1.    #1  
    I'm predicting that the TouchPad may be going back to the drawing board. Why? Because HP can easily predict what the demand for this device will be by staging a few hands-on focus groups with the TouchPad, iPad 2, Xoom, and Playbook over the next several weeks. If things don't look good, they don't have to launch. HP has plenty of other businesses that they are in. They don't absolutely need to be in tablets right now - especially with a potentially expensive failure. Areas of concern: carrier buy-in, no HDMI out, available apps, plastic body, lack of rear-facing camera, pricing, already-late ship date, availability of components, defining a target market.
    Last edited by UntidyGuy; 03/04/2011 at 11:21 AM.
    I dont think lack of components will delay. My guess is that tablets are already in production. Software tweaking can push back the release date.
    How do you determine if they're delayed or not with a release window of "Summer"?

I think they will more or less ship on time in some form or another....probably July direct from HP.
  4.    #4  
    They wouldn't let anyone even handle or use the TouchPad at the event and they aren't going to be shipping until June. There's no way that retail units are already being manufactured.
    As I stated in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    WiFi-only Motorola Xoom appears at Sam's Club, bearing $539 price? -- Engadget

The Xoom is already being discounted. I'm predicting that the TP will not be released as demoed. I think it will be reengineered to include a back camera. They may also include a different back so that it doesn't look so cheap with the glossy plastic.

Additionally, they will write some first-party software for creatives. I'm guessing a Brushes-style drawing app, and the price will be $399. Either that, or they will bump up the release date and ship it with a reduced version of the OS and promise an update in the coming months. They have to see the train coming. All of the second-tiers will be releasing faster and cheaper than even they expected. HP has to follow or concede. The time for pretending everything is OK is over.
    I think it far more likely they will push the date up rather than back. They will do so with a scaled back version of the OS. Then, they will release the product they announced late in the year as rev. 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    They wouldn't let anyone even handle or use the TouchPad at the event and they aren't going to be shipping until June. There's no way that retail units are already being manufactured.
    Unless, of course, the reason they didn't let people handle it was because of the software, not the hardware.

Besides, at least on user on here claims that he was able to handle it. Are you sure they weren't letting a few select users there handle it. Maybe they restricted it to those that were super-hyped Apple fans that were looking to denigrate the device.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Did we get any independent confirmation about that webcast that Leo was suppose to have given yesterday?

As mentioned above, it will be hard to say if it's delayed because we have no release date. My *guess* is that they will try and move up the release and hope that app developers come on board quickly. I'm not sure they will get into re-engineering as surely that has to added a few more months to the timeline? We'd be looking at an autumn release surely?

Also it might be that they are happy with the what they perceive to be the value of the device and stick to their original plans (whatever they actually are?).
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Did we get any independent confirmation about that webcast that Leo was suppose to have given yesterday?

As mentioned above, it will be hard to say if it's delayed because we have no release date. My *guess* is that they will try and move up the release and hope that app developers come on board quickly. I'm not sure they will get into re-engineering as surely that has to added a few more months to the timeline? We'd be looking at an autumn release surely?

Also it might be that they are happy with the what they perceive to be the value of the device and stick to their original plans (whatever they actually are?).
    Yeah, that's the thing. They haven't set any detailed metrics or detailed a vision beyond tap-to-share, so it's gonna be nigh impossible to claim they aren't meeting whatever vague goals they had for the tablet in the first place.

The only detailed metric goal is the following:

"We have a significant inventory of apps committed for delivery to the ecosystem that will be acknowledged when we ship, that will put us in the tens of thousands of highly relevant, important apps in the store," McArthur said.
    So basically, they need to secretly stockpile about 14,000 new apps ready to launch by "summer." (I'll be generous and hold them to the latter timeframe instead of "early spring" with the Veer.

How many will be tablet-optimized? Who knows.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think the Apps thing is fantasy unless they have way of running android apps in an emulator.
    HP didn't let people use the TouchPad because some apps installed were not done yet. They did let Joshua Topolsky use it and demo it in the Jimmy Fallon show. And HP is constantly mentioning WebOS whenever they can. So I don't think it will be delayed, it is most likely been mass produced right now.
    <<closed>>

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm predicting that the TouchPad may be going back to the drawing board. Why? Because HP can easily predict what the demand for this device will be by staging a few hands-on focus groups with the TouchPad, iPad 2, Xoom, and Playbook over the next several weeks.
    Feel free to continue this 'prediction' here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...alaxy-tab.html
    Just call me Berd.