Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The ideal implementation is a cable that you can carry around with you that will allow you to walk up to any TV, monitor, or projector and plug one end into your tablet and one end into the screen.
    The IDEAL implementation would be to leave the cable out of the equation, and just tap your phone or pad against a TV, monitor, or projector to have the video displayed on it wirelessly. Think beyond!!!!!
    Sent from my Etch-a-Sketch.

#staycoolmybabies
    I've read about possible wireless HDMI, but is that even ready for prime time yet?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    hp's idea of think beyond... is releasing the touchpad in summer.

i think we should just lower the bar and hope they have a wired solution. besides wireless hdmi is not all that common yet so whats the point?

also, lets hope you tapping is not the only way to implement. in a boadroom and you have to walk across the room, "excuse me while I tap the monitor." or the projector is celiing mounted and you have to toss your touchpad at the projector to enable, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    The IDEAL implementation would be to leave the cable out of the equation, and just tap your phone or pad against a TV, monitor, or projector to have the video displayed on it wirelessly. Think beyond!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that the touchstone was rumored to have hdmi and sd. Does this have any merit?
    OMG thank you! Someone else who remembers this. Early reports of the Touchpad stated that the touchstone would have inbuilt HDMI and the Touchpad would stream HDMI content wirelessly.

http://www.precentral.net/topaz-specs-exclusive-details

# Wireless video streaming from Touchstone video dock to VGA or HDMI out
    # Wireless video game playing via Touchstone video dock
    If this is the case, then the competition is going to be behind on this one, not in front. The problem is that this hasn't been announced, and this was the feature I was most excited about
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    OMG thank you! Someone else who remembers this. Early reports of the Touchpad stated that the touchstone would have inbuilt HDMI and the Touchpad would stream HDMI content wirelessly.

http://www.precentral.net/topaz-specs-exclusive-details

If this is the case, then the competition is going to be behind on this one, not in front. The problem is that this hasn't been announced, and this was the feature I was most excited about
    This would be great. Granted, it would require carrying the touchstone with you as opposed to leaving it somewhere. It's better than nothing!
    Photos : HP WebOS-based Touchpad Tablet | ITProPortal.com

"He was also dismissive regarding suggestions that a HDMI port might be a useful addition, saying that users would rather watch movies on the tablet than connect it to a bigger screen.

Although there were no accessories for the Touchpad, we did have a closer look at the classy Touchstone stand that also serves as a syncing docking station, something that other competitors should emulate."
    thinking about it... so, you have to bring your touchstone dock with you when you want to do a presentation? go into the boardroom... find an outlet for your touchstone and then cable it to the hdmi on the TV? Or is it wireless hdmi from the touchstone? hmm...

Topaz Specs! Exclusive details on Touchstone v2 and much more! | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Photos : HP WebOS-based Touchpad Tablet | ITProPortal.com

"He was also dismissive regarding suggestions that a HDMI port might be a useful addition, saying that users would rather watch movies on the tablet than connect it to a bigger screen.

Although there were no accessories for the Touchpad, we did have a closer look at the classy Touchstone stand that also serves as a syncing docking station, something that other competitors should emulate."
    Now that is interesting. What do they mean by syncing docking station? This is the first I've heard of this.
    thinking about it... so, you have to bring your touchstone dock with you when you want to do a presentation? go into the boardroom... find an outlet for your touchstone and then cable it to the hdmi on the TV? Or is it wireless hdmi from the touchstone? hmm...
    This isn't as bad as you think. Rather than having a cable hanging out of your device, you simply plug the Touchstone into the presentation device using HDMI and use the Touchpad to wirelessly control it. Personally, I find this option far better that standing with a tablet with a cable hanging out of it. You can walk around the room with it in your hand and are not restricted by cable length.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    i think we should just lower the bar and hope they have a wired solution. besides wireless hdmi is not all that common yet so whats the point?
    The company that gets it to the boardroom first will dictate the standard that will be used in all kinds of consumer electronics devices. Do you think that it would be a good idea for Apple to dictate a standard like this?????
    Sent from my Etch-a-Sketch.

#staycoolmybabies
    Honestly, I was saying that instead of hoping HP puts in a wireless solution it's just best for HP to have solution and if wired is faster than so be it.

Because let's be honest, for all we know the touchpad is not coming out until summer. Ipad2 is coming out in... 3 days. Which company and tablet is really going to get to the boardroom first?

By Monday morning there will be iPad2s in the boardroom.

Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    The company that gets it to the boardroom first will dictate the standard that will be used in all kinds of consumer electronics devices. Do you think that it would be a good idea for Apple to dictate a standard like this?????
    Last edited by donm527; 03/08/2011 at 07:13 AM.
    I agree with donm527 in this thread. This is not making any sense for HP to NOT put video out on the TouchPad itself. If it ends up on the tourchstone ONLY, then fail.

Maybe HP has plans for TouchPad 2 be the end of the year... however I see it coming in early 2013.
    It seems not too many articles have been touching on the future possibility of video out through the touchstone. The only time I've seen mention of it was Cnet UK's article right after the Think Beyond Event.

Excerpt:

More intriguing is TouchPad's Touch and Share feature, which allows users to 'beam' Web pages running on its own display onto a Palm mobile phone simply by placing that handset against the TouchPad. HP says this feature will eventually evolve to allow users to transfer files, applications and application data between the TouchPad and Palm mobile phones using Wi-Fi, cellular networks or Bluetooth as transmission methods.

Wired connectivity is available, too. HP says it will likely ship an accessory that allows users to connect the TouchPad to an external display such as a television, so users can enjoy multimedia content on the big screen.
    Full Article:
    HP TouchPad | Reviews | CNET UK
    This isn't as bad as you think. Rather than having a cable hanging out of your device, you simply plug the Touchstone into the presentation device using HDMI and use the Touchpad to wirelessly control it. Personally, I find this option far better that standing with a tablet with a cable hanging out of it. You can walk around the room with it in your hand and are not restricted by cable length.
    I think it depends on implementation. Does the TouchPad need to be on the Touchstone to activate the HDMI out? If so it is significantly reduces the usefulness. If it somehow communicates wirelessly with the Touchstone so you can move around the room with it while projecting it would be a touch of genius (sorry, pun intended).
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I think it depends on implementation. Does the TouchPad need to be on the Touchstone to activate the HDMI out? If so it is significantly reduces the usefulness. If it somehow communicates wirelessly with the Touchstone so you can move around the room with it while projecting it would be a touch of genius (sorry, pun intended).
    I don't think that the Touchpad will need to be on the Touchstone. The Touchstone doesn't have any plug-in connectors to connect to the Touchpad; it would completely ruin the whole point of the touchstone if it did. This means it would have to use some sort of wireless technology to send data. It would therefore make sense that the wireless streaming could be done without the Touchpad being on the Touchstone.
    It would therefore make sense that the wireless streaming could be done without the Touchpad being on the Touchstone.
    It's certainly doable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Yeah, tell me about it. Just before the Touchpad was officially announced, I saw an advert featuring Airplay. Then when the Touchpad was announced, there was no mention of a similar technology. I'm so frustrated with this that I probably won't buy a Touchpad without it. Still can't bring myself to buy an IPad though.
    Something that comes to mind as a possible business plan. You take your touchpad to a business site. The company has a new HP Desktop for running presentations. through something clever with the palm profile, you can display what you do on the touchpad to the PC. Im sure tap-to-share would fit in there as well.
    Palm 3C>>M100>>M500>>Tungsten T5>>Tungsten TX>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>Centro>>Pre>>Pre+>>Pre2
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I think the issue is that these companies have a big enough road map that they are at advanced planning stages long in advance. Since HP acquired Palm less than a year ago it's impossible for them to have that kind of road map.

With all the work being done on Enyo and 3.0 one has to wonder if all their manpower is focussed on these tasks, or if others are already working on other phones/tablets and OS updates. Once HP can get to that point with webOS we will be in good shape.
    I happen to be a friend of a guy who worked in the printer division here in Boise and I can tell you they are working on stuff that won't be released for several years in that division so I don't see why they would handle their road map any differently with webOS. IMO there will be great things coming down the road...just not this year. I'm still getting the Pre 3 the minute it's on Sprint!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Topaz Specs! Exclusive details on Touchstone v2 and much more! | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

You just made my day! let's hope HP didn't dump the idea. they really should be advertising it. i can't see how video output isn't going to be important to entertainment and business users.
    WHEW HEW! What a ride!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123