 View Post
    I'm afraid you're right I've always hated Apple products and wouldn't look forward to using anything that gives iJobs any loot. Is there an easy way to get music on an iPad without using iTunes?
    Not at this time due to the new firmware on iPad 2, but Media Monkey often works hard to sync iDevices. You just need to leave iTunes installed for the drivers. They are trying to get the Verizon iPhone working and will likely start on iOS 4.3 soon. I think they have a beta that is working for the new firmware. CopyTransfer may also work, in fact they are sometimes faster than Media Monkey in getting out compatibility.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Carrier tie ins with Galaxy Tab, that's why I hesitated getting one. Do you have to activate the Galaxy Tab before you can use it, like the Xoom? Or can you buy from the carrier and simply walk out?

I like the small form factor too, which is why I was also looking at the Nook Color(you have to root it though).
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I hear good things from people that bought a Nook from Barnes&Noble. Once rooted, you have a nice piece of hardware running Android.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    ipad.......i love it.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Carrier tie ins with Galaxy Tab, that's why I hesitated getting one. Do you have to activate the Galaxy Tab before you can use it, like the Xoom? Or can you buy from the carrier and simply walk out?

I like the small form factor too, which is why I was also looking at the Nook Color(you have to root it though).
    That would be my plan too. Buy it with no contract from either Sprint (who I've got service with) or Verizon but not activate it. I think Verizon makes you activate it then you can cancel the service after one month and just be out $35. Google helped me find that you can bypass the activation by doing this

1. Press “Volume Up” once.
    2. Press “Volume Down” twice.
    3. Press “Volume Up” three times.
    4. Press “Volume Down” four times.

And then you should be good to go. If only I had any idea when the Pre3 or TouchPad were coming out and which carrier(s) my decision would be so much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I hear good things from people that bought a Nook from Barnes&Noble. Once rooted, you have a nice piece of hardware running Android.
    Any thoughts as to how complicated the rooting is?

I have bought a cheap 8 " android tablet, cheap 10" one, color nook, viewsonic 10 inch, galaxy tab (well returned that one). The best one for the money is DEFINATELY Nook Color ($200 on ebay if you enter a code direct from B&N). I rooted it and have run many ROMs on it. It actually is decent for an android tablet. You can overclock it and everything.

All the other tablets really suck, think I will pick up an apple iPad2 and play with that (I really hate apple and only have a few apple computers and such)

Hurry up palm, really need a tablet that I can actually enjoy using without urges to throw it against the wall.
    If you're looking for a "throw away" tablet to tide you over I'd say go for the Nookcolor and root that or try to pick up a second-hand 16GB iPad 1. Either of those should be cheap options and be easier on you in the long run because you'll probably decide to keep them and at about the lose that you probably would have incurred trying to resell something else.

Or fi you're worried about device failure shortly after purchase, it looks like Apple is getting in on the "second-hand" sales as well: Refurbished iPad - Apple Store (U.S.)
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 03/07/2011 at 04:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Any thoughts as to how complicated the rooting is?
    Well, I don't know much about Linux. When I read about it on AndroidCentral it sounds complicated to me, whereas patching and overclocking on webOS made sense the first time I read about it. So that's probably more about webOS and Preware operating more closely to what I know a lot about, which is DOs/PC/Win/OSI stuff and less Linux or Mac. I still remember almost every bit of the DoS CLI, so I'm sure I could learn others. But I'll probably just buy my wife a Kindle and call it a day.
    Nook Color. Rooting it is as easy as loading files to the SD card and putting it in then turning the device on. At least it was a couple months ago.
    If you want to go the Nook color route I'd say head over to Barnes & Noble Nook Color - AndroidCentral Forums.

Personally, I think I might look into doing this as well. The smaller size tablet just seems right for a device with less features (par with the iPad 1).
    definitely ipad 2. android tablets have horrendous UIs.
    Wouldn't the UI be similar to the phones(non-Honeycomb versions that is)? I saw the Galaxy Tab, it looked similar to me. Carrier though, no thanks.

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Buying a tablet to wait for another tablet?

Wish I had money like you!
    If he gets the iPad, he can sell it and cover some of the new tablet. The Galaxy Tab may not sell so easily. The Nook Color is cheap so that's a good option if he can root.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast