Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    i think webos 3.x is not anywhere near ready so they must be busy hammering away at the code....(what good is the hardware, if the OS ain't ready). Hopefully they will have it ready by June...I mean we saw "something" running on the touchpad demo and it looked half-way decent.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Wait to buy what? When? How can you compel people to wait when you are unwilling to tell them how long for and where?

I don't see how in a Ipad2 world ("coming March 11th at $499 on AT&T and Verizon") how HP could run such a vague campaign, what is the advantage for HP? It's not even clear at this stage that HP actually *knows* who will be selling this device.
    And that is the other part of the equation, they need more details and specifics.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Everyone should keep in mind that this "long wait" only applies to the small percentage of people that are in the know. Most consumers were completely unaware of the 2/9th event. WebOS will be starting from scratch in the general consumer's mind whenever HP does begin to "hammer away" with marketing.
    I wouldn't say "dead" per say. Mr. Google says there were 1260 news stories for "hp touchpad" last month. This past week there were 1200 so I would say hype is building not declining. Don't fear the iP2 as the blogosphere was fairly unimpressed with the new device (not counting the iFan sites of course).

I think HP is doing just the right amount. Device popping up here and there, different groups getting hands on with the device, the Dre video, etc. HP has more than enough budget for big marketing and has heavyweight contacts\contracts ready to go.

http://tinyurl.com/4cxgtbc
    yep. to this day, i would say most people dont even know what a pre or pixie is or have really seen webos. webos has had the worst luck in marketing.

by the time the touchpad comes out, RIM would have had theirs out a few months and people will think it's a Playbook ripoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Everyone should keep in mind that this "long wait" only applies to the small percentage of people that are in the know. Most consumers were completely unaware of the 2/9th event. WebOS will be starting from scratch in the general consumer's mind whenever HP does begin to "hammer away" with marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. HP is a big name and when they announce something, many, many people listen. Are the Wall Street Journal, LA Times, and USA Today small, obscure news sources??

H-P Plans TouchPad to Rival iPad - WSJ.com

Hewlett-Packard unveils new tablet device - USATODAY.com

Hewlett-Packard going solo with TouchPad, WebOS, in challenge to Apple's iPad | Money & Company | Los Angeles Times

EDIT: More

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...dware-deserves

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/tec...ry?id=12881702

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fas...hones_and.html

Again, these are NOT "tech" blogs (who ALL covered it) but are the main stream news sources read by MILLIONS. No way you can say "most consumers are unaware of the 2/9 event". LOL, wut? So on that day, someone hacked all the news sites and hijacked the news trucks so the papers didn't go out and the story wouldn't been seen??? LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    The hype certainly hasn't turned out to be a poor decision for other companies that do it.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Reminds me of the PS3's 4D 200fps claims.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Feb webOS event was just a carbon copy of Jan 2009. Smh.
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    Feb webOS event was just a carbon copy of Jan 2009. Smh.
    Apparently you didn't pay close attention.

In Jan 2009, they introduced one new phone with a new OS.

In Feb 2011, they introduced 2 new phones and a tablet.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Molly from Buzz Out Loud is actually becoming more of a proponent for the HP Touchpad, she is saying things like the Touchpad might be one of the few competitors for Apple. She seems to say that anytime IPad News come around. She even said today she wanted to get her hands on one.
    Hyped dieing? I'm still watching the video hands ons everyday over and over.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    not at all.. i have been waiting for this tablet for years and there's no changing how i excited i am to get one!
    **Once again, this isn't about the iPad. If you wish to discuss that please see one of the many threads in Cross-Platform. Let's keep this on-topic please.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dint56 View Post
    Molly from Buzz Out Loud is actually becoming more of a proponent for the HP Touchpad, she is saying things like the Touchpad might be one of the few competitors for Apple. She seems to say that anytime IPad News come around. She even said today she wanted to get her hands on one.
    Molly Wood? She's a bit of a jonah - all of her major tech predictions are generally wrong, I don't rate her at all. If she thinks it's going to be a success, it will be DOA.
    Quote Originally Posted by dint56 View Post
    People often say things like this about unfinished devices because there's always the hope they could turn out better than they appear. This was true of the Galaxy Tab before it was available and the Xoom had a short honeymoon between CES and its release. The experience of everyday users getting their hands on on a device often pulls predictions of perfection back into the bright light of reality (as with the Galaxy Tab and the Xoom).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12