Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I feel like all the devices announced have died down in hype.

I really do not understand HP's management for letting the same thing happen again to new products as the Pre.

The Touchpad seems to be an after thought as iPad2 and other tablets start making headlines and start shipping soon.
    well, there's been no new media or announcements since then so yea, it has died down a bit...
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Nothing to hype at the moment, if you are building expectation, you have to build to something.

Once they have got some carriers signed up and they have solid release dates, I would guess the hype machine will gear up and you'll see a lot of action.
    Last edited by CGK; 03/07/2011 at 07:41 AM.
    It seems like Palm/HP to try to get everyone really excited about something and then nothing...

It would be interesting to have been a fly on the wall at companies like HP and RIM during the Apple keynote when they announced March 11th. Grown men crying perhaps?

Maybe they learned they shouldn't say anything until they can actually deliver it!
    I don't see it as a bad thing, that HP/Palm is quiet for the moment.

All they wanted to do with feb9th was, to get developers on track. That worked very well imho.

For the consumers, they don't need their attention 3-4 months before release. They will catch up with them when the appropriate time has come.

And a very little hope inside me feels, that they still didn't reveal the full thing and are able to tweak some things for release (I jope they tweak the thing down to 650g at least).
    They've told us the storm is coming, so this is now the quiet before the storm arrives. I'm not concerned, I hope they are still tweaking the hardware a bit and further improving the software in this time frame. Let the poor guys work, the touchpad will come.
    no... if you want to get developers on track, you would have gathered them all together for a presentation of the tablet privately and make the sell to develop for them and come out with apps by launch time. You would have done this way before February to get them on board. And people would hear the buzz and how devs are excited and onboard.

Apple did this when the announced apps and had developers on showing their apps they had or were working on or what they could do in one or two weeks with the sdk.

the feb presentation was for the consumers... and a big fail imo if you have no launch date or price. but guess no choice... most likely they were just not ready (again) and everyone was releasing product. so to stay silent until june would have been perceived as negative too. But in that case, I would have waited until after ipad2 presentation to keep touchpad fresh in their minds and something to think about. At this point, people have forgotten... they are thinking ipad2, xoom, playbook.
    Oh, and yes.. the touchpad hype died since 2/9. Think it probably did a hurt on all the others too.

question... are there touchpad tv ads out there in full force? I dont watch much tv so I dont know. if not then, because if not i doubt people will remember there is a touchpad.
    Has anyone noticed how the inane complaining has died down since Feb 9?

Yeah, me either.
    no real good time. the big mistake was feb announce and release in 4 months?

by that time there will be so many ipad2 outs and they are showing every of their friends and coworkers gushing about it and available at the stores to touch... you cant pay for advertisment like that.

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    If HP's goal for the Feb event was to get some attention prior to the announcement of the iPad 2 then it was a success. Why? The other choice would have been to hold a webOS event a few weeks after the iPad 2. Imagine HP announcing a tablet which is that much thicker and heavier than the iPad 2 without HDMI-out and showing e-magazines rather than apps.
    HP's event for March 14 has been scheduled for some time. I suspect we won't hear much besides a trickle here and there (like the TouchPad appearing on Amazon) until then.
    Don't forget, one week from today there's supposed to be another HP announcement. Nobody knows what it will be, but I think as long as they keep talking about it they'll be alright. Every time a new developer is brought on board, they should make announcements for it too though... Can't let it die down since release is so far off.
    I wouldn't say it's "died" down.. I guess that depends on what you consider "died down"

There's just not much going on right now. They made their announcement. They have at least 1 story per week based on whatever it is, and then Leo's announcement next week for HP that will give the full picture of what they are doing...

everything is just paced evenly out
    But I am with CGK, why would there be? if HP started a massive media hype campaign about the Touchpad, wouldn't that be a poor decision? I think they are doing well by sneaking the touchpad into more generic "HP is cool" type ads. Specific Touchpad ads will start 6 weeks or so before the actual launch. Maybe less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    But I am with CGK, why would there be? if HP started a massive media hype campaign about the Touchpad, wouldn't that be a poor decision? I think they are doing well by sneaking the touchpad into more generic "HP is cool" type ads. Specific Touchpad ads will start 6 weeks or so before the actual launch. Maybe less.
    The hype certainly hasn't turned out to be a poor decision for other companies that do it.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    no way!! they should be using their size and money and do a marketing push at the very least the size that motorola and verizon did on the droid... tv, print, billboards, everywhere, that was so massive it was irritating. but it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    no way!! they should be using their size and money and do a marketing push at the very least the size that motorola and verizon did on the droid... tv, print, billboards, everywhere, that was so massive it was irritating. but it worked.
    Exactly! If they do that, they'll get attention and many that are interested will wait to buy it, rather than picking something else.

Sent from my favorite gadget!
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    But why? What's the point at the moment?

"Coming at some time to some network at some price".

HP take knocks for a lot of things but if the launch is not until the end of June (or some time around then), what's the point of spending millions now?

The Droid campaigns had an end-point didn't they?
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Exactly! If they do that, they'll get attention and many that are interested will wait to buy it, rather than picking something else.

Wait to buy what? When? How can you compel people to wait when you are unwilling to tell them how long for and where?

I don't see how in a Ipad2 world ("coming March 11th at $499 on AT&T and Verizon") how HP could run such a vague campaign, what is the advantage for HP? It's not even clear at this stage that HP actually *knows* who will be selling this device.
    i agree they shouldnt start hammering now if its still 3-4 months away. i guess i'm saying it should be there strategdy when they are ready, lol.

right now they are just dead in the water without a product. they made the decision for their reasons but thats what they are left with... that they hyped it in february... and dead until summer looking like idiots.

what makes them look really idiotic is the quote from the CEO before february...

"And gone will be the days when HP announces a product to great fanfare, and then nothing happens because the product will not hit the shelves until many months later when the buzz is forgotten and the technology ever so slightly-out-of-date."

"HP will stop making announcements for stuff it doesn't have. When HP makes announcements, it will be getting ready to ship."

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    But why? What's the point at the moment?

"Coming at some time to some network at some price".

HP take knocks for a lot of things but if the launch is not until the end of June (or some time around then), what's the point of spending millions now?

The Droid campaigns had an end-point didn't they?
    Last edited by donm527; 03/07/2011 at 02:15 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast