Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm confused too. Some specs (if I remember right) did mention HDMI!?
    And why HDMI - even adult entertainment industry jumped in 720p/1080p wagon, why shouldn't HP?
    it would be nice to shoot some 720p movies on Pre3, touch to share it with Touchpad, and than to play it on large screen over HDMI.
    But, my reasons are mostly adult entertainment industry , though.
    HP will probably get all these things eventually. How long did they actually have access to webOS? Did everything in what is really a short period of time. How long does it really take to make a good product? I would say a year at least. Design, in house testing, field testing, testing with carriers, getting manufacturing squared away, optimization. This stuff takes longer than 9 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    HP will probably get all these things eventually. How long did they actually have access to webOS? Did everything in what is really a short period of time.
    HP has had access to webOS as long as any other developer has (~18 months). HP has known they were going to purchase Palm for almost a year. HP has owned Palm for over 8 months.

How long does it really take to make a good product?
    Regarding Palm and HP in the mobile device business, the answer to this question would have to be "unknown to date."

I would say a year at least. Design, in house testing, field testing, testing with carriers, getting manufacturing squared away, optimization. This stuff takes longer than 9 months.
    What are you basing this opinion on, your vast experience in the mobile device market? I'm guessing you don't work for Motorola since they're popping out new, award-winning android devices about once per quarter. Same with Samsung. ...and HTC. Maybe the real issue is Palm never quite had the secret sauce for this business and HP is a slow, stumbling giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    HP has had access to webOS as long as any other developer has (~18 months). HP has known they were going to purchase Palm for almost a year. HP has owned Palm for over 8 months.

Regarding Palm and HP in the mobile device business, the answer to this question would have to be "unknown to date."

What are you basing this opinion on, your vast experience in the mobile device market? I'm guessing you don't work for Motorola since they're popping out new, award-winning android devices about once per quarter. Same with Samsung. ...and HTC. Maybe the real issue is Palm never quite had the secret sauce for this business and HP is a slow, stumbling giant.
    I think the issue is that these companies have a big enough road map that they are at advanced planning stages long in advance. Since HP acquired Palm less than a year ago it's impossible for them to have that kind of road map.

With all the work being done on Enyo and 3.0 one has to wonder if all their manpower is focussed on these tasks, or if others are already working on other phones/tablets and OS updates. Once HP can get to that point with webOS we will be in good shape.
    For those people who're interested in projecting the TouchPad's display to the screen: don't worry, it's possible. Just do what Sachin Kansal does in his . Apparently there is a way to do it. Only problem is you might have a huge, black cable snaking behind the back of your TP.
    Whatever the technology they use, whatever the use scenario...

..my eyes are tired!

That's why I'd like it, anyway.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    IMO HDMI is a must for presentation. In my case I want to be able to show a client a pic & quickly draw over my ideas/designs w/ a stylus. i.e. pic of an empty room then I can draw where the furniture would be going or where the lighting would be etc.
    I'm assuming this would possible with the touchpad (drawing over a pic w/ a stylus). It makes sense to show the presentation on my 42 monitor than 10.
    The HDMI port is a great addition for alot of people. However, for most it isn't necessary or that big of a deal. If there was a HDMI port, I would use it but it would be just a cool little add on for me. Some people may want it for bussiness and that is why I hope HP will release a video out adapter along with it.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    In retrospect, if I were to do a presentation, I think I'd prefer to use a Veer with some kind of wireless protocol for transferring display to a screen or projector. That way, I can use the volume buttons on the Veer to move forward and backward in my presentation while leaving my hands free to gesture (in the air at the audience of course).

For me, I'd still like HDMI for the TP if only to display videos (and play back audio) I'd have on it which I take on the go with me when I travel.
    I got an HP DV6500 laptop. It has HDMI out. I love it. Makes sharing videos easy.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I haven't even realized until now that the TouchPad doesn't have video out capabilities, that is quite a problem. There has to be some way around this. HTC phones have ExtUSB, which is backwards compatible with micro-USB. Is there a way for video out to be made through an app or some kind of adapter or combination of?

Hey kupe, calm down man. I was trying to give hope to the webos faithful. I have an iPad, will be passing that on and getting the iPad 2, and the HP Touchpad when available.

In regard to my opinion, yeah it's an opinion, if I had a link I would have posted it. All I can go by is the different leaks on the iPhone 4, at various stages info was leaked, like iphone 4 showing up on certain companies weblogs; parts manufacturers leaking parts, case manufacturers leaking cases. These things happen in stages and at certain times in the year.

The first month after a merger, sale, acquisition there is political posturing, integration, systems being integrated so they can talk to one another. During the first and second months people are looking to keep their jobs and managers are looking to who is being kept and who is not. These are things I have experienced, 5 times. Was it like this for HP/Palm? I don't know I was not there. It could have been.

Then you have do develop a plan. Then there is design. I don't know, do you think HP/Palm only came up with one proto type? How much time does it take to lock up all your part manufactures, a month? Two? Since there was no touch only webos device, how much additional time was used to perfect that? How much time was alloted to field testing.

It's for these questions my opinion is that 9 months is not allot of time.

Not sure by what you mean that HP has had access to webos as long as any developer. Is there a link for HP planned to buy Palm for for almost a year? Didn't realize that but planning to buy and owning the OS is two different things.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 03/05/2011 at 08:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkiBluDawg View Post
    why don't we all go back to living in caves and licking rain water off rocks?
    2012 is just around the corner, my friend.
    Every TV and projector from the past 5 years has an HDMI input for presentations, movies, and so much more. Take a look at the chart. HDMI is the standard:

HP TouchPad vs. iPad 2, Xoom, PlayBook, Galaxy Tab

HDMI is cheap and easy. Tablets are the cutting edge. Why not include it?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 03/06/2011 at 08:25 AM.
    milominderbinder had a fantastic quote in the thread about the TouchPad not having a rear camera that I think is applicable here.

"You don't want to lose a $600 sale over a $1 part."
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    milominderbinder had a fantastic quote in the thread about the TouchPad not having a rear camera that I think is applicable here.

"You don't want to lose a $600 sale over a $1 part."
    Especially when that $1 part is provided by all of your competitors.
    Home use: It would be nice to:
    - Share pictures at home or at a friend's/relative's home on the big screen
    - Watch HD videos taken with the rear-facing camera (oops! Nevemind!)
    - Watch movies stored on the device
    - Play games on the big screen
    All of that can be done easily with an HP version of Apple TV. The other stuff in your post I agree with.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I have not cable at home, all my entertaiment is via online. and i have a nice, large flat screen to watch hulu, netflix, etc. on instead of a 10 inch screen. also, since my speaker/sterio is hooked to it as well, that's where the good sound comes from.
    Your right, it doesn't HAVE to be a HDMI, just a video/TV output.
    if HP doesn't do it, it will kill me, but i will go somewhere else :/
    besides, at work we have the Parmethian/smart boards and that's the cable hookup.
    WHEW HEW! What a ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The ideal implementation is a cable that you can carry around with you that will allow you to walk up to any TV, monitor, or projector and plug one end into your tablet and one end into the screen. It should mirror the screen and audio of the tablet so that everyone in the room can see and hear what you see and hear. There should be an option for the screen to display the location of touches.

It needs to be ultra-simple because very often you often have to set this up in front of a waiting audience and you might even be doing it off-the-cuff - "Hey, can you pull up that demo video on your iPad and put up on the screen?" Again, I can't count how many times I have been in the audience of a presentation where they were having problems with VGA-output, display dimensions, PowerPoint compatibility, recognizing USB cards, etc.

The iPad 2 HDMI-out implementation has some drawbacks because it does require an adapter cable and there will probably be some restrictions on outputting copyrighted media. However, the convenient size and the ability to mirror any app on the screen without developer modification is great.

Any business-oriented tablet implementation without this functionality has a big hole in it.

That's a good example. I'm not sure if I mentioned it in this thread or in another, but more than HDMI out is the need for a capable port that can be used as an input (sd card reader, input other devices, etc.) or an output (hdmi, vga, dvi, etc.) The mini (is it mini or micro) is great for charging because it's not proprietary, but it's pretty useless in terms of other features AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK
    I think the question should be...

HDMI... why NOT?

I have been in enough boardroom meetings myself where this will be fantastic for presentations. Turn on the iPad2 and not have to have all the execs in the boardroom stare at you while you wait 3-4 minutes for Windows boot from start and load your profile once you log in. And another couple of minutes to fiddle with enabling the fricken projector display and hope you dont have to tell them that you cant get it to work. Just plug and it's displaying without any config. Have an app like DocumentsToGo and load up your PowerPoint presentation in your iPad in seconds and go. So many uses.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast