Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    whats the infatuation with an hdmi port?
    If you have the money to get a touchpad don't you think that you have the money to have a blue ray machine hooked up on your tv to stream movies?
    I travel a ton for work and most of the hotels I stay in have LCD tv's now. My work laptop only has VGA out, so it would be nice to be able to hook up a laptop to the tv instead of having to take my personal laptop on the road too.

Honestly, HDMI out is the only hardware that might keep me from buying the touchpad.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by wodin6 View Post
    I travel a ton for work and most of the hotels I stay in have LCD tv's now. My work laptop only has VGA out, so it would be nice to be able to hook up a laptop to the tv instead of having to take my personal laptop on the road too.

Honestly, HDMI out is the only hardware that might keep me from buying the touchpad.
    so why didn't you get a laptop with hdmi out?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Because it's pretty damn nice, once in a while, to be able to put what you are doing or watching up on a TV or projector. Have you been in a nice hotel room lately? They all have large TV screens with HDMI ports. Think of what educators and students of all kinds will be able to do without having to worry about the ancient locked-down computer in the classroom.

How many times have you been to a presentation where people had problems getting their content up on the screen? It happens all the time and it's a total nightmare for everyone involved.

HDMI out was kind of a surprise for the iPad 2, especially, as it can automatically mirror the display for any app - no modifications necessary. Previously, it seemed that developers would have to use an API to display out of the HDMI port.
    I guess it may be nice for business reasons. I was thinking more along the lines of home entertainment. I typically just put my presentations onto a flash drive.

So, I wonder if there is any possibility that an HDMI out could be added to the touchpad before it's released. How long do companies start manufacturing before the release date?
    I could care less about it as well OP
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    whats the infatuation with an hdmi port?
    If you have the money to get a touchpad don't you think that you have the money to have a blue ray machine hooked up on your tv to stream movies?
    Home use: It would be nice to:
    - Share pictures at home or at a friend's/relative's home on the big screen
    - Watch HD videos taken with the rear-facing camera (oops! Nevemind!)
    - Watch movies stored on the device
    - Play games on the big screen

Work use:
    - Give presentations at the office or a client's site
    - lead discussions/brainstorming sessions using mind-mapping software

School Use:
    - Display interactive presentations for the whole class
    - Take advantage of a huge library of education software that can be displayed on a large screen.

Obviously many of my suggestions are based on having a large software library like the iPad.
    Even my netbook has an HDMI output. It's always good to be able to connect things to external video.

I see people using iPads to to sales presentations / powerpoint all the time. If there is more than one person watching, you may want to connect to an external display or projector. That's really a common need. And as universities (and even High Schools) start passing out iPads to students at enrollment so they can get their text books via iBook or Kindle... this becomes even more important.

It won't be long before we are seeing tiny little projectors in phones, cameras, etc.

Personally I'm hoping for HDMI over wirelessUSB to become practical so we can avoid the wires. Even if I have to carry around a little receiver to plug in to the projector, that is way better than wires. But until that is a reality, HDMI is like a rear-facing camera... it's cheaper to add it than to convince buyers that they won't need it.

something just occured to me... why don't people ask for firewire anymore? firewire has video transport built in but even Apple couldn't keep it from disappearing.
    Would have been nice for the TouchPad to have HDMI or some sort of output port, but its not where the value proposition lies with TouchPad. The value of TouchPad is in HPs vision to grow the WebOS family and have seemless integration across all kinds of devices. Right now, HP should focus on delivering a solid WebOS experience. Things like HDMI and rear facing cameras should be secondary.
    As long as it supports DLNA what's the point in using an HDMI cable?
    I DID get a laptop (netbook) with an HDMI out. But if I'm going to pay more to carry an iPad/TouchPad/etc. it's a feature I will need, or I will have to carry them both and somewhat defeat the purpose.

Also, there are now thousands upon thousands of apps that run on iOS/Android/(and someday webOS) that don't run on Windows or OSX. So if I want to demonstrate or show that stuff on a larger display, my notebook isn't going to help.

At the end of the day it's often just easier to put these features in than to explain to prospective buyers why they don't need them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    Because DLNA is not always wireless.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I DID get a laptop (netbook) with an HDMI out. But if I'm going to pay more to carry an iPad/TouchPad/etc. it's a feature I will need, or I will have to carry them both and somewhat defeat the purpose.

Also, there are now thousands upon thousands of apps that run on iOS/Android/(and someday webOS) that don't run on Windows or OSX. So if I want to demonstrate or show that stuff on a larger display, my notebook isn't going to help.

At the end of the day it's often just easier to put these features in than to explain to prospective buyers why they don't need them.

To be honest, I just write this off conversation off as part of the odd bunker mentality that this place often demonstrates:

"Who needs Apps? Use the browser"

"Who needs different form factors? Buy a slider"

"I see no point in any screen larger than 3.5"

"HMDI out? No point in it"

"Tablet? You should have got a laptop".

HDMI out has multiple usage scenarios especially in education and enterprise especially around presentations. It will just provide another selling point for Apple however much people here shout "I see no point in that" and sales people up and down the land will have to answer no to the question "My friend connects her ipad to her telly? can this do this touchpad do that?"
    Last edited by CGK; 03/04/2011 at 11:00 AM.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ikirumata View Post
    Would have been nice for the TouchPad to have HDMI or some sort of output port, but its not where the value proposition lies with TouchPad. The value of TouchPad is in HPs vision to grow the WebOS family and have seemless integration across all kinds of devices. Right now, HP should focus on delivering a solid WebOS experience. Things like HDMI and rear facing cameras should be secondary.

Truthfully I think that's mistake and isn't actually a value proposition - it only becomes that if you have interoperability and common standards between OEMs. Moreover, this time around (Touchpad v1.0) the seemless integration simply doesn't exist unless you plunk down near $1000 to own a phone and Tablet. That's a very hard sell to make to consumers, especially since many will be locked into a carrier for any period between 12-24 for their phone.
    think from a business standpoint - not consumer. some type of video out would be nice for presentations, hooking up to a projector would be great. As this keeps coming up in new threads, I'll explain again.

I am in technical software sales and have to demo enterprise software off a big laptop. The big laptop is not always necessary - if I am in a qualification meeting, at a kick off meeting, a trade show - I don't want or need to lug around a 17" laptop. In certain instances a presentation is all that I need to do, again the 17" laptop is overkill and the TouchPad with video out would be perfect.

HP is touting how the TouchPad is great for the business, day one you have exchange for email support, you can modify word, excel, powerpoint files, VPN, blah blah blah... but no video out. I see video out at a must for the business crowed.

Also, when travelling, this device is perfect for connecting to TV's while stuck in hotel rooms - if the hdmi out supports audio with the video. My current laptop has HDMI out for video, the audio is not supported so it is kid of a waste.
    why hdmi??..why smartphones..why technology?

why don't we all go back to living in caves and licking rain water off rocks?

evolution of technology is expected, so is the convenience of doing things..

Hope Pre 4 is able to do 1080p video with hdmi out and DLnA. I am tired of copying my pre videos to my pc and then to my ps3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    Agreed, however, not all display devices etc. support dlna. Hp should build it into the dock like port replicators for a laptop. Besides, the touchpad held in the dock connected to a display device looks much nicer that if the touchpad was just laying there next to it with cables all over the place.

Modern and seamless, cables are old school wireless is newer and cooler. If HP is to make it's world of connected devices, they should look into the entertainment center such as tvs, projectors, and in-dash receivers for cars to name a few. I hope they are, if not creating their own product at least some kind of partnership. Maybe Vizio and Alpine???

I would also like them to make some king of home moitoring system too. Imagine checking water comsumption, electricity comsumption, controlling your lights, ac, etc. in addition to your tv, inventroy checks of items in your fridge or canned goods, to name a few all from your phone or touchpad.
    Maybe HP expects everyone will have a touchpad therefore no need to hook to external displays for presentations. Lol
    Sorry to jump up on my soap box, but here goes:

HP is not in a position to dictate what is important and what isn't. They need to be giving consumers reasons to buy their devices, not excuses not to. This thing needs a docking port of some sort. Keep the mini usb for charging if you want, but it needs something to offer potential to developers and users. Look at adapters allowing people to plug instruments into their iPhone/iPad as an example. Why limit the possibilities?

If they had a dock like Apple's then they can come out with adapters and license it out to others. SD adapter for those who want to work with photos? Done. HDMI adapter? Done, etc.

The TouchPad might have great interoperability with the cloud and the Pre 3, but with other devices people own there is nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Starting next week people will be walking up to TVs, projectors, and media screens in conference rooms, hotel rooms, classrooms, lecture halls, and residences and plugging in their iPads via HDMI to play games, show home movies, create documents, Netflix, do app demonstrations, give multimedia presentations or video conference.

That's why.
    Not to mention you can use the cable on your other current iOS devices.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I remember reading somewhere that the touchstone was rumored to have hdmi and sd. Does this have any merit?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast